Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
Is anyone towing a 5th wheel with the Andersen Ultimate hitch that also uses a shock absorbing pin box like MORryde, TrailAir, 5th Airborne, etc?
I know someone using MorRyde. He likes it a lot. You will need a special adapter to use it with the RotoFlex.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #16

I have towed 3 different 5ers with 2 trucks using the Andersen. One with a Roto-Flex pin box and two with MorRyde. No special adaptors, no problem. The Andersen is an unconventional innovation and like any unknown, has generated skepticism. I do not recall reading any post on any forum - and I participate in several - where an actual user of the Andersen spoke ill of it. I'm happy I bought mine and I recommend the product without reservation.

Sent from my VS986 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 04-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #17

On the Grand Design Facebook page, there is an Andersen owner that posted pictures of his hitch where the ball had pushed up and almost through the top of the kingpin adaptor. Also spalding on the ball and in the inside of the adaptor where the ball turns. Others on other forums have reported deflections of the aluminum version, scuffed/bent truck beds from the Andersen frame(which is why Andersen recommends a rubber mat placed between the floor of the truck bed and the hitch base. So yes, there ARE complaints out there. I own one myself so I have no axe to grind in denigrating this hitch. But i do think the hitch is still a work in progress and the design and use is still evolving.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
On the Grand Design Facebook page, there is an Andersen owner that posted pictures of his hitch where the ball had pushed up and almost through the top of the kingpin adaptor. Also spalding on the ball and in the inside of the adaptor where the ball turns. Others on other forums have reported deflections of the aluminum version, scuffed/bent truck beds from the Andersen frame(which is why Andersen recommends a rubber mat placed between the floor of the truck bed and the hitch base. So yes, there ARE complaints out there. I own one myself so I have no axe to grind in denigrating this hitch. But i do think the hitch is still a work in progress and the design and use is still evolving.
Do you use a standard pin box or one of the shock absorbing types?
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #19

Standard.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #20

I'm using the Andersen with a MoRyde. No issues so far. In fact on the Andersen site they show installing the coupler on a MR pin box in a video. Good enough for me.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I'm using the Andersen with a MoRyde. No issues so far. In fact on the Andersen site they show installing the coupler on a MR pin box in a video. Good enough for me.
I just bought a new Jayco 5er and tow with a 2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax. Since the truck already had a B&W hitch set up for a gooseneck I bought the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I am experiencing a lot of "chucking" over bumps and dips and I want to try a shock absorbing pin box to correct it. Everyone that has a MORryde says it virtually eliminated the forward and back jerking. The folks at MORryde told me that they did not recommend using their pin box when using the AU Hitch. So did the people at Demco Glide Ride. They are calling it a gooseneck adapter which it isn't. It's simply a ball adapter that couples the pin. I can't understand why it wouldn't work as well as a regular 5th wheel.
Does your rig 'chuck' over bumps with this set up?
Old 04-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Does your rig 'chuck' over bumps with this set up?
I have a standard pin box and get minimum "back n forth" with my Andersen Ultimate. Have a cross country trip coming up and if that doesn't go well I'll look into getting a MORyde.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #23

To answer your question directly, for a short bed truck, the Anderson may not work if you need a slider. So, comparing it to other non-sliding hitches that put the pin directly above the truck axle or slightly ahead, I highly suspect contact will occur with some truck/FW combos. As an example, I could get to 90 degrees with the Wildcat and F350 with a non-slider, but need a slider with the Montana. So, the Anderson would not work for me.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #24

I suspect that those who have had trouble with bed scuffing may have installed their AU incorrectly. When attaching to a goose neck ball, as I do, the bolts on the Andersen must be re-torqued after the 5er has been set down on the ball. If you skip this step, you likely will get some bed scuffing.

The re-torquing is a one time thing - until you remove and reinstall the hitch.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #25

I just bought 2014 dodge 3500 and had Anderson installed with B&W turnover ball hitch. Went and picked up new to me 2009 Cardinal installed adapter to pin box, torqued to 40lbs hooked up and on my way. Towed great no issues towed 100 miles and placed in storage. Took 5th out for practice for driving test and on day of test noticed a clunking noise when start stop a couple times. When completed road test (passed) I returned to storage unhooked 5th and then checked Anderson hitch. All three bolts securing hitch,were finger tight! Checked truck box and 5th no damage. I torqued to 60 lbs top bolt and 40 for bottom two. It goes to show you that the Anderson is secure even with finger tight bolts!!

Went to installer and they were very apologetic to say the least.
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
I just bought 2014 dodge 3500 and had Anderson installed with B&W turnover ball hitch. Went and picked up new to me 2009 Cardinal installed adapter to pin box, torqued to 40lbs hooked up and on my way. Towed great no issues towed 100 miles and placed in storage. Took 5th out for practice for driving test and on day of test noticed a clunking noise when start stop a couple times. When completed road test (passed) I returned to storage unhooked 5th and then checked Anderson hitch. All three bolts securing hitch,were finger tight! Checked truck box and 5th no damage. I torqued to 60 lbs top bolt and 40 for bottom two. It goes to show you that the Anderson is secure even with finger tight bolts!!

Went to installer and they were very apologetic to say the least.
Hurk, see my post right above yours.

Happy trails,
Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Is anyone towing a 5th wheel with the Andersen Ultimate hitch that also uses a shock absorbing pin box like MORryde, TrailAir, 5th Airborne, etc?
Thanks to those that at least responded in some way to this question. It's surprising to me that there aren't more people out there that use the Andersen Ultimate hitch with some kind of shock absorbing pin box. Apparently not. I was hoping to get some input from people with experience with this set up, not just opinions. I'm trying to improve a chucking condition so 'll keep on asking this question until I hear from people that have already gone through this process of elimination.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #28

it must be the one

I use the 5th airborne and the Andersen bed rail mount hitch ( had the super glide slider before) I just know I`ll never go back to the other way after using this set up for a while. There is no noise of any kind while in use, it`s just to easy to hook up, the 5th Airborne takes all the bumps off the camper and more importantly it is wife approved even she says it is much better ride.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote