RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Another Towing Vehicle Question

I have read through many threads and want to know in advance of purchase if I need to be concerned or not. I would be towing with a Weight distribution hitch and an electronic brake controller. Here are the specifics:

Tow Vehicle:
GWR: 6000 lbs
GCWR: 12,500 lbs
Max Payload:1560 lbs
Curb Weight: 4440 lbs
Tow Capacity: 7500 lbs
TW: 750 lbs

Trailer:
Dry Weight 5890 lbs
TW: 590 lbs
GWR: 7000 lbs

I would anticipate not having more than 500 lbs gear in the trailer and 100 lbs of gear in truck with 450 lbs of occupants. I know I need to include a battery, water in W/H and propane for a total of 150 lbs. and another 75 lbs for the WDH. I calculate about 1305 lbs for the payload, 5745 for tow vehicle weight, 6540 for the trailer weight, and a combined vehicle weight of 12,285 lbs.

Am I fooling my self since it meets all the numbers that this would be a safe combination since it is very close on the combined vehicle weight?

DrSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSafety View Post
I have read through many threads and want to know in advance of purchase if I need to be concerned or not. I would be towing with a Weight distribution hitch and an electronic brake controller. Here are the specifics:

Tow Vehicle:

GWR: 6000 lbs

GCWR: 12,500 lbs

Max Payload:1560 lbs

Curb Weight: 4440 lbs

Tow Capacity: 7500 lbs

TW: 750 lbs

Trailer:

Dry Weight 5890 lbs

TW: 590 lbs

GWR: 7000 lbs

I would anticipate not having more than 500 lbs gear in the trailer and 100 lbs of gear in truck with 450 lbs of occupants. I know I need to include a battery, water in W/H and propane for a total of 150 lbs. and another 75 lbs for the WDH. I calculate about 1305 lbs for the payload, 5745 for tow vehicle weight, 6540 for the trailer weight, and a combined vehicle weight of 12,285 lbs.

Am I fooling my self since it meets all the numbers that this would be a safe combination since it is very close on the combined vehicle weight?
No water in the fresh tanks? I don't think weight capacity alone is a fair judge of the ability of a TV. Engine and braking ability are important too. What's the length of the trailer? Can the TV control that length? On paper things look close but not leaving more wiggle room can cause problems with real world weights and how close to white nuckle driving you'll be.

By your numbers I'm guessing half ton truck and mid 20f trailer?

ASTMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
No water in the fresh tanks? I don't think weight capacity alone is a fair judge of the ability of a TV. Engine and braking ability are important too. What's the length of the trailer? Can the TV control that length? On paper things look close but not leaving more wiggle room can cause problems with real world weights and how close to white nuckle driving you'll be.

By your numbers I'm guessing half ton truck and mid 20f trailer?
New Ford Ranger so not quite a 1/2 ton. Thank you I wanted to add 30 ft overall length of the trailer above but missed it. I previous towed a 23 footer with a different tow vehicle.

Yes no fresh water. We always traveled with empty tanks.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
New Ford Ranger so not quite a 1/2 ton. Thank you I wanted to add 30 ft overall length of the trailer above but missed it. I previous towed a 23 footer with a different tow vehicle.

We have a Jayco 242BHSW that's 30ft. I was towing it with a Nissan Titan, well towed it twice with it (home and one trip), and then I moved up to 2012 F250 gasser. I was right at the capacity of the truck with the Titan set up and it was more a control issue than a making it go issue.

Do you really want to limit your self to a very tight set of requirements to be able to go somewhere? What if down the road you want to go somewhere and you have to haul water? Sure it might tow ok in good weather but what about if you get caught in a stronger cross wind? Or even in one that isn't too strong if you're towing close to max ability? What about hills? What about control in an emergency maneuver? Ya I know, I'm a "little more rather than just enough" kind of guy when it comes to towing. There are plenty of people who look at towing differently, my brother is one of them but to each his own.

I can say from trying to use a half ton for our 30ft my gut response is don't do it. We had a Prodigy controller so I had a good setup for stopping our trailer and being right at the max of the trucks ability made it a chore to stop. Luckily I learned it trying to make a quick stop to make a turn to get to a camp ground and not an emergency. I never had to find out what a strong cross wind would do to the Titan but I did tow in one with the F250 and I'm glad I had the bigger truck.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:

I think you will get pushed around every time a semi passes or there is a light cross wind. The new Ranger is a nice truck, but not designed to tow that much trailer. Even if you are within the payload (cargo) capacity, you will still have too much trailer. Because of the high front and high sides of a travel trailer (TT), you should not try to tow a TT that is more than 80% of the max tow rating of the tow vehicle (TV). Using your numbers, the TT will weigh 6,390 lbs (5890 + 500). 80% of the TV max tow is 6,000 lbs (7500 x .80).

You can tow that much, but it won't be fun and it may end up being very dangerous.

I have a 1/2 ton large SUV and would not be comfortable towing a TT over 6,000 lbs even though it has a max tow capacity of 8700 lbs. IMO, you should either get a bigger TV or a smaller TT.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #6

Thank you for your opinions. I appreciate them. You confirmed what I was thinking.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

I towed a 6,500lb trailer with a friends Ram 1500 10 miles to the local state park on back roads. I would do this again as top speed was 45 mph.

But I bought a F-250 to tow this trailer on the highway.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #8

The new Ranger seems like a great truck and probably a better fit for most people than a full size. I would tow a 12 foot cargo trailer with a 1/2 ton truck every 3 years when I was transferred and from my experience, the wind against the side of the trailer was the worst part. If you can find something that fits your needs with a low profile, I think it would be more comfortable.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #9

Lance makes a lot of trailers that would fit a Ford Ranger. Plus Lance is great quality but expensive.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you for your opinions. I appreciate them. You confirmed what I was thinking.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #11

You are kidding yourself with the weight of the TT. They are always heavier than advertised, sometimes as much as hundreds of lbs. Plus, you will always find MORE stuff to take camping with you. For these reasons you should base your decisions on gross TT weight.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #12

Scaled the TT down and found something that would work 3.5 feet shorter (26.5 ft), lower profile, and 1500 lbs lighter (4300 lbs dry, GVR 6000). I feel more comfortable with those numbers still a bit on the long side but with the lower profile, I think it will be a safer tow. Thanks again for confirming what I was feeling about the other TT and tow vehicle combination.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Scaled the TT down and found something that would work 3.5 feet shorter (26.5 ft), lower profile, and 1500 lbs lighter (4300 lbs dry, GVR 6000). I feel more comfortable with those numbers still a bit on the long side but with the lower profile, I think it will be a safer tow. Thanks again for confirming what I was feeling about the other TT and tow vehicle combination.
That should be more doable. What motor are they putting in the new Ranger?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
That should be more doable. What motor are they putting in the new Ranger?
It is a 4 cylinder 2.3 l EcoBoost, Hp is 270 and it generates 310 ft-lbs of torque, 10 speed tranny.

Tags
tow, towing