Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
Question Another "Will this truck pull this trailer" question - advice needed

Background: I've had a RAM pickup for 21 years and it's given me nothing but excellent service but the time has finally time to retire the ol' girl and move on.

By the numbers everything below seems ok but we all know this don't tell the whole story. Don't want frayed nerves after an afternoon tow... For me "the numbers" just don't relate well when it comes to things like handling odd winds/gusts and emergency situations. Have towed a fair bit through the years (probably sometimes over the ol' girls ratings ). Driven too-tall, sloppy-steering, white-knuckle-brown-pants motor homes, various other trucks & rigs, etc. so there is plenty of self-inflicted experience here to begin with.

Proposed replacement truck: 2015 RAM 1500 Laramie quad 5.7/3.92 in 4x4/6.4 box/air-suspension configuration w/Rambox & running boards. Tow rating 10100#. I'm guessing payload capacity is maybe around 1100# with the options? No door sticker to work with yet. The primary reason a 1500 over say a 2500 is preferred is the truck is used 90%+ to drive to town and I like the cushy ride and the mileage.

Proposed toy hauler: FR Grey Wolf 26RR; overall length 30.5', box is 26'. Weight is 5250# dry (w/battery, propane & tire). Trailer GVWR of 7715#. Tongue weight of about 715# empty which I believe is the max as the "toys" in the rear help offset tongue weight. Preferred WD hitch: Anderson w/friction type sway. Of note as toy haulers go this trailer is low in height; only 10'5" to top of AC - or about 9'4" to roof. Most haulers are very tall; 12' or much higher. The frontal area of this one looks rounded-over nicely. Does anyone think this low height will noticeably help with cross-winds?

When towing it's usually just myself and maybe 50# of items in the cab. Bed is empty. The trailer's "toys" are light things and total around 400# max with another 300# max of camping stuff/food/clothing and, of course, beer.

Any good advise or real-world experience with a similar-sized setup will be greatly appriciated.

rollinghills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
Commercial Member
What is the FT. LBS of torque on the 2015 1500 Ram?

06 HR Navigator 45'PBQ Detroit 60 / 2011 Ford Edge
USAF 72-82 A1E/A1H(SkyRaider) DW Retired Nurse
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Going from a 21 year old anything to a new Ram is going to impress you to no end.
I think the new 1500 will do just fine, but I'm not sure I would not opt for the same combo in the 2500.
By the way, did you read the earlier post on just about this same subject? Scroll down a little to find it.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
To much truck is like having to much fun, I'd opt for the 2500 ....
1995 Monaco Dynasty
32' B5.9 Banks, 6 speed Alison 3060
2008 HHR Panel toad
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
What is the FT. LBS of torque on the 2015 1500 Ram?
I believe the 5.7 hemi is 395 HP and 407 ft lbs torque.

onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
I think the Ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi would have about 400 plus ft. lbs. of torque. Maybe as much as 420.

The trailer you will be towing is between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. You can 'probably' tow with 1/2 ton. But I have to agree with 'having too much truck' is like 'having too much fun'.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
715lb tongue weight is for a bare bones trailer with no options (AC, TV, batteries, propane, etc...). And no water. Where are the tanks in relation to the axles? If you plan for 200-400lbs more tongue weight than advertised, you probably won't be wrong. Because the toys are much closer to the axles than the hitch (look how far back the axles are located) , their weight won't impact the tongue weight as much as you might think. Add food, clothes, stuff in the trailer and the weight of the weight distribution hitch and you will be over 1000lbs, and that's not even counting the weight of any passengers in the truck or any gear or fuel in the bed.

Save yourself an expensive lesson and go directly to a 3/4 or 1 ton and avoid shelling out money after just a few unpleasant tows.

With a 1/2 ton truck, you are almost guaranteed to exceed the gawr (gross axle weight rating) for the rear before reaching the payload capacity for the truck. For example, a 2012 f150 cc 4x4 XLT has a payload rating of 1600 lbs, but only 1000 lbs remaining axle capacity for the rear. You won't be able to find out the weight of each axle for your truck until you drive it off the lot. For most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, the rear axle can hold 100%of the rated payload for the truck. I won't get into ram vs Ford but compare the payload and gvwr stickers for 2 similarly equipped truck and you'll see the Fords are almost always built to carry more load.

I just dropped 10 big ones going from my 3 year old 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton because I was always overloaded by 300-600 lbs on the rear axle with my truck and trailer. The manufacturer of my trailer claims 500lb tongue weight. Add stuff, AC, TV, food, water, propane, batteries and it scaled in at 860lbs. (ps my f250 gas CC swb now has a payload of 2700 lbs).

Dry weight for a trailer is just that, DRY weight. No liquids, no gasses. Who told you it included propane and batteries? The dealer? What they probably meant was that they will include a battery and full propane tanks but trailers are not shipped that way from the factory and thus its not part of the dry weight. There should be a sticker inside the trailer showing the true dry weight with all options installed and the capacity of each water tank in lbs.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
It will tow fine (assuming wdh & sway control). My experience says you wont get very good mileage, you wont have have much range on a tank of fuel and I would not take it through the mountains often. If you can live with those limitations you will be good.
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Thanks everyone for the input so far. I'll try to answer some of the questions & concerns.

Niceguy9605: With variables like transmissions, gearing, etc I wouldn't even know how to relate torque ft-lbs to this situation.

Wingnut60: I went back and re-read the thread with no clear winner except the feeling that bigger+badder will always work,,,but is it really needed?

Marcham: From what I can tell the tanks are spread pretty tightly from a few feet in front of the 1st axle to a few feet past the rear axle. As indicated the max trailer load is 300# of camping stuff plus no more than 400# of toys. Normally don't tow with fluids other than propane & a good stock of beer however the water tank capacities are clear 50 gal, black 41 gal & grey 41 gal.

The dry weight of 5250# mentioned is actually 5103# (manf. sticker) and I added 150# allowance for one battery, 40# of propane and an aluminum rimmed spare. Is this about right?

Bjlakatos: I was going to use the Anderson WD hitch with its friction sway control. Is it good enough for this situation? I've read it doesn't live up to its 1400# claim but can do more or less 750#.

And does anyone have input/comments on the unusually low trailer height and handling predictions?

rollinghills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #10
The lower trailer height will help some. 30ft is probably the max you want to go with a short bed half ton truck. If the trailer you're looking at has the spread axle design then it will tow noticeably better in my opinion than one that doesn't. This is from my own experience going from a 33ft to a 37ft TT and the 37ft tows much better because of the spread axle design. Its even much taller than the shorter one and has a much rounder front cap which I believe helps as well. As far as towing with that truck. I say go for it. Get you a good hitch with integrated sway control like the equalizer or Reese dual cam. I towed that 33ft trailer with a 1500 suburban. Did OK but it was an 03 5.3 with 320ft/lbs of torque. The ram you're looking at will blow that out of the water. Gas mileage may still suck. Probably 10-12mpg but I don't know how well those 8spd transmissions due when towing. Also if you do get this truck, buy some E-rated tires and order it with the 2500 tow mirrors.
dcarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #11
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with the others, the 1500 will probably be ok, but the 2500 will be better. With the air ride, I don't believe that the difference in ride and handling empty will be all that different.
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
The 1500 will do fine. I would be concerned in the mountains & if conditions were exceptionally windy would compensate by running slower.
I pull a Jayco 32RLDS Elite with a Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crewmax, similar hitch setup & weights of 7400 camper, 300 loaded, 350 us & 100 in the bed totals 8300lbs on a 9000 max with no problems in Louisiana on Interstates in varying conditions.
The 80% of tow weight the old timers tell you to avoid has been ruled obsolete due to the new standards of tow ratings which is why mine is down rated 1100lbs from 10,100lbs. The new standards take into account extreme conditions, passenger weights & weight in the bed hence the 1,100 reduced tow rating.
I just add everything & use the reduction as a security limit.
You will notice a difference handling with the 1500 opposed to the 2500. Just be real careful after suddenly deciding to change toys to a 900lb motorcycle or 1100lb 4x4.

JSRFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #13
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Get a truck.
wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Just wondering.

With a weight distributing hitch, doesn't it distribute some of the tongue weight to the front axle.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote