Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #1

I think the stocks shocks are in need of something stronger. With a loaded truck and the TT hooked up 90% of the time, does anyone have any recommendations for a set of heavy duty shocks made for towing that'll still gove a good ride?

We're also thinking of adding a set of Air Bags to level out the rear end, but I think the shocks are first.

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #2

I think the stocks shocks are in need of something stronger. With a loaded truck and the TT hooked up 90% of the time, does anyone have any recommendations for a set of heavy duty shocks made for towing that'll still gove a good ride?

We're also thinking of adding a set of Air Bags to level out the rear end, but I think the shocks are first.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:15 AM   #3

I replaced my stock shocks with Bilsteins, and overall, there was a night and day difference. I'm still debating on the air bags, but will probably eventually end up going with the Air Lift Super Duty.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #4

I would second the Bilsteins or Rancho 9000 adjustables then air bags if needed.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #5

Is there a certain type of Blisteins I should be looking for? I know I looked at the Rancho catalog and they offer about 20 different types.

I have the Ranchero now, just not the adjustable ones, so I thought I'd try something different

Old 02-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #6

I use Monroe Rancho 5000 shocks on all my trucks. They handle the loads and dampen body movement well. Both Bilstien and Monroe Rancho shocks carry a lifetime guarantee. A truck is going to ride like a truck. The only way around it is to switch to a total air-ride suspension.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
zip

I also use the Bilstein shocks on my truck. Their website allows you to enter your vehic. for the right shock part numbers- rear and front numbers will differ. I suggest John Kennedy in Wisconsin as a supplier. His website-
www.kennedydiesel.com

zip.94 Terry 5'er 30.5ft.
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #8

X2 on using John Kennedy and using Bilstein shocks. Great supplier, good prices, fantastic service. You can't go wrong with Kennedy Diesel.

And Bilsteins are just the best quality you can get. I run them on two other vehicles and am extremely satisfied with that brand.

Crew Cab, Banks Power
MADDOG` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:25 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The big benefit of the Rancho 9000s is their adjustability. They can be firmed up for towing and then softened down for a good ride when unhitched. They were one of the first, and best, modifications we made to our truck for 5th wheel towing.

Our old 5-position Rancho 9000s are set at 4 front/5 rear for towing and 3 front/2 rear for running empty.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #10

I have run both RS 9000 and Bilstiens for Kennedy. the RS 9000s I had 100000 mile on them , at that point they still worked great but the adjuster knob was frozen. the bilstiens work good maybe not as good loaded as a RS 9000s but they do drive really nice empty or loaded. RS 9000s are a tad harsh if set on the higher levels if your empty but loaded that are very good. I have just over 30K on the bilstiens now it would be hard not to choose them for my next truck due to 90% of my miles are empty. Every truck Ihave owned in the last10 years has had new shock put on it with in the first 1000 miles of new , GM factory shocks are a JOKE .... Big differance even if your truck is brand new!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:32 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have been running bilsteins for about the last 100,000 miles and they have made a huge improvement in the ride both loaded and unloaded. I purchased mine at Advance Auto Parts and had my local mechanic install them.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #12

I went with bilsteins and LOVE them. I went with bisteins over the Rancho 9000 because I didn't want to crawl under truck every time I towed to adjust shock setting, or spend the extra $$ to hook up shocks to in-cab controler that could possibly leak in the future.

I also have air bags on the truck and really like these as well for towing. I can adjust the pressure to the load beening carried (5th, boat, car hauler w/jeep, skid steer tractor, ect...

Goto to camping worlds web site and/or bilsteins site and check them out. You just want there STD shock for your truck.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I had Bilsteins on my last truck and found the ride too harsh loaded or not. I probaby need shocks for my new truck but not sure what to get. I probably going to look for something adjustable.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #14

I also tried Bilsteins and found them too harsh. Went to Monroes. How do ou tell if they are worn with the stiff springs on the new trucks?
What shocks would you use on a 33ft 5th ?