Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club

Not all diesels follow your hard fast rules indicated for redlines. I have experience with a 2008 PowerStroke - Boost to 37 psi, EGT at 1280F (manifold), and Tranny temp at 235F while still running stock parameters. This is off a digital OBDII gauge, Edge Digital Insight.

I believe there are differences between manufacturers, and between different generations of same manufacturer. I cannot comment on OPs engine specifically.

Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL
Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Wes Hawkins View Post
Wondering if anyone who has an older Dodge CTD, mine is a 2000, is running a chip or performance enhancing box. If so which one and how do you like it?
My current '03 Dodge/Cummins NV5600 has had a Edge programmer for towing duties on it since it was new. With 255k miles there has been no problems.
This Edge box of that era was a simply 40-50 hp and 80-100 ft lbs torque. It has no switches or program buttons.

It really woke the Cummins up in the 1600-2000 rpm range when towing. As mentioned a lot of different boxes out here putting out different amount of power.

'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #17
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
What is your expectations for a chip/tuner? Are you trying to increase HP and torque or are you trying to improve mileage? Two different answers.

Older model diesels, such as yours, can increase HP and torque but quickly run into other limiting components, such as tranny and drive train. Mileage can also be improved, but it is done at increased temperatures, not usually recommended for towing situation as you can quickly overheat, hit limiting high temps for components (turbo, valving, pistons, etc) - as mentioned above by jesilvas. Increased HP usually is done by leaning out diesel mixtures, increasing combustion/EGT temps.
The tuners in lots of cases INCREASE the fuel mixture. You can lean a diesel out till it quits running without hurting them. Overfueling leads to increased temps and black smoke unless you also change the injection timing and boost. That's how Banks does theirs.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #18
Go back and read SmokeyWren's comments on tuners. He's well known on TheDieselStop.com, and he's given you the truth.

I'm running a D-P Tuner 80 hp econo and 60 hp tow modes on my 2003 F250 7.3 diesel. It's as far as I'm willing to go without modifications to my intake and exhaust.

When my truck was new, it'd just chirp a tire from a start. Now, I can go up to 20 mph, hit the throttle and look at two black streaks in my rear view mirror. From 60 to 80 mph takes 4 seconds--a strong, strong mid range. And my fuel mileage went from 18 mpg to 20 mpg at 70 mph.

But don't think you're going to pull 15K lbs, through the Rocky Mountains without the Pyrometer and the Tranny gauge. Diesel horsepower produces heat, and it's heat that destroys engines and transmissions.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #19
I had pyrometer for 4 years and never once saw any alarming temperature with my Max Energy. The testing has all been done way before I installed it on my truck. It's not like all the others the Hypertech is programed for efficiency and power with standard exhaust and injectors. Any modification just don't improve any.
Like I said earlier my intention is to drag up the hill for up to 1 1/2 hours and not just 1/4 Miles without hurting my truck. Never saw any sout on my trailer with all 3 level of programing. I am able to feel the light 15000 lbs trailer in tow on the road.
Without the trailer I get better mileage then most SUVs on the road with a 7800 lbs 4 x 4.
Not all programer are tested equal, and for the same application. No one will tell me that they can give me a program for my truck without proof of testing. Hypertech did and I am pleased.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #20
Great info smokeywren... you must have an older diesel... maybe a 7.3L? As Brian Glen mentioned, newer engines are pushing the envelope some on those temps. My 05 cummins will hit 1400-1500 degrees on EGT stock from the factory for short periods! I agree thought, for the OP'S truck your rules will certainly be close and safe.
2014 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 Dually 68RFE, 370/800 Cummins 3.42 highway gear - Deep Cherry Red
2016 Coachmen Chapparal 360IBL
Sold - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB 4x4 - Cummins Power
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #21
Have a 09 dodge 3500 doully on the farm with the 6.7 that got deleted. Check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer they said the egr was plugged and o2 sensors was bad. Couple other things. Was gonna cost 1800 to fix. Took it to a local diesel shop got it all deleted with straight pipe and light tow tune down loaded for 2300. I tell you what getting rid of all the garbage woke this mother up! Whole new truck. Worth every penny. We don't race it don't pull it. We work with it. Problem is the factory clutch wont hold under a big load. It has 100k miles on it so probably due anyway. After the clutch is done it will be a real work horse.

Now my 07 Duramax is factory. It will remain factory until (like the dodge) something happens that needs repaired. Someday, I hope not soon, It will need injectors or egr. will plug Maybe something else will go bad and I will have to take it in. At that point all the garbage will be removed from that also.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #22

I have an 01 Dually Dodge HO with 6sp manual trans. I installed the FASS lift pump and the Edge EZ. Highly recommend it and defiantly a noticeable differance. My truck loaded with a 9.5' slide in camper pulling a 28' enclosed car trailer all totaling 23,500 lbs pulled mountain passes only having to downshift into 5th gear. I felt this was a tuner that provided a safe level of performance without causing damage. I've been running this for over 12 years. Easy to install and remove. I'm sure you will be very happy with the results.
Ron & Lara
03 H/R Endeavor 34PBD -330 ISC
Gearhead383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:22 PM   #23
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Gearhead383 View Post
I have an 01 Dually Dodge HO with 6sp manual trans. I installed the FASS lift pump and the Edge EZ. Highly recommend it and defiantly a noticeable differance. My truck loaded with a 9.5' slide in camper pulling a 28' enclosed car trailer all totaling 23,500 lbs pulled mountain passes only having to downshift into 5th gear. I felt this was a tuner that provided a safe level of performance without causing damage. I've been running this for over 12 years. Easy to install and remove. I'm sure you will be very happy with the results.
I installed the Fass lift pump several years ago and I installed the Fleeze cooling system bypass to help keep the engine running cooler. I found out yesterday that my wonderful wife had ordered the Edge EZ for me for my birthday. I have already got the gauges and its a 5 speed. I'm going to be putting a new clutch in it also this month and am going with a higher HP and Torque than what the factory puts in them.

I want to thank everyone for their ideas and opinions, that what makes these forum so valuable.

2000 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4 SB. Ordered our new Creek Side 23RKS on 12/20/14.
Wes Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote