Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #1

I was hoping to purchase a 25 ft travel trailer which weighs 5,400 lbs to tow with my new 2008 Z71 4x4 5300v8 Tahoe. I'm becoming concerned that the Trailer may be too long for the Tahoe's 116 inch wheelbase, even though the weight is well within guidelines in my manual. Does anyone have any experience to share?
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #2

I was hoping to purchase a 25 ft travel trailer which weighs 5,400 lbs to tow with my new 2008 Z71 4x4 5300v8 Tahoe. I'm becoming concerned that the Trailer may be too long for the Tahoe's 116 inch wheelbase, even though the weight is well within guidelines in my manual. Does anyone have any experience to share?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
horseshowmom...
Welcome to iRV2! You have come to the right place to find answers to any RV related questions. It may take a little time to get the information...but it will come!

I am also going to put this as a shortcut to the "New Member Check-In" so others are able to also welcome you.

Again...welcome to iRV2 and good luck finding that trailer that is right for you!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2.com.

While there are lots of folks pulling rather larger travel trailers with Tahoes and other SUVs, it is not my vehicel of choice. They have a short wheelbase and a high center of gravity, both which do not help to increase stability.

You need to find out which gear ratio is in your vehicle and see exactly what your maximum tow rating is from Chevy. Next thing to do is get the truck weighed in full travel load.

For an estimate on the available towing capacity, use 80% of the maximum tow rating. The maximum tow rating is based on a stripped, base model, no options, no accessories, no cargo, no hitch and only a 154# driver on board. For every pound you add over the base weight, you reduce the towing capacity accordingly.

You will find on the drivers door post a sticker that list the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) which is the most the truck can weigh full loaded on the two axles. Next, the owners manula should list a GCWR (gross combined weight rating) which is the most your truck and trailer can weigh together.

GCWR - loaded truck = maximum loaded trailer weight

GVWR - loaded truck = Maximum loaded trailer hitch or tongue weight.

Things that will help the Tahoe are HD shocks, replace the P rated tires with LT series tires, add an auxillary transmission cooler and nothing less than a Reese Dual Cam HP hitch.

The 5.3L is is a bit on the small side in my opinion for towing much weight, so you will spend a lot of time in the lower gears with the engne screeming to make it to the tops of the hills.

You never hear of any complaining about having too much truck, but plenty fuss about not enoughh truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #5

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Horseshowmom, Welcome to iRv2.com. yes I seen plenty tahoes pulling TT . Make sure you get air bags for your rear axle on the tahoe and also a weight stabilizer for the hitch.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 AM   #6

Pulled an Arctic Fox 19B with wife's Tahoe for a couple of years until I convinced her that we really needed a bigger truck. As long as you can get past the engine screaming at 4000 RPM when climbing hills and 8 MPG on the flat lands it will probably be OK for your needs. 25 feet is pretty long for a short wheel base vehicle, but doable. You will probably find that the factory "P" metric tires are not sufficient for the job either. They have squishy side walls to give a smooth ride, but they are not the best option when towing up near the limits of the Tahoe.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the very helpful information. My husband and I are back to more seriously considering a 21- 22 ft. trailer as a result of all the comments about screaming engines. Because we have the Z71 off-road version of the Tahoe, we do have upgraded tires and suspension. Our manual says maximum trailer weight for our axle ratio is 7,200#. With cargo and other equipment, it appears we would be pushing the limit with the 25 ft. trailer, which makes us uncomfortable. We will be new to towing a TT, and have only towed smaller boats in the past. We expect that most of our camping will be over long weekends at horse shows, so a smaller trailer may be adequate for our family of four.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
horseshowmom...
Do you know what your gear ratio is? If you don't... you can email me privately with your VIN (email listed in personal profile) and I can look it up for you...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #9

Be careful of those so called "upgraded tires" In all likely hood they will still be "P" metrics or in laymens terms passenger car tires. As I recall from my Tahoe days the package you have was different roof rack, different skid plates, more aggressive tires, and badging. I do not remember any different rear end gear ratios, but I might be wrong on that one.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did not catch the Z71 in your original post. Something that has been a problem with pickups and the Z71 is the tall sidewalls on the tires. If you want to see what we are talking about is to go out tot he parked truck and push the rear bumper side ways and watch the tire flex and tail wagging. I have heard of several folks complaing about a side to side motion when towing. The solution was to get some stiffer LT series tires. It does not seem to be a problem on every Z71, but it can be if the trailer is not well balanced and exhibits a tendency to move around when towing. I do see a lot of Tahoes pulling up to about a 24' trailer...but they are ususally running slower and I pass them on the hills.

Most of the SUV's have evolved to great town cars; the ride is tuned for comfort in the city, not working.

You should be Ok if you get a trailer that will be under 5700# loaded which means a trailer closer to 4500# or less dry and expect to chang out your tires.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #11

Horseshowmom, we just bought an 08 Tahoe LTZ. It has the 5.3 with 3:73 gears and new for this year the tow package, in two wheel drive. We have a 232TS Komfort travel trailer which we will tow for the first time to the beach at the end of May. It has a rating of 7500lbs and should tow it well. I'm doing the break in period right now and hopefully have over the 500 miles needed before towing. We have an Equalizer hitch and our old Suburban did well. I'll report back in early June with the results.
Have you guys bought anything yet?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 AM   #12

Hello Horseshowmom,

Welcome to the forum. Great group of knowedgeable people here that are quick to help.

I use to tow a 28ft TT with a Tahoe, but it wasn't much fun. I was new to towing and fell for the old salemans trick. "Sure you can tow it" he said. He just failed to mention that I would be white knuckled the whole time. And 450Donn was correct, engine screamed on every hill and we would go from 65 to 45 in heartbeat. I lasted one summer and ditched the Tahoe for a Suburban 2500. The difference was night and day. More room, better response, and just as good, if not better, gas mileage. Great thing about it was that it didn't cost me that much more for the Suburban than it did for the Tahoe.

Well worth the piece of mind I have going down the road with the TT and the family. Now I arrive at the campground feeling good rather than feeling like I went ten rounds with Tyson.

Find a smaller TT and get a good towing system like the Reese Dual Cam, or upgrade the towing vehicle and still get a good towing system. You'll be much happier either way.

Good luck and happy camping!

2002 KZ Sportmans 2703P
Jeff from Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #13

Well we are back now and am pretty happy with the results. The stabilitrak system is awsome! I couldn't believe what a difference that system makes. The power is fine on flats but like someone mentioned earlier, it will scream pulling hills. Since we only pull hills once a year in the Eastern Sierras out of Bishop, ca. This Tahoe is a good compromise especially with the high fuel prices. Our 98 Suburban was always thirsty at 8 MPG regardless towing or not. Now we can get up to 20 MPG on the highway. For us it is a good compromise.