RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Anyone familiar with this Weight Distro???

This is the Weight Distro I am getting with a TT I am buying in a few days it looks like there is a Hole for a Anti Sway attachment ? is this what its for? I have a standard WD system that has 2 balls one for the Trailer one for the friction Anti Sway, if that hole in this setup isnt for anti sway what is it for? I googled for it but came up empty the Photo of the Hitch on Pavement is the one being given to me I have the Question about the other 2 are of the system I own. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wegight distro.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	147793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161211_233131674.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	147794  

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	147795  

supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2016, 11:54 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
This is the Weight Distro I am getting with a TT I am buying in a few days it looks like there is a Hole for a Anti Sway attachment ? is this what its for? I have a standard WD system that has 2 balls one for the Trailer one for the friction Anti Sway, if that hole in this setup isnt for anti sway what is it for? I googled for it but came up empty the Photo of the Hitch on Pavement is the one being given to me I have the Question about the other 2 are of the system I own. Thanks
what system would be better towing a 31' Gulfstream TT its heavy about 7000lb I will be using a 2016 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton TV rental if thats a Anti Sway can I use my original AS on it? I dont know the weight specs on the WD being given to me I know my old one is 10000 lb Trailer with a 1500lb tongue weight

Old 12-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Yup..That empty hole on the right side is for mounting the friction sway control.
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks i will have to bring my anti sway parts with
Old 12-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The used stuff is a Reese/DrawTite trunnion hitch. With that hitch you can add the DualCam HP sway control system fairly economically. Great system, maybe a bit finicky as to adjustment, but when installed right and set up right, not many better. And, yes I use one!!!!

The bars should have labels on them stating what tongue weight they are.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Solar
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
what system would be better towing a 31' Gulfstream TT its heavy about 7000lb I will be using a 2016 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton TV rental ...
The WD hitch in the photos you posted is a cheap hitch with barely-adequate sway control. As Tuquala mentioned, you can use the WD hitch with the trunnion bars, and that will work fine for weight distribution. But the friction-based sway bars are inadequate for your 7k TT.

So I would not use the sway bars at all. Instead I would order the Reese dual-cam sway-control parts to add to your WD hitch. The base of the dual-cam setup attaches to the a-frame of the tongue. Move the chains from the current trunnion bars to the cams of the sway-control gizmo. The end of the trunnion bars then sit on top of the cams. Works good.
Reese Dual Cam High-Performance Sway Control Reese Weight Distribution RP26002

However, I cannot tell for sure whether the new Pro Series hitch has trunnion bars or round bars. If it has trunnion bars, then the above applies to the new hitch. If it has round bars, then I don't know if the dual-cam sway control can be added to that hitch.

If you insist on getting by cheap, then as a minimum for a 7k trailer you need two sway bars. The head of the new hitch in the photo shows one baby ball installed, and the hole for the second one, and you would need a second one for the sway bar on the other side of the tongue. If you already have one sway bar, then you can buy another, including the bracket and both of the two required baby balls for a few bucks.
Pro Series Friction Sway Control Kit - Economy
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The WD hitch in the photos you posted is a cheap hitch with barely-adequate sway control. As Tuquala mentioned, you can use the WD hitch with the trunnion bars, and that will work fine for weight distribution. But the friction-based sway bars are inadequate for your 7k TT.

So I would not use the sway bars at all. Instead I would order the Reese dual-cam sway-control parts to add to your WD hitch. The base of the dual-cam setup attaches to the a-frame of the tongue. Move the chains from the current trunnion bars to the cams of the sway-control gizmo. The end of the trunnion bars then sit on top of the cams. Works good.
Reese Dual Cam High-Performance Sway Control Reese Weight Distribution RP26002

However, I cannot tell for sure whether the new Pro Series hitch has trunnion bars or round bars. If it has trunnion bars, then the above applies to the new hitch. If it has round bars, then I don't know if the dual-cam sway control can be added to that hitch.

If you insist on getting by cheap, then as a minimum for a 7k trailer you need two sway bars. The head of the new hitch in the photo shows one baby ball installed, and the hole for the second one, and you would need a second one for the sway bar on the other side of the tongue. If you already have one sway bar, then you can buy another, including the bracket and both of the two required baby balls for a few bucks.
Pro Series Friction Sway Control Kit - Economy
I cant realy tell from this Photo if it has the Cam style Anti Sway mounted on the TT?
The seller insisted everything I needed was there I am getting it for a great price because it has some delam issues that I hope can be mended with a Epoxy injection kit I found, either way its still worth $2000.00 I see something on the Frame could just be for the Chains? I don't know what he towed it with but I am sure it was used a lot maybe not long distance, the only thing that worries me about bolting either a ball or the 2 cam pieces to the frame Is can it weaken the frame??? or worse if I mount the A/S Ball to the frame now then the 2 Cam parts late, I have never heard of a Failure by doing either but if both are installed (Holes Drilled) it will have 12 holes total drilled in the frame if I only use the Friction A/S to help get it home and if I decide to add a second Friction A/S before upgrading to the Cam A/S it will then have 18 holes in the frame, The ball mount I have has 6 bolts and the Cam system I saw on Etrailer has 3 each, I guess I'm being paranoid because 7000lbs is a lot of weight to get away from someone

Correction I see the Cam Arm Assembly only needs 2 holes drilled I found the Install instructions and it uses 2 bolts that require drilling (with Rivet Nuts) and a clamp bolt for the back but all the holes still make me wonder if this can weaken the integrity of the TT frame?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hitch Frame Crop.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	147868  
Old 12-31-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The seller insisted everything I needed was there...
Yeah, everything is there for hooking up the cheap hitch with one sway bar. Some folks think that's all you "need". But I know better, if you want a safe towing rig for going camping with your precious family. A cheap hitch with one sway bar is not good enough for my needs. As a minimum I want two sway bars, and that would be for use only until I can get a much-better sway-control system installed.

If you have ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, you'll pay a lot to be sure it never happens again. That's why I replaced my very good $1,000 (list price) Reese dual-cam Strait-Line hitch with a $2,500 ProPride. The Strait-Line is good for about 99% of all sway-causing conditions, but the ProPride increases that to around 99.99%.
https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...control-hitch/
Old 12-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm going to keeping it at 50 mph or lower on my trip from NJ To W South Carolina (the up state) there is only one spare tire (the tires are out of my budget after all I will have invested in the sale) so I'm taking the scenic route home I78, I81, to avoid DC I figured if I keep it under 50 I have a better chance I get home without a (major) issue and the sway if any will be more manageable, it will take me 2 days at least to get home the only rush is the rental tow vehicle I have it for 5 days total
Old 12-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm sure the DualCam isn't there!! The chains and u-bolts are directly attached to the bars in the pic. They are attached to the dualcam hangers as you can probably see from the install instructions. Drilling into the frame isn't a problem, but definitely use the rivnuts!! On a thinner frame (don't know if yours would qualify), the bolts tend to loosen and/or strip out over time. What weight bars, did you look? I wouldn't tow the "new" with less than 1200# bars.

As to the Hensley/ProPride, to each his own! I have no desire to spend that much on a heavy chunk for that .99%, if believable!!!! They don't have a perfect history!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Solar
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:00 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well I'm less than 24 hours away from leaving to get the TT any opinions on which system I should use for the tow home I don't have the $$$ to add anything else to either system right now my budget is maxed out for this transaction, I could move the one friction anti sway to the system I am getting if that one will provide better overall control? I used the pro series with a 92 jeep Cherokee towing a 21' Sunline TT from pa to sc it's been in storage since, the only thing I might have to do to use my system that has the AS ball is swap the tow ball because when I got it it had a larger ball my TT had a 2" hitch the Gulfstream might have the larger ball due to the weight, I can't tell from the photos I was sent
Old 01-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...I could move the one friction anti sway to the system I am getting if that one will provide better overall control?
Yes, do that and you'll have the minimum sway control system you need for around 90% of sway-causing conditions. The tongue bracket for the sway bar, the two baby balls, and the sway bar should all be easy to move to the new hitch head and trailer tongue.

Try to not tow on slick curvy roads, drive slow enough that you can dodge all chuk holes and junk on the road without emergency swerving or braking. Be certain the trailer brakes work as designed before you get on the road. Pump the trailer tires up to the max PSI on the tire sidewall, And good luck.

Tags
weight