Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #29
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Glez View Post
I have try to figure out several trucks from a F150, Tundra, Dodge 1500 and Expedition using this formula Travel Trailer Weight Calculator and NONE is capable to tow my TT!! Oviously I am doing something wrong,,, but what??? at moments I feel like seling my TT! I wanna cry!

May be if I try this will work... If my TT weighs 4160 dry w plus another 840 lb for water, food etc (we are just two people.) total of 5000 lb.
What truck or SUV should I get?
As others have said "dry weight is a useless number except for a salesman. Our TT (yes it is bigger than yours) had a dry weight of 6300 lbs and a GVWR of 10400. Scale weight when traveling was about 9K. Maybe this will help you understand how useless dry weight is. The TT we had brfore the one we have now had a GVWR of 5600 and we towed it with a 3/4TPU. I wouldn't want anything less.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #30

Quote:
I have try to figure out several trucks from a F150, Tundra, Dodge 1500 and Expedition using this formula Travel Trailer Weight Calculator and NONE is capable to tow my TT!! Oviously I am doing something wrong,,, but what??? at moments I feel like seling my TT! I wanna cry!

May be if I try this will work... If my TT weighs 4160 dry w plus another 840 lb for water, food etc (we are just two people.) total of 5000 lb.
What truck or SUV should I get?
Manny, I just ran the calculator you linked using the specs of my Expedition (2003 5.4 Eddie Bauer RWD) and your trailer. Using 5000lb actual trailer weight (not dry weight or max weight) and 600lb tongue weight (12% of actual).
It shows a max trailer weight of 6,667lb (well below the 8900 stated by Ford) and with a 15% safety margin, 5,667lb.
This would indicate the Expedition (or similar) is the MINIMUM you should be looking at.
Don't despair, there are plenty of vehicles out there. Just NOT the Explorer or similar class.
We have been considering trading our Expedition for something smaller and more economical but still able to pull a boat (3,500lb max). The difference in fuel economy may be $1,000 per year (based on 12,000 miles). It really doesn't make sense as the Expy is paid for so we're sticking with it and will eat the economy hit.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #31

finally

Well, guess what?
Finally I got a PU. it is a Dodge 1500 loaded with everything except navigation nor leather seats Hemi 5.7 whoite that perfectly matched my TT. Well an image worts more that 1000 words :-)

what do you think?

Manny Glez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #32

Cool!!! Nice ride.

Enjoy both vehicles.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #33

Thank you thank you everyone, I feel good with this truck and I am getting ready for my first trip with my TT,wait, oops I have to replace the side mirrors, any recommendations?

Thanks again for all of ur help and advice.
Manny Glez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Thank you thank you everyone, I feel good with this truck and I am getting ready for my first trip with my TT,wait, oops I have to replace the side mirrors, any recommendations?

Glad you went with truck, great ride! Enjoy.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #35

Quote:

If you want something cheap, i would first check junkyards for 2500/3500 tow mirrors, i think they bolt right up. But im not totally sure on that, you should ask a dodge ram forum.

If you want them quick, ebay has sets for $200. They are chinese knockoffs, but a buddy of mine has a set on his nissan titan, they work just the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05-...3e0f44&vxp=mtr
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing