Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

Anyone tow with a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi?

We've been offered what looks like an amazing deal on a new Ram 1500. It's the dealer demo but has less than 1000 miles on it.

Our trailer is an Evergreen Element 26RBSS - we pick it up in a few weeks. I am not worried about towing capacity/weight - the numbers all seem well within parameters. I am wondering, however, about comfort, reliability, gas mileage.
Lilrhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

I towed a 27' toy hauler trailer with a Durango sporting the hemi. The trailer was near max capacity when loaded. With most of the torque and hp coming high in the rev range, it frequently stayed over 4,000 rpm when going up even a moderate incline. I would suggest something that builds power lower in the rpm range. Just my opinion.
Jmills1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Had one that at the time I towed a 21' fish/ski boat. It should not have been a problem but.... the tranny was uncooperative and could never find a gear it like would always tach out at high rpm or bog down, it was a constant battle. The brakes were undersized for the towing capacity and the boat pushed the truck down the hill, the only thing I could do was downshift and tach the motor out. The HEMI was wonderful, just wished they had put a better transmission and brakes in it. It was an '09 so I cant speak to the fact if they have changed anything. I wound up with a 3/4 ton gmc and never looked back. I own a 23 foot bunkhouse at 6900lbs loaded and know that my dodge would have been a nightmare with it.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #4

I tow my Prowler 26RSL with a 2014 Ram 1500 . With the Hemi and the 8 speed tranny it pulls fine.

Granted, the diesel would be better but since I only pull the trailer a couple times per year Im happy with my choice.

If you go with the Ram, change out the rear springs with the Tuftruck 1223 V springs (easy install in about 30 minutes). Fantastic upgrade not just for towing but they really tighten up the suspension for less body roll. With the variable rate on the springs you don't really notice the change when empty. These springs should have been installed by the factory.

Also, with that size of trailer immediately change the truck tires to an E rated tire. The crappy P rated tires that they come with should never go on a truck.
stea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #5

I have a 2012 1500 5.7. Tow a 20ft enclosed
Trailer about 1000 miles trailer wt loaded about 7500 lbs. I have no problems going 70mph over the smokies . Avg. 13 mpg
Wouldn't ovn any other brand truck.
kleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I tow an Onyx 25RB with a 2012 Ram with a 5.7 Hemi and a six speed auto. I manage to get about 10 to 10.5 MPG with the trailer and can pull 19 without. Usually get around 16.5 combined in town and highway without. Ride? I've ridden in limos that have much worse suspensions. The quality of the build is second to none in the industry. Love it. Much more comfortable than my wifes' Subaru or the Durango I had previously.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:58 AM   #7

The Ram will pull your Element easily. As far as comfort the Ram will be very comfortable and easy to drive 700 miles/day if taking a long trip. Actually the Chevy, Ram, and Ford are all very nice and have good seats and are quiet.
You will like that truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:16 AM   #8

Is it a crew cab? If so look at the payload rating for that truck (there's a sticker) and the rear axle weight capacity before signing... You could be overweight the first time towing the empty trailer. A 3/4 ton would serve you better in the long run.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #9

Crew cab with Hemi, auto trans and 3.21 gears 1450 payload 8,050 tow capacity

Same truck with 3.92 gears is 10,200 lbs
stea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The gross weight for that trailer is just shy of 9000 pounds and a tongue weight of nearly 1200 plus 100 for the hitch. Then add passengers and any cargo in the bed and you will be very close to the limit on some and way over on others depending on configuration.

It is usually only hundreds more for a 2500 so think about going that way. Be sure to check the loading sticker on the drivers door sill to figure out how much cargo capacity it has. That is where you will fall short.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #11

1450lbs payload doesn't get you much when it comes to towing travel trailers, when you figure passengers and gear in the bed.

When towing a heavy trailer with a 1/2 ton, you will exceed the rear axle weight limit before exceeding the total payload limit.

From the trailer's spec sheet, add another 300-400 lbs on the tongue for propane, batteries and gear in the trailer. Do any 1/2 ton trucks come with a class V receiver ?

If you want comfort and low stress towing, get a 3/4 or 1 ton. For reliability, avoid any modern diesel... The engines are solely designed based on emission requirements. So unless you drive 40000miles a year, your pocket book won't see an advantage with a diesel.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I am not worried about towing capacity/weight
How have you determined this? And what towing capacity/weight are you using for this statement? It's very common for those who have not pulled a travel trailer before (especially with a 1/2 ton) realize what all effects the payload capacity. Towing capacity ratings are a mfg'ers sales gimmick and have no real place in determining how big of a travel trailer you can pull. I hope you have taken the payload capacity into consideration and realize that every pound you put in or on that truck will have to be subtracted from that figure. And, to make matters worse, most dry weight figures for the trailer are typically no where close to what the trailer will weigh once loaded and ready for travel. Typically, a TT's tongue weight will be somewhere close to 12% of the "actual" weight of the trailer.

With only 1450 lbs of payload capacity, I'm sure you will max it out very quickly.

Payload deficient for sure, and with the 3.21 gears, going up hills will make you wish you had thought this out better. The Hemi is a hell of an engine, but the gears and overloading the rear axle will be a problem.

However, if indeed you have figured this all out prior to choosing that trailer....good for you. Many don't.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #13

We are good with the figures because we consulted with Andy Thompson at CanAm, who will be doing our set up (reinforced WD hitch, sway control bars, etc.). He's recognized as an expert in this field and we trust his judgment.
Lilrhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #14

I have a 2012 RAM and I tow an Outback 277rb. When we dry camp at a NASCAR race I'm just about maxed out on weight. The engine and transmission easily pull it on level roads and I let the rpm tell me how fast to go up hills. However, I try to keep my max speed at 65 or below.

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow