Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 05:57 AM   #1

Anderson Ultimate Hitch

We will be future owners of a 2019 40’, 16500 GVWR, Pin weight around 2500-3000lb 5er with a 2019 TV being a 350/3500 diesel DRW with Crew Cab and long bed. I thought I was sold on useing the B&W Compainion hitch, but then I started checking out the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. I like that the auh is light weight and easy to remove from the bed, hooking and unhooking looks easy. We will be full timing and using the tv as our daily driver. I really don’t know how often we would really need to remove the hitch.

I do have concerns about the cable that is used to lock/unlock the ball to the pin box. How durable is that cable. Has anyone that uses the auh had any problems with it?

The pin box has that funnel to help it fit onto the hitch ball so you don’t have to line it up perfectly, but I know you still have to be within 1” or so. Can you see the ball/pin box form the cab while backing up? Or with the camera that shows the bed of the pu? I guess that same question would apply to the B&W hitch also. There will be times that I will be hooking up alone with no one to guide me.

Does the auh sit to high to use a cover for the bed? Can you still get the 5er to be level while hooked up (nose not ridding high)? I know the ball hight can be adjusted for height, but can it be adjusted enough?

Whichever TV I get I will have the 5er/goose neck tow package, which includes the puck system. Does the puck system interfere with the auh?

I would really love to hear from people that have used both of these hitches and tell me which you liked better and why. But still want to hear from those that have just used the auh and what you like and don’t like.

Before you say to search the site to find the answers, I did look and got some useful information before the thread broke down to snide remarks and bickering.

I guess that’s all my questions for now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

Have the Andersen now. Like most I started with the boat anchor 5th wheel hitch. Then thinking it would be better I went to the more expensive 5th wheel hitch. Then I went to a flat bed truck with a recessed goose ball so I tried the Andersen hitch.

Having owned an andersen no way would I ever go back to regular 5th wheel hitch, even if somebody gave me one of the expensive ones.

Because I have a flat bed I can not answer any of your view and fitment questions. I can say that if I had to do it all over again I would probably go with the Reese Goosebox. I pulled a friends camper around with one when I was deciding which hitch to install on my truck it was the only hitch that pulled smoother then the Andersen and when unhooked the bed is clean and empty. I didnt go with the Goosebox because my ball is recessed and my wife had a hard time getting lined up on it. In hindsight I should have spent the money for a camera for her. But to be fair I am TOTALLY happy the Andersen and how easy it is to remove and how well it performs.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I have place a link to a video that I made on my Andersen hitch and you can see my setup with the bed cover and Aux Fuel tank. Here are my answers to your specific questions.
The cable is strong and sturdy. I put magnets on the pull handle and it just stick to my pin box, didn’t want to drill any holes to install.
I can see the ball and pin adapter in my bed camera.
My bed cover goes over the Andersen hitch and my aux fuel tank making it all secure and mostly dry. The ball has 3 height adjustments.
My 2016 RAM has the in bed puck system and not problem, I actually use it to secure the safety tow chains which are required in some states.

Andersen Video:

https://youtu.be/itRof6IdPMQ
Old 04-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #4

Pin weight - remember that in most 5th wheels with a front bedroom there is storage in the front closet, storage under the bed, and the the basement storage that all adds weight to the pin. And some 5th wheels have a washer / dryer in the upstairs which, again adds pin weight. I carried chairs, electric heater, heavy 50amp cord, 1 gallon bug killer, 1 gallon weed killer, take, shovel, 6' step ladder, tiki torches with Costco sized fluid, container with electric cords, sunshade, and heavy bag of tools. The DW packed the storage under the bed with heavy sweeper, mop, broom, etc. etc. We put a bunch of clothing and shoes in the front closet plus the drawers in the bedroom.

My point is do not underestimate the pin weight. I bet we added 1,000 - 1,200 lbs of stuff that added weight to the pin.

Lucky my 2012 dually truck could handle all the weight. The CAT scale had my pin weight at 3,600 lbs.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Yep, pin weight can sneak up on you. I have a Onan generator sitting up front and my pin weight is about 3250. I think the Andersen Ultimate is rated at 4100 lbs. pin weight.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #6

Take a good look at the Reese Goose Box before you buy the Andersen.

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/pi...aYyvax6qakN26Y

I tried 2 traditional 5th wheel hitches plus the Andersen Ultimate before I bought the Goose Box. The only downside to the Goose Box is it is a little more difficult to hitch up the first few times, but with a little practice it is just as easy as a traditional hitch, and an in bed camera makes it even easier. Another plus is the bed space available when hitched, the Andersen takes up a lot of space in the bed.

I can't imagine pulling a large 5th without some kind of an air ride pinbox, it made a huge difference on my 10k lb 30' rig.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:29 AM   #7

The Reese Goose Box looks interesting, but since I will be full timing I’m not really sure how many times a year I would need to clear out the back of the tv bed to haul stuff around. For the 1-2 times a year that I would need to use the full bed of the tv I think the Anderson hitch would be pretty easy to take out. I think the AUH would be easier to hook and unhook. I did watch a couple of vids on the Reese Goose Box and it does look nice. If I had to use the bed of my tv a lot then I would consider it.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #8

AUH

I’ve had conventional hitch, Reese Goose Box and now Anderson ultimate. My pick is the Anderson over the others. It’s smoother than the Reese and it’s not hanging down in the way when you unhook, my Reese when it sat more than few days would need air, really not a big deal but something else to worry about. The locking cable works flawlessly. I’m about 16,500 for weight and 3,700 on pin. I’ve pulled this 10,000 miles and very satisfied. Anderson takes a bit more room in box, but you need to allow room for Reese to turn so about a wash. The new trucks have a deep box, that was maybe the biggest downside to the Reese I couldn’t get enough bedrail clearance in my opinion. There wasn’t any options to drop Reese any further for holes as well. I like minimum 6.5 clearance and 7 is better!
Old 04-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #9

I don't have any experience with the Companion or Andersen. I will say they are both solid joint hitches and will effectively transfer any forces your trailer makes to the frame of your truck. They will also transmit any truck generated forces to your trailer. These forces are significant and will stress your trailer frame welds over time. In addition, your towing comfort is compromised, 3,000# bouncing your truck frame up and down will be felt directly on your seat. The advantage to an Andersen is light weight, which you mention is of no value to you.

New truck, new trailer, do yourself a favor and get a Trailer Saver BD5. It will protect your gear and ensure a comfortable tow as a bonus. Sure, it is expensive, but the cost will fade away compared to the bucks you will be dropping on your 2019 gear. Both of the other hitches are quality products; the Trailer Saver just does so much more.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #10

I've used both, consider the Andersen Ultimate to be the only significant mistake I've made in regards to my fifth wheel.

I started with the Andersen Ultimate, 16k 38 ft fifth wheel. Dry pin weight is listed at 2580 but loaded generally 3200 to 3800 if I'm not careful with my loading.

Biggest issue with the Andersen was that it carries all the pin weight on the two set screws between the ball and the pin on the pin box. This resulted in the base plate of my pin box collapsing and my having to replace the pin box. Trailer was still under warranty, lippert said caused by hitch pin adapter, Andersen said some pin boxes just aren't strong enough to use with this hitch, not the hitch's problem.

Downsides to Andersen hitch: Not adjustable fore and aft, shifts all the weight aft of the rear axle if you use with factory ball mount in Ram truck. If the pin adapter is set so the ball is in front of the pin, the back of the pin box would hit the side rails of the truck if in a tight turn, especially if you weren't on flat ground. Hitching and unhitching when truck and trailer are at significantly different levels can result in ball binding in pin adapter, if it slides hard across the area where the lock pin slides while hitching it can result in a burr that prevents you from locking the pin until you sand/grind it off. Installation of the hitch is fairly easy, but you have to do the final bolt torque with the trailer hooked up. Depending on how you have the pin adapter installed, it can be difficult to get a torque wrench on the top bolt.

One other issue I didn't like with the Andersen is that all the weight is carried on the truck bed rather than the factory mounts. I actually watched the amount of bed deflection/movement when trying to move the trailer once in soft soil where I was getting a popping sound out of the hitch. The amount of bed movement was troubling to me. As for the pop, it turns out the hitch base was shifting a fraction of an inch on the truck bed, resolved after contacting Andersen by using a rubber matt under the hitch.

I bought a fifth airborne pin box to replace the pin box, and a B&W hitch for the factory bed prep. Loved the hitch. Quicker and easier to hitch than the Andersen, especially in way off camber situations. Very adjustable, but unfortunately, the hitch/pin box combination while riding great, resulted in my nose being high when maxed adjustment wise. This put my trailer axle weight distribution 1000lbs plus out of balance. I needed to replace either the pin box, or the hitch to get the adjustment I needed.

My final setup is the Reese Goosebox. Coming up on a year with it now, maybe 7k towing miles through most of the western states. Fast and easy to hook up, air/shock suspension that smooths out the ride, leaves access to the truck bed easy when not towing. For us, this is great as on the road I prefer to keep my generator, weighing over 100lbs in the front of the bed, but using it it works best to roll it to the back of the bed. I've had to go through a couple surgeries recently, with one more coming that keep limiting me on lifting so being able to roll the generator rather than lifting it is a real plus. Can't do it with the hitch in the bed, and even the Andersen exceeds what I should be lifting.

As for seeing the hitch to hook up, I haven't been able to see it with any of my setups since I have a bakflip cover in the bed. I put a camera in the truck bed and find it makes it simple to hit the hitch right on Only time I use the wife to spot is when I have to come in at an angle and I have concerns about hitting the trailer with the tailgate.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #11

I’ve seen the Anderson fail. Would never own one. Google a bit you will find some cracked legs. Aluminum is plenty strong-but when pushed past designed stress aluminum does not yield like steel. Aluminum cracks, tears, and snaps. Steel bends. If you want light weight in the bed I agree goosebox gen 2 is the way to go.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
I’ve seen the Anderson fail. Would never own one. Google a bit you will find some cracked legs. Aluminum is plenty strong-but when pushed past designed stress aluminum does not yield like steel. Aluminum cracks, tears, and snaps. Steel bends. If you want light weight in the bed I agree goosebox gen 2 is the way to go.
Pics of the one you "seen" fail or BS.
another of these "this one time at band camp a guy told me about a friends brothers sisters in laws husband had this one thing he heard about a failed andersen.

Do a google search you will find MANY more failed 5th wheel hitches..this mean they are all bad?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Pics of the one you "seen" fail or BS.
another of these "this one time at band camp a guy told me about a friends brothers sisters in laws husband had this one thing he heard about a failed andersen.

Do a google search you will find MANY more failed 5th wheel hitches..this mean they are all bad?
Here to call you out on supposed BS. Sorry if you work for Anderson no need to take peoples opinions on products so personally.

This one failed with a GD Momentum. Caused by the roto-flex pin box (odd torque directions due to flexing pin) according to Anderson. Tow vehicle NOT in an accident. Wouldn’t want to see one try to hold back my 16k fiver if I were in an accident. Spend some time searching I have seen several others on YouTube and truck forums. No standard fiver hitch would collapse like that. Lots of things work well if all goes according to plan-I personally like a little more wiggle room in strength for the unexpected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B430BF0B-F69A-4CC4-85A4-E74D8E0887B0.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	243899  
Old 04-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #14

Another one. This one collapsed during a hard panic brake. No impact other than RV to tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C098674F-B676-4A09-9434-DF94FF6E06F1.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	243949   Click image for larger version

Name:	3EFC3CB7-3DD2-4C19-83A3-A824C6DBD2F7.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	243950  

Closed Thread