Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #15

Air bags just lift you up, but think; where do those air bags attach? The axle. So the weight is still on the axle, just more of it now.

You wouldn't need the auto system anyway. But it's not what you want to do at all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
the tow saga continues - new truck

Well I love my 2012 Dodge 2500. Black with gold bottom and I bet in the last year I put ten coats of wax on it. Even though it is stock it looks like custom paint. Not one ding. I park out and walk. Only 4000 miles. Point being I have gone out of my way to take care of it.

Well today is Saturday and I am going to look at new trucks that will pull 17,000 and 3,500 lb hitch weight. So I will look at 1 tons. Thanks to this forum I did not make a big mistake so I am reaching out on this.

Does it make much of a difference between short bed or long bed on 5th wheel. I can get a short bed crew cab in the garage.

As always thanks for the guidance,

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Air bags just lift you up, but think; where do those air bags attach? The axle. So the weight is still on the axle, just more of it now.

You wouldn't need the auto system anyway. But it's not what you want to do at all.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #17

I like long beds because you don't really have to worry about getting the front cap of the trailer too close to the cab.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Monaco View Post
Well today is Saturday and I am going to look at new trucks that will pull 17,000 and 3,500 lb hitch weight. So I will look at 1 tons. Thanks to this forum I did not make a big mistake so I am reaching out on this.

Does it make much of a difference between short bed or long bed on 5th wheel. I can get a short bed crew cab in the garage.

As always thanks for the guidance,

Don
One more thing, they do not make duallys in short beds. You are in dually territory with that set up.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Monaco View Post
... but then he said I could install air bags and have 3500-5000lb cargo weight.
Your salesman is either ignorant or stupid, or else he's willing to lie just to make a sale.

You will definitely require air bags or some sort of stiffened rear suspension if you attempt to haul that much hitch weight with an SRW pickup. But those suspension stiffeners do absolutely zero to increase the payload capacity of your pickup. They do not increase GVWR or rear GAWR of the truck.

What air bags do is bring the headlights back down from the sky, so you can tow at night without blinding oncoming traffic. And they raise the rear end of the heavily-loaded truck so it looks better - more level. Plus you want the rig level with the road so the trailer brakes will function properly, and the rig will tow straight with less tendency to go into an uncontrollable sway.

The only way I know of to legally increase payload capacity is to jack up the old truck and run a heavier-duty truck under it.

There are modifications you can do to increase GCWR (pulling power), but not payload capacity (weight hauling capacity) which is based on GVWR. GCWR depends on the power and torque of your drivetrain, and there are mods you can do to increase the power and torque of your drivetrain. Replace the ring gear and pinion with a numerically higher ratio. Hot-rod the engine with a towing tune. Improve the intake and exhaust systems to make them free flowing. Install smaller-diameter tires to in effect change the axle ratio to a higher numeric ratio.

But GVWR and rGAWR depends on the weakest link in your truck, including frame, wheels, tires, shocks, springs and other suspension parts. And brakes. The truck brakes have to be engineered to stop the weight on the two truck axles. The trailer brakes have to be able to stop the trailer, but if you exceed the GVWR or rear GARW of the truck, you may not have enough braking power to stop the rig in emergency conditions. And it's those emergency conditions that you are planning for when matching trailer to tow vehicle.

Quote:
Yes, it makes a big difference in the hitch you need. With an 8' bed you can use an ordinary 5er hitch. But with a shorty, you need a sliding hitch. Sliding 5er hitches are heavier and cost more, but if you use them correctly they will prevent the front of the trailer from crashing into the back of the cab.

There are basically two types of sliding 5er hitches - manual and automatic. Automatic costs a lot more. But with a manual slider you must be wide awake every time you put the tranny in reverse, and NEVER back up without first sliding the hitch. You probably cannot turn the rig sharp enough to have trailer to cab contact when going forward, but in reverse you can jackknife in a heartbeat, then CRUNCH!.

So the answer is the PullRite SuperGlide automatic 5er hitch. Fully automatic slider, so you need not worry about forgetting to slide the hitch. They come in three different mounting types: Original under-bed SuperGlide bed rails, OEM type that will plug into the 5er prep pkg offered on new Ford and Ram trucks, and so-called "industry standard" type that will use the Reese 5er bed rails that are above the bed floor. So if you buy a used truck that already includes the 5er bed rails, you can buy the correct SuperGlide that will plug into the bed rails.
http://www.pullrite.com/products/tra...ort-bed-trucks

If you're a Dodge fan, then Ram still makes shorty dually pickups. Ford doesn't, and I don't think GM does either. Ford offered them way back when, but they were very poor sellers, so Ford stopped offering them.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #20

My dealer told me that I could easily tow the new Heartland.
He was right my 15500 lbs gross unit is a dream to tow compared to the previous 11600 lbs unit that towed previously for 13 years.
Weight is not the only criteria in towing. The unit design plays a great part in the comfort.
One setup I do have is a solid 5th wheel hitch that allows my truck to have complete solid anchor to the truck tires that creates a smooth ride.
My larger loaded tires are inflated to a safe pressure that will absorb all the road bumps on the way.
I bought used 18in rims from an F350 last year and been using them for over a year and did over 10000 miles.
The capacity increased to 7400 lbs capacity on my rear axle. But coming back from Arizona a belt broke in one of the rear tire. In 40 years of owning radial equipped cars I have never experienced such tire problem. The previous owner must have used them under inflated.
I removed the tires and gone back to my 7 Year old 17in tires that I inflate to 80 psi with trailer on. And so far I am debating using the 18in again due to the great success with the 17in that are doing a great job.
I never usually worry about singles as more and more trucks are being modified to super singles.
And the motor home industry has been seriously thinking about using them.
Met the tester for them in Florida and his report is very positive with better handling, smoother ride, fuel savings and surprisingly easier backing up with less shearing in tight turns. And with the cost savings for rears allows for better front tires.

Tags
5th wheel