Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #1

Anderson Ultimate Hitch and LCI

I have read a lot of posts on the Anderson Ultimate hitch and many of them claiming to have approval from LCI or their trailer manufacture that using an Anderson Hitch won't affect the warranty coverage.

I am getting close to trading our TT in on a 5W and as a result am deciding on a hitch... I was very much sold on the Anderson until I started sending emails to Coachmen (mfg of 5W we are considering) and LCI.

Coachmen simply responded that any question of frame / pinbox warranty needs to be directed to LCI... sure.. makes sense.

So I email LCI

My Message:
"I am getting close to purchasing a 2016 Coachmen Chapparral 360IBL 5th wheel camper and would like to know if there are any issues with using the Anderson Ultimate hitch on this trailer? I currently have a B&W turnover ball hitch for my cattle trailer and flat bad trailers.

If in fact this hitch is not recommended, can you recommend a solution for someone whom needs to keep a gooseneck hitch for other trailers?

Thanks,"

Their Response:
"Thank you for contacting LCI. The only thing we have currently that could be compatible is the Reese Goosebox. LCI stance on any type of altering from the original equipment that may cause damage or failure of the product may not be considered for warranty coverage. If you'd like to learn more about the Goosebox, please log in to www.lci1.com and check out the aftermarket components"

Not exactly the response I expected, nor did they really answer the question. At this point I responded saying: "Even though this hitch doesn't alter the frame or connection point, LCI would void the warranty if it is used?"

LCI's Response was:
"We can't advise if it's going to void the warranty. We don't know if the component is going to cause any structural damage or concern in the future. LCI stands behind the altering of the original equipment that could potentially cause harm to the unit."

I am assuming the last sentence is a typo and they didn't intend to say the stand behind altering the equipment.

So now I am confused and turn to my fellow RV'ers for some consult... I know Anderson has a policy that they will stand behind the product if the OEM does not, but I would like to hear from others whom are using the Anderson hitch... Have you all had similar correspondence? Has anyone seen any issues, cracking of pinbox's, flexing frames... anything that could potentially be called a hitch related issue?

So if I don't go with the Anderson hitch, what to use?

I don't want to take my B&W turnover ball hitch out... I need it for other trailers, and no I am not converting my cattle trailer to a 5W as I also use other peoples goosenecks, and they use my trailers with a gooseneck.

Can you put rails in the bed with a gooseneck? Seems the B&W would be in the way.

What about the B&W Companion hitch? Its very pricey indeed though...

Anyone use the Bulldog High Rise Hitch? It looks interesting indeed.... basically a lighter version of the B&W Companion by looking at pictures... but quite a bit more affordable.

I appreciate any and all thoughts and comments you all are willing to share.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #2

"What about the B&W Companion hitch? Its very pricey indeed though... "

Get the B&W you will love it! Rock solid and they sure don't inflate their tow ratings like some do.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #3

Thanks cummins... I am leaning that way... was hoping for some more responses... should have titled it "can I tow a 18k lb 5er with my S10" and I would get 100 replies ;-)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I have a 2015 F-250 I put a B and W turn over in just for the Anderson. Using it on a 2015 High Country 353
roothoss1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #5

Roo... how do u like it? What issues have you had and what pros do you see to this design?
Old 02-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Thanks cummins... I am leaning that way... was hoping for some more responses... should have titled it "can I tow a 18k lb 5er with my S10" and I would get 100 replies ;-)
Yes. As long as you do at least 85 mph on the ST tires to get up the hills in OD.
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:27 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Roo... how do u like it? What issues have you had and what pros do you see to this design?
Nothing but good. Easy to hook up and very light and clean. I think the whole set up was $1200
Old 02-08-2016, 05:48 AM   #8

So you're saying that LCI recommends their own product instead of something else? Surprising.

Ask a company's lawyer if the sky is blue and the best you can hope for is "We can't comment of the color of the sky, but please check out our products to help you enjoy whatever color the sky happens to be."

That said, for the OP's situation, the Reese Goosebox would work well and LCI says its ok.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #9

No matter what you get, warranty issues will not be easy to get fixed by the mfg. Andersen carries a $1M warranty policy. Contact them to see if they will take responsibility if LCIs components get damaged due to the hitch.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:29 AM   #10

There was a similar discussion on another forum about this issue. When looking at the Reese product and the Anderson, it appears to me that the Reese actually puts more stress on the pin box then the Anderson. The Reese moves the pin back further from the ball. The Anderson still has the center of the pin more directly over the ball. As Zac808 stated, Anderson has it's own warranty policy. I would not dismiss the Anderson because of what Lippert is saying. LCI has had a skectchy history of warranty claims and a few years back had quite the reputation for poor welds on it's pin boxes. If Anderson says it will cover any issues resulting from it's hitch, I'd still go with them.
LCI and Reese are in bed together and I'm sure any product other than a Cequent Group (parent company of Reese) will be poo-poo'ed by LCI.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

If you already a B&W keep it and look for Companion. Look on Craigslist for a used one. I upgraded from a B&W 3500 to 3600 for increased height on my new truck and have that laying around in the garage without the head assembly since the head assemblies are interchangeable. I have had B&W, Pullrite, Curt snd Reese and would not use anything but B&W.
scout4eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #12

Thanks scout! I do really like the companion.

Has anyone used the Bulldog/Reece hi-rise conversion hitch? It looks like a nice built unit too, but not knowing much about jaw type / other 5er hitch specifics I don't really know.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout4eagles View Post
If you already a B&W keep it and look for Companion. Look on Craigslist for a used one. I upgraded from a B&W 3500 to 3600 for increased height on my new truck and have that laying around in the garage without the head assembly since the head assemblies are interchangeable. I have had B&W, Pullrite, Curt snd Reese and would not use anything but B&W.
That is what I have is the B&W Turnover Ball and use the Anderson. Perfect setup