Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
IMHO, I would really consider a SRW Ford 350 6.7 for your situation. Mine has a 11.5k GVWR and weighs 8500 with a full tank, hitch in, and loaded to camp. That leaves 3k for pin weight which is plenty for your trailer. DRW trucks are great but not a requirement until you get very large. Mine SRW tows our 14k toyhauler like it's not even back there. 5k miles in the first year and never felt I needed more in any situation.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #30

We have been pulling a 2008 Carriage Cameo which had dry weight of 12 k with a 2007 F-250 for the past 5 years. Our truck came with a camper package and there has never been any issues with towing performance.
Alto papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto papa View Post
We have been pulling a 2008 Carriage Cameo which had dry weight of 12 k with a 2007 F-250 for the past 5 years. Our truck came with a camper package and there has never been any issues with towing performance.
You have an issue but you don't recognize it. Have you had the wet and loaded rig on a CAT scale? I'll bet you're overloaded by several hundred pounds over the GVWR of your tow vehicle. With the PowerStroke or V10 engine, you can pull a mountain. But you don't have the payload capacity to haul the hitch weight of that mountain without exceeding the GVWR of your F-250.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #32

Hi

We bought a 2009 Silverado 3500 crew cab 8’ bed DRW Duramax GCW rating 23,500 lbs. We are just rolling up on 100,000 miles. 45,000 of that was cross-country weighing 23,200 lbs. We did the Rockies to the Smokes. After passing 35,000 we have averaged 12 MPG pulling that weight and 16 MPG unloaded. The only maintenance other than normal service that we have had was Batteries.

3665RE
Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE
Largest load ever hauled on a public highway was 300,000lbs 30ft wide 70ft long and 22ft high max speed 15mph.
That sounds like one of those huge road trains in the Australian outback, except those are much longer and travel a lot faster
Australian Road Trains - Kings Of The Outback Roads
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Absolutely not so. The reason for the change is that they can pick up a bit of fuel economy (critical with the new EPA CAFE requirements) and BHP/torque by reducing the amount of EGR and going to DEF, which they've used on the cab and chassis 6.7L Cummins trucks from the git-go.

Again, absolutely not so. Beginning with the introduction of the 6.7L Cummins diesel on January 1, 2007, Dodge used the 68RFE automatic transmission that has nothing in common with the prior 47RE and 48RE transmissions. The 68RFE has proven to be an excellent transmission in towing service.

Cooling system problems? Electrical system problems? That's news to me since my truck has never set a code or illuminated a CEL since I've owned it, nor has the cooling system ever given any concern whatsoever. In fact, it's never been back to the dealer for anything other than routine service. That's common experience with the late 3rd generation trucks as well as the 4th generation Rams. Right now, my purchase of an extended warranty is looking like a pretty bad investment as I may never need it based on my experience to date.

Are you getting this "information" from the Duramax forums?

Rusty

So you base all your information 100% on your own personal experience? If you had a problem with your truck would all Dodge trucks be a bad choice? You need a sample size of 50 at a bare minimum to draw any conclusions about anything in this world.

I only go by the industry reports of repairs which are based on surveys of owners and surveys of repair shops and information from the companies that provide extended warranties for trucks and these surveys include thousands of trucks for any given make and model year. The information is available - all you have to do is take the time to search for it and with thousands of dollars involved with a truck purchase I felt it was worth my time. Guess you are rich and not worried about the odds of needing expensive repairs.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
That sounds like one of those huge road trains in the Australian outback, except those are much longer and travel a lot faster
Australian Road Trains - Kings Of The Outback Roads
Hi

That was a 2-story apartment building. We moved it about 7 miles. Moved a second one that was a little smaller 100 miles but we put this on a barge so we only move about 3 miles on the road.

That was 50 years ago.

Road expansion got the first one about 20 years latter. The second one is still in use.

Those 2 were the largest houses we ever moved.

My family was in the house moving business.

I have also have driven 18-wheeler hauling liquid animal feed to the farmers for a few years.

Phil P
Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #36

Norm