Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #15
I see no problem, but i'm no expert. We have a 2010 Dodge 4.7 with 3.55 gears, rated at 6,000 # tow weight. We just upgrade our old TT to a Grey Wolf 26RL, 5700 dry weight. Before any other comments ,i know we are at or above the limit for our truck ( hope to upgrade that also ) and i would like and believe in the 20% saftey factor go"s. But the deal was so good on the Grey Wolf we jumped, and decided go go the the TV we have for now.

We have towed her all around southern Ga and Northern Fl, and just got back from a trip to the hilly (not mountains ) northern Ga. and the truck has done fine , no problem with engine or trans. temp ,gas mileage 10 -11 mpg. We have a WDH & sway bar and a better brake controller. Granted it no rocket off the line, or up the hills, but does the job just fine, with very caustion driveing. We are going to upgrade the truck before retirement ( 6 mo. ) , your build looks what i would like, but having trouble finding a used 5.7 with 9.92 gears, most 3.21, some 3.55.

So no dought in my mind ,No Problem !!!

rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
QUOTE=twinboat;2493468]Just wondering.

With a weight distributing hitch, doesn't it distribute some of the tongue weight to the front axle.[/QUOTE]

Yes - and the trailer axles.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #17
The 1/2 ton trucks that have the proper gearing and suspension that allows for heavier cargo rating is a rare animal. You can order that version but it is hard to find on the lot.

Only a little more money to go to the 3/4 ton or 1 ton and the newer trucks do not ride rough like the older ones and fuel mileage is not much different either. In fact it may be better when towing. I would not hesitate to go with a bigger truck. Many benefits and little, if any, downsides.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #18
Go for it. You'll be on the upper range of capability, however your truck will do it. Sounds as if air bags would be in order, however.'
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #19
Everyone thanks for the advise. As expected this TH kinda landed in between a 1/2 & 3/4 ton class TV

rideandslide, I'd be interested in hearing more about your driving experiences and any issues/likes/dislikes with the Grey Wolf 26RL. It is very similar in size/height but a bit heavier than the 26RR.

Bamaman, I was going to order the truck with either 4-corner air suspension on the 1500 or rear-air if the 2500 is selected. In any case it would have to have the tow packages with mirrors & integrated brake controller plus LS differential w/best tow gearing.

Keymastr, I had a chance to test drive both the 3/4T (6.4/no rear air on it) and the 1/2T with the 4-corner air (an Ecodiesel) and boy I tell you what that all-air to me had a cushier/softer ride....it was smooooth. Your right though, when ordering there was not that much diff in price going up.

It's strange, we have a Brenderup horse trailer (European) at about 6000# GTWR and it is designed to have a 4% tongue weight. Apparently they don't have many HD Ford/Chev/Ram trucks over there just Mercedes, Volvos and the like for TVs... Anyway it uses an all-mechanical self-adjusting surge brake system that is darn near perfect. It tows like its glued to the bumper in all respects, sway, bounce & braking using no WD hitch. I believe the axles are both cambered and castered and aligned for incredible stability using low tongue weight. Makes me wonder why US designs always call for a hefty 10-15%+ TW?

"Get a truck??" Kinda what we're doing here

rollinghills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:32 AM   #20
Feel free to PM me. Had a couple warrentee issues, but so far loooove it !!! We really wanted the rear living, feels like home . Bought a 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi, 3.55 gears, quad cab,Ram Box and 8900# tow rating yesterday. No doughtin my mind i'm good to go to retirement !!!! :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0700.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	90511   Click image for larger version

Name:	1223141427a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	90512  

Old 04-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #21
Looks like a nice combo. I've driven ram trucks many years and always had good service from them. Enjoy and safe travels.

onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #22
My only thinking is what if you decide in 5 years you want a 5th wheel? That's what happened to me. We had a travel trailer and really liked it. Our truck an F250 diesel pulled it great. Then we saw some friends 5th wheel and all the comforts they had. So we found an awesome deal on one and now the truck wasn't rated to pull it. I'm self-employed so a bigger F350 is tax a deduction....a lighter 5th wheel wouldn't be. So I spent a year looking for the right truck for my price range. My advice....buy a bigger truck than you need today.Tomorrow you will.
Rolfsted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #23
If money wasn't a issue (retire in 5 months ) i'd have a nice new 2500 with the deisel, but it is !!! So we a quite happy with the 2013 with 39,000 at the price we got it at .I'm a Dodge man and know the trucks just gottin broken in !
It's just the wife and i, and we love the Grey Wolf RL, and don't see upgrading till one of us gets the other's death benefits !!!!! Ha Ha !!
Sorry don't want to steal any more of this threads time .