Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
Ram has been avoiding the use of DEF but now is going that route with the 2013 trucks due to problems with the engines.
Absolutely not so. The reason for the change is that they can pick up a bit of fuel economy (critical with the new EPA CAFE requirements) and BHP/torque by reducing the amount of EGR and going to DEF, which they've used on the cab and chassis 6.7L Cummins trucks from the git-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
With Ram it is a crap shoot for the 2008-2010 model years. The engine is fine but there are other components like the transmission, cooling system, electricals, etc. that are more of a problem.
Again, absolutely not so. Beginning with the introduction of the 6.7L Cummins diesel on January 1, 2007, Dodge used the 68RFE automatic transmission that has nothing in common with the prior 47RE and 48RE transmissions. The 68RFE has proven to be an excellent transmission in towing service.

Cooling system problems? Electrical system problems? That's news to me since my truck has never set a code or illuminated a CEL since I've owned it, nor has the cooling system ever given any concern whatsoever. In fact, it's never been back to the dealer for anything other than routine service. That's common experience with the late 3rd generation trucks as well as the 4th generation Rams. Right now, my purchase of an extended warranty is looking like a pretty bad investment as I may never need it based on my experience to date.

Are you getting this "information" from the Duramax forums?

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #16

You dont need a dually for the trailer you're buying. A 2500HD will handle that load just fine. And the Duramax/Allison is bullet proof. The Chevy has a much higher tow rating than the competition. Good luck with what ever you get.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Don't just look at the manufacturer's fictitious "maximum trailer tow rating" that's calculated from the weight of a base truck with only a 150 lb driver. Be sure you don't exceed the truck's GCWR, GVWR or rear axle GAWR. 2800 lbs is a healthy pin weight - be sure you have sufficient GVWR to handle it.

Rusty
Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #18

I don't know what problem is being referred to about the GM LML injecting raw fuel. It does have a 9th injector that injects fuel into the exhaust during the DPF regen cycle. It's designed to do that. It's not a great design I guess but it works fine.
The GM Duramax has essentially had no wide spread or ongoing problems since 2004.5. Some will tell you that the 2004.5 to 2005 LLY engines overheat but that is only a few apparently. It was not universal. My own LLY does not overheat even when towing heaving in the mountains with the AC on.
Dodge only had to add DEF because of increasingly strict emissions and fuel mileage standards. The Cummins engine has been solid all along.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #19

I have 60,000 miles of mostly heavy towing on my 08 chevy 3500 drw duramax and Allison. Not a single issue and pulls great. For the money, the 7.5-10 LMM/Allison combo have a great reputation for longevity and durability. Good luck on your search.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #20

6.0 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Your real world hitch weight will probably be closer to 2800#, so plan on a truck with enough GVWR to safely carry the pin weight. You need to consider a 1 ton SRW and and I'd prefer a DRW (dually).

Stay away from the Ford 6.0L diesel. The 6.4L was better, but a fuel hog. So far the Ford 6.7L diesel has been doing well. The 6.7L Ram Cummins has also done well. I am not up on the Duramax and the problem years.

Ken
I disagree about the Ford 6.0L as I just recently sold mine and went to a class A motorhome. However, after 145,000 miles I had no problems of any kind with my 2005 Ford F250 SRW, 4 door, King Ranch truck. The problems with the 6,0 were in 2004 and everything was fixed before the 2005's came out. Great truck and engine.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #21

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkaran View Post
I disagree about the Ford 6.0L as I just recently sold mine and went to a class A motorhome. However, after 145,000 miles I had no problems of any kind with my 2005 Ford F250 SRW, 4 door, King Ranch truck. The problems with the 6,0 were in 2004 and everything was fixed before the 2005's came out. Great truck and engine.
^x2. I too have not had any trouble out of our 6.0L, it has been a very dependable truck with more than enough power, decent fuel mileage although i didn't by it for fuel mileage. I owned a '05 Duramax/Allison 2500HD which also had nice power, IMHO I have always liked the Ford trucks. I have not owned a Dodge product so I can not give any advice there.
Test drive all three and see which one suits you best, that may be the best way to decide.
booger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkaran View Post

Agreed. However I believe late 2006 they got the updated STC bracket on the back of the high pressure pump. Some earlier ones would pop off and cause no high pressure oil to the injectors. I would not say it is problematic but I have seen them and international did come out with an updated bracket. Most issues with the 6.0L is not working them. Using a 6.0L for a grocery getter is torture on the emissions systems due to the lack of hard working heat. Letting them sit for a long time also causes rust issues in the turbo. The owners guide does state to run the engine and warm it up if it is being unused.

It is not uncommon to see 6.0L with 200K or more with no major repairs needed.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #23

A truck I just recently found to avoid is the 2012 Dodge Ram Mega Cab because all the weight numbers are terribly low. It looks lile a 3500 dually but the GVWR, GCWR, and Payload numbers are in the toilet.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #24

Hello I am GM man the GM has by far the best transmission as far as the LLY 2005 engine for overheating there was nothing wrong with the cooling system the problem lies with the turbo intake pipe being too small and preheating the air going into the turbo I redid mine after doing that it pulled like a raped ape and dropped the exhaust temp by 250 degrees. You can do nothing wrong with a Duramax and a Allision .
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
A truck I just recently found to avoid is the 2012 Dodge Ram Mega Cab because all the weight numbers are terribly low. It looks lile a 3500 dually but the GVWR, GCWR, and Payload numbers are in the toilet.
Why; I tow with a 2500HD, 2008 Ram Mega Cab 68RFE 6.7L Cummins and I have had no issues what so ever. I do drop to 5th gear on long 6 to 7% grades but this is to keep my EGT's under 1000F by raising the RPM's to 2000 instead of the 1600 that I am normally at.

Would I buy another Ram Mega Cab; yes but I do not need one now.

Jim W.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I think what he's referring to is primarily the lower GVWR and payload rating that (for whatever reason) Dodge put on the MegaCab models. That limits the pin weight that the MegaCab is rated to handle. From memory, I think the 3rd gen MegaCab dually only had a 10,500 lb GVWR.

I know that lots of people tow with the MegaCab (the drivetrain, after all, is unchanged), but the numbers are what the numbers are. The Dodge engineers would have to tell you why the lower ratings since the frame (wheelbase) is the same one used on the 3rd generation quad cab/long bed models. On the MegaCab models, they just used the short bed and put the extra length in the cab.

Rusty
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I suspect that you'll learn that a late-model used diesel dually will cost you almost as much as a brand new one.
I found this to be true as well. The few used duallies on the market were either barely used or totally worn. The slightly used one belonged to the "Used Car" sales guys, and they would not negotiate. I found a hard loaded 2011 F350 with 11K and they would not budge, and were within 5K of the price of a 2013 after incintives and better financing. Same thing on a 2012 3500HD Chevy with 35K.

I am primarily a Ford person. I have been driving Ford diesels since the '82 6.9L came out. However, my last truck was a 07 3500 HD Duramax. It had 185K when I traded it for my current 2013 F350. It was a great truck with no problems and I would have bought another Chevy if they had made some changes. The 2013's are almost identical to the 2007 that I traded. I hated the fact that they have no storage space in the cab the whole time I had the Chevy. It seems like they have not kept up with Ford in technology and creature comforts, but the D/A combo is hard to beat. So far, I don't like ther tranny in my F350 as well as I did the Allison, from a functional standpoint. Only time will tell if it is as bullet proof. I'm getting about the same fuel mileage with my 2013 F350 as I did with my 07 Chevy, both towing and empty.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #28

I have a 2006 Ram with the 5.9L Cummins and the 48re 4spd transmission. I love the truck. Sure I would love it more if it had a 6 spd auto but it pulls great. No emissions garbage to worry about. Great mileage and reliable. People do have issues with the trans but usually rebuild them and then never touch them again other than an oil change. Rebuild is between $1K and $5K depending on how ridiculous they build them. Cold starting is awesome in this truck. Dodge recommends never using straight #1 diesel. The cold starting has impressed me. Way better than my father's Ford. I have a bud that has an 08 with the 6.7 and 6spd and he liked mine so much he gave the 08 to his wife and went and found an 06. They tow together professionally.