Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anyone towing a Hyundai Elantra

We are looking to tow our 2009 Hyundai Elantra, 5 speed manual tranny. The owners manual is very vague so went to a Hyundai dealer and asked someone in service but I could tell she wasn't sure so she went to someone else and said that Hyundai did not make a car that could be towed 4 down because there would have to be something to move the fluid around. Still wasn't really satisfied so called Hyundai CS and he would not give me an infinitive answer because he said they could not comment to a yes or no answer.

Went to Remco and according to their website, it should be towable as is. I know that Blue ox makes a base plate for our car.

This is why I am asking if anyone is using this car for a toad.

Thanks
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
According to the FMCA towing guide for 2009 it is towable 4 down with no speed limit or mileage limitations.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
According to the FMCA towing guide for 2009 it is towable 4 down with no speed limit or mileage limitations.
THANKS so much for my question!

Hyundai would not give me a straight answer other than we would not recommend it. Everyone is concerned about liability these days.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

I have been reading lots of threads on ' can I flat tow this vehicle' and based on what I've read, no way would I tow a car currently under manufacturer warranty unless I got the ok in writing.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wrote to Hyundai USA and this is the reply I received in writing. Hope this helps others that are or going to use a Hyundai as a toad.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate that you took the time to contact us regarding if you can flat tow your 2009 Elantra behind a recreational vehicle (RV).

We understand that you may have become aware of a concern that appears common or a running campaign from a third party source; such as internet findings, independent repair facility, friends, etc. Please understand that Hyundai is unable to validate the credibility of third party sources and is only able to accept diagnosis from certified Hyundai technicians. Additionally, some mechanical concerns can be caused by many factors unrelated to "common concerns" or running campaigns and we apologize for this inconvenience.

We have provided the following information that should answer your inquiry:

Two Wheel Drive Hyundai vehicles equipped with a Manual Transmission can be towed with all four wheels on the ground, such as may be done behind a recreational vehicle.

Two Wheel Drive Hyundai with Manual Transmission

The following precautions must be followed before attempting to tow a two wheel drive Hyundai vehicle equipped with a manual transmission:

1.Transmission oil is at the recommended level
2.Transmission is in a correct working order
3.Parking brake is released
4.Gearshift is in NEUTRAL
5.Steering wheel is unlocked with the ignition switch in the ?ACC? position. (*NOTE* For vehicles equipped with push button start: without depressing the brake pedal, push the start button once to set the ignition to the ?ACC position)
6.Drive wheel tires are the same size (front tires on front wheel drive, rear tires on rear wheel drive)
7.Drive wheel tire pressures are equal and inflated to the recommended pressures (front tires on front wheel drive, rear tires on rear wheel drive)
8.Vehicle is towed from the front with all four wheels on the ground

Please Note:

1.When the ignition is in the ?ACC? position, make sure all the accessories are off to prevent battery drain
2.When towing has been completed, be sure to turn the ignition OFF and set the parking brake
3.Do not leave the ignition ON with the vehicle unattended.

We hope that this information is what you were looking for. We do recommend that you contact your preferred Hyundai dealer to get any further information that you may need in regards to flat towing your Elantra behind an RV.

If you have any further comments, you may respond to this email, or if you prefer, you can reach us by calling our toll-free customer service number, (800) 633-5151, so we may properly gather the details of your case. Our hours of operation are 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time Monday through Friday and 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time Saturday and Sunday.

We value your feedback and we have documented your inquiry as case number 7686558, which may be referenced if we can provide further assistance. Any Case Manager will be happy to assist you.

Tags
tow, towing