Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #1

Anyone with 18 Ram 2500 gasser?

Got a fantastic price on a 18 Ram 2500 Laramie gas I almost can't pass up. Will be great for now but I saw some reviews that this drivetrain struggles upper limits, weight and mountains. Any info appreciated. Thanks.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Got a fantastic price on a 18 Ram 2500 Laramie gas I almost can't pass up. Will be great for now but I saw some reviews that this drivetrain struggles upper limits, weight and mountains. Any info appreciated. Thanks.
With the HP and torque numbers I see, I can't imagine it would have a hard time pulling. Numbers are much higher than my 2011 dually and I'm pulling 13k plus my truck weighs 7600lbs or so.

FCA Hemis tend to scream and not have as flat a torque and HP curve as GM's Vortec but with those specs should be fine. If yoU're worried about hauling the 20' trailer you have listed stop worrying.

I'm generally more worried about chassis capability such as brakes, suspension, payload and axle capacities.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
With the HP and torque numbers I see, I can't imagine it would have a hard time pulling. Numbers are much higher than my 2011 dually and I'm pulling 13k plus my truck weighs 7600lbs or so.

FCA Hemis tend to scream and not have as flat a torque and HP curve as GM's Vortec but with those specs should be fine. If yoU're worried about hauling the 20' trailer you have listed stop worrying.

I'm generally more worried about chassis capability such as brakes, suspension, payload and axle capacities.
Oh no, not worried about our Winnebago. Should make for a sweet rig to hit the road with, I think. Worried about the next one I may move to.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #4

I have an 18 Ram 2500 6.4. 4.10 CC LB 4x4. I tow a 9300 lbs 5th wheel. I live in Oregon so I tow in all conditions. It does wind up in the steepest sections. It will cruise all day in 5th at 60 mph at 2100 rpms. Or 65 mph in 6th or whatever your wallet can handle. At those rpms it's quiet enough to not really notice. I have a Tradesman so I'm guessing the Laramie would be even more quiet.
In hilly terrain I run in 5th or 4th. Still not wound out.
Recently went out for the years 1st trip. On the way home there's a several mile (5-7) long uphill stretch at about 5%. I ran at 3400 rpms at 60 mph with the cruise on. Could've easily gone faster but why?
As far as the tranny goes, yes it can be quirky. Around town it's great. On slower steeper climbs it will drop from 3rd to 2nd and the revs climb to 4000+. Hey it's a gasser. I don't expect anything less.
MPG are 9 towing and 10-11 in town. Hwy cruising at 70 mpg is between 15-17 mpg.
I came from a 12 2500 CTD. I have no regrets. The gasser is much easier as a DD for me. If I worked somewhere where I put 12-15,000 miles a year on then I'd stay diesel.
I'm retired and short hop every day. Not a good scenario for a diesel.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the truck. The new Ram Hd's will have an 8 sp. That should make it much smother when towing.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas