Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #1

We want to pull our motorcycle behind out fifth wheel. But in Virginia triple towing is not allowed as I figure in some other states as well. We have considered attaching a carrier to the frame in the back due to this. But has anyone ever been stopped by police for pulling a small trailer behind a fifth wheel or TT?
Tammy

98 Dodge diesel,24 valve turbo w Banks Power
tammyinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #2

We want to pull our motorcycle behind out fifth wheel. But in Virginia triple towing is not allowed as I figure in some other states as well. We have considered attaching a carrier to the frame in the back due to this. But has anyone ever been stopped by police for pulling a small trailer behind a fifth wheel or TT?
Tammy

Old 07-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #3

It would not be triple towing, it would be double towing. Two trailers, a 5th wheel and a motorcycle trailer, and yes some states allow it and some don't. Those that do restrict doubles to designated routes.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #4

Do you mean that the states that restrict this towing ,only restrict it on certain roads? The main area we are interested in pulling thru Interstate 77 and 81 thru virginia to go to Pigeon Forge,TN.
Tammy

Old 07-25-2006, 12:08 PM   #5

I saw 3 setups like you describe on my way to pigeon forge through Tenn and Va.Dont know if it was legal,but I did see it.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #6

Here is a link for state towing laws.

http://www.recvehicle.com/laws.html

Dave
Old 07-26-2006, 07:40 AM   #7

thanks for the link, but evidently there have been some changes since that site was put up. i contacted WV state police and it IS legal here but up to 65 feet length not the 55 quoted on site, and S Carolina and N carolina state police said it was NOT allowed and that site said it was legal in SC. I just wonder if anyone actually has problems pulling thru these states on the interstate?
Tammy

Old 07-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #8

Coastal Campers
Check out the "single wheel trailers" these guys sell.. web site claimes it is not double towing..

http://campingtrek.com/about.html
Old 07-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #9

Here is another single wheel trailer that really looks good. Price is real good. There is a movie trailer there that shows how it handles.
Its non articulated. Best way to go.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/Swivelwheel.htm

Dave
Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #10

I've never done it, but I don't think I would hesitate if your state is legal for doubles (it is here).

I like those single wheel trailers, I would like something like that for my generator rack, but they are kind of spendy.

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #11

Some one above mentioned towing behind a fifth wheel was NOT triple towing. I have seen statements about this back and forth, but on the site Dave gave for the special trailer, it states this:
"Can I use the Swivel Wheel system with my Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer?
Yes! If the trailer has a Class-III or Class-IV receiver hitch installed. The Swivel Wheel system does not act as a separate trailer behind the trailer. When backing up, the system will follow and track with the travel trailer.

Note: Be aware that pulling the Swivelwheel System behind a Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer is considered a TRIPLE TOW. Currently, there are 22 states that do not allow triple towing. These states include all states from Florida to Maine along the east coast, Oregon, and Washington. California allows triple towing, but requires the driver to have a commercial license. California will stop in-state out of state rigs and inspect your drivers license. I have had a number of people tell me that they were stopped shortly after entering California."

Old 07-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tammy when I was driving a truck my license was for a cdl class a and combo. That is for the tractor and trailor only. I believe there was a second endorsment for doubles or triples.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tammyinwv:
thanks for the link, but evidently there have been some changes since that site was put up. i contacted WV state police and it IS legal here but up to 65 feet length not the 55 quoted on site, and S Carolina and N carolina state police said it was NOT allowed and that site said it was legal in SC. I just wonder if anyone actually has problems pulling thru these states on the interstate?
Tammy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may want to clarify your question when posing it to the authorities. Your topic heading stated travel trailer and motor cycle trailer which is not allowed in any state to my knowledge (two pull trailers in tandem). Your first post clarified and stated fifth wheel and pull trailer which is allowed in most states if certain criteria is met.

In Ca. (sorry not familiar with your state laws) you can only pull "doubles" (truck, fifth wheel, pull trailer) if you have a Class A (Commercial) license. Triple towing (truck, fifth wheel, trailer, trailer) is not allowed.

You must also comply with lighting requirements (brake / tail lights/ turn signals), length requirements (65'), and trailer brake requirements as applicable.

Most states comply with federal commercial laws to maintain the flow of federal highway money. However, some states will change or add laws (i.e. as they pertain to non-commercial vehicles like RVs).

Research driver's license requirements for your state and determine if a Class A or B license will allow you to pull doubles. Also, check with DMV to see if there is an RV license that will allow doubles.

If the Class A allows this in your state (it should) then research the requirements for pulling two trailers. (Example: Ca. will not allow two pull trailers to be towed in tandem).

There probably is an exemption that the law enforcement folks were either not aware of or didn't think you would want to go to that much trouble to obtain. That or they may have been a misperception to your question posed.

Just my $.02

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:02 AM   #14
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Tammy, this may be way off base or out of the question, but have you thought about a toy hauler? Cheri and I have a small one which we will be up grading. I am looking at the ones with the garage to make it easier. If you are towing a cycle and its in the camper it kind of close to the stove when cooking. Thats why we are looking for the garage. You loose the view unless you move into the garage when its empty like a porch, but I think it will work.