Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
Any Mods needed for 2015 F450

Just ordered a new 2015 F450 King Ranch. I traded in a 2011 F250 SRW diesel. The mods on the 2011 included:

1) Air bags...Load Lifter 5000
2) Upgraded 5100 Series Bilstein shocks
3) Dual Steering Stabilizers
4) Husky 16K 5th wheel hitch

I ordered the factory prep 5th wheel setup... plus the 25k Reese hitch.
I have a 40' Alpine 5er with 5 slides weighing in around 14,000#

My question... What mods would the F450 need for towing the 5er, if any at all?
My only thoughts were adding an auxiliary in bed fuel tank... and maybe air bags.

Justjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
I sure wouldn't think so- that's a towing machine!

2011 Montana-3400RL
Towed by[B]'99 F-350 SD PSD DRW Lariat
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Justjim View Post
Just ordered a new 2015 F450 King Ranch. ...I have a 40' Alpine 5er with 5 slides weighing in around 14,000#

My question... What mods would the F450 need for towing the 5er, if any at all?
None at all.

Your GCWR is 40,400 pounds, and your max trailer weight is limited by your hitch to 26,000 pounds. If your trailer grosses only 14k when wet an loaded on the road, then you are a long way under the max pulling power of your stock truck. So no power-enhancing mods are desirable.

Your GVWR is 14,000 pounds, with max cargo weight rating of over 4,600 pounds. If your 5er has 22% pin weight and grosses 14,000 pounds, then your pin weight should be around 3,100 pounds. Even if your pin weight is the max of about 15% for 40' luxury RV trailers, that's only 3,500 pounds pin weight, or well below your limit. So no air bags or other load-hauling mods are necessary.

Your poor little F-250 was severely overloaded with that trailer. I'm glad to see you bought "enuff truck" this time.

If your Alpine is model 3650RL, then it has GVWR of 15,500. So I would use 15k as the estimated trailer weight. But even using 15k instead of 14k, you will still be well under the GCWR and GVWR of your F-450. Congrats on your new truck.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Thanks Gentlemen,

It might be overkill for now...but I will not have to worry about any future 5er upgrades, ie. Toy Hauler.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
How about a Turret and 50 caliber machine gun in the event you get off a freeway at the wrong exit?
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Muscle up...that hitch is heavy and will take two people to move. You will love towing with this dually. You will be very happy with the way it tows and you will pass all single axle Motorhomes, all SRW trucks. The only better RV going down the road are tag axle motorhomes.

You can take your truck to an after market outfitter like western star and have your truck cowboy'ed up.

Congrats...that will be one great truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
Just make sure you have a friend with a Dodge to help pull you out when you get stuck! Just kidding, that is a great truck and you are smart to move up to a rig with the strength to tow whatever you want in the future. Happy trails.....
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #8
Did you get confirmation of the order? Has it been accepted by Ford? Lots of talk over at thedieselstop.com about the '15 450s being built out already. Orders are open for a '16 (without pricing) already.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
If you have to make any modifications you are buying the wrong truck.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
I have the 05 450. No mods required. I added an aftermarket fuel tank. The optional 17 gal tank was more than I paid for the aftermarket 40 gallon.

I have considered adding an air rear suspension for a smoother ride but will not now.

If you are ordering it get all weather or lug tires. The stock ribbed tires that came with our truck are not very good for traction in mud or snow.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
If you have to make any modifications you are buying the wrong truck.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #12
Follow Up

Thanks everyone...

I agree the truck straight out of the box will more than meet my needs (except for the gunnery issue, lol). However, just like I found out with the 2011 F250 diesel... not all factory specs are what a towing machine might need (although I am pretty well sold that the F450 does).

1) The Rancho shocks that came on the F250 were better suited for a "cushy" ride than for towing... thats why i switched to the Bilsteins.

2) I already had a Roll and Lock installed before I purchased the 5er and hitch...mistake, had to settle for a hitch that would fit under the cover...even then it rubbed the cover frame making for unsightly wear stripes.

3) Found out Fords are prone to the dreaded "Death Wobble"... which I found out at freeway speeds will induce soiling of pants... thats why I added the dual steering stabilizers.

4) Fords are "known" for a drooping rear end when loaded near max. Thats why I got the air bags... plus to cushion the chucking/bucking that comes with a 5er.

5) The 2011 has a 26 gallon fuel tank... hate stopping so frequently, but you could not add an auxiliary... would put the unit way over in rear axle weight.

As stated, I did go with the Ford 5th wheel prep pkg and 25k Reese Elite (by the way, it comes in two pieces, so you can take off the head and then the legs. Besides I have a young Iowa farm girl to help me...lol

So I guess I was looking for comments:

1) on roll up type bed covers
2) any steering issues with the new F450's with the 19.5 wheels.
3) size, type and location of any auxiliary fuel tanks (another reason I went with the F450... the extra fuel should not put me overweight.)
4) any "drooping" issues under the 5er weight or ride quality
5) and finally, I would like to swap out my standard pin box, for one of those with some type of air/rubber suspension to further reduce the chucking/bucking ride quality

And finally thanks for the heads up on closing out the 2015 F450 orders. Talked to my salesman, he just had the factory rep in and this could be the case. They will "try" to get my order in, however, a 2016 model would be fine as well... just wonder how much more lead time the factory would need to change over the models... and what if any, new options might be available or change.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
If you want to know as much as poss about the Ford ordering system, go over to thedieselstop.com and look over the '11 and up ordering thread' Also, to know what is going on with Ford, check with Scott Pratt spratt@fowlervilleford.com he seems to know to the minute what the Ford system is doing.

As to:
1) I have the RetraxPro and using a fitted spacer along the rails--cover still fits and works fine, clears the Companion also.
2) The Dana front axles used on the '08-'10s and now on '15s does not have the wobble issues. 202k miles on mine, never a problem
3) I have used the RDS 60gal tank/tool box on my '07 dually and now the '09 450--has worked very well for both trucks, and fits under the cover using the spacers.
4) Originally, had some settling, added Timbrens, no sag, but very hard ride on bumps;
currently changing to Roadmaster to see how that add-on works
5) Can't help with a hitch, have only used the B&W Companion.

Problem with the 450s is the axle availability--they have orders for every axle available as I understand it.

You will love it whichever year you end up with.

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote