Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #141

Well the DPF is a filter ahead of the muffeler . The filter will still fill up unless you are going to take it off.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I realize that any newer vehicle can go into limp mode but that is not what I am talking about here.
I am specifically concerned about a DEF system equipped truck shutting down due to the EPA mandated computer program. If I buy one of these trucks then I want to be able to use my own scan tool to unlock and reset the computer. I have looked around on the internet and have not been able to find such a tool at any price.
To be honest... If I eventually buy a DEF equipped truck. I am just going to delete the DEF/EGR/DPF and CAT systems before any issues arise and trick the computer with a tuner. I could care less about more horsepower, I just want it to be reliable.
When I am in Mexico or Central/South America, "towing it in" will not be an option.
In South America I do not believe they use the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel that we were required to start using here in ~2006, they're still using 500 which would wreak havoc on the new trucks.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #143

Gulf Streamers Club
The diesel particulate filter (DPF) will function for a long time if the proper oil is used that won't leave deposits of sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulphur (SAPS) that are often used as anti-wear additives in motor oil. In addition, lots of short trips that don't allow the exhaust temperature to get to +600 for an extended period can prevent a proper regeneration cycle. So... pay attention to the oil used and don't use a diesel with a DPF as a grocery getter.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #144

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
I realize that any newer vehicle can go into limp mode but that is not what I am talking about here.
I am specifically concerned about a DEF system equipped truck shutting down due to the EPA mandated computer program. If I buy one of these trucks then I want to be able to use my own scan tool to unlock and reset the computer. I have looked around on the internet and have not been able to find such a tool at any price.
To be honest... If I eventually buy a DEF equipped truck. I am just going to delete the DEF/EGR/DPF and CAT systems before any issues arise and trick the computer with a tuner. I could care less about more horsepower, I just want it to be reliable.
When I am in Mexico or Central/South America, "towing it in" will not be an option.
I seriously doubt you are going to legally find a tuner to do this since the feds cracked down on the tuner companies. Hefty fines and now tuners are only available on the black market. The feds are getting serious about the deletes.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Buy an older 2012 Ram CTD. No DEF. Keep it stock and just drive it. That's what I do.
Yeah, do this...

...and accept the poor fuel economy and hope the previous owner didnt idle it much or be prepared to have your DPF cleaned sooner than later. $$$$
Old 11-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #146

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
How did you develop the idea that a vehicle is made less reliable due to a DEF system?
Old 11-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
How did you develop the idea that a vehicle is made less reliable due to a DEF system?
A DEF equipped vehicle can start the "xxx miles to shutdown" and "5 starts left until shutdown" anytime the computer sees an issue with the emission system. Older diesels without the DEF system don't have this issue. I don't like the idea of a vehicle holding me hostage like that.
I work on my own vehicles and I am trying to learn as much as possible before I take the plunge with one of these vehicles. If I could buy my own software tool to unlock and reset the computer I would be much more at ease about this. (I do this for all my vehicles) I may just have to give the aftermarket some more time to catch up.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #148

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The issue you speak of is more likely am issue with the electrical or mechanical components of the DEF system, not the software. If there is an issue with the DEF system that is not software, reseting the software won't get rid of the issue with the component.

And don't forget that tampering with emissions systems is illegal, and that includes software.

Like on board TPMS. If a tire is low, reseting/restarting the TPMS software will not fix the low tire pressure.

How many occurrences do you know of where someone's vehicle heels them hostage over a fault or failure of a DEF component? I researched heavily the vehicles I was considering before buying my truck, and I have zero concerns about being "held hostage". I'm probably more likely to win the lottery.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
The issue you speak of is more likely am issue with the electrical or mechanical components of the DEF system, not the software. If there is an issue with the DEF system that is not software, reseting the software won't get rid of the issue with the component.

And don't forget that tampering with emissions systems is illegal, and that includes software.

Like on board TPMS. If a tire is low, reseting/restarting the TPMS software will not fix the low tire pressure.

How many occurrences do you know of where someone's vehicle heels them hostage over a fault or failure of a DEF component? I researched heavily the vehicles I was considering before buying my truck, and I have zero concerns about being "held hostage". I'm probably more likely to win the lottery.
The pre-DEF, DPF equipped cummins and powerstrokes have left many stranded on the side of the road with plugged filters. Some even went so far as to remove them and power wash them to get back on the road.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #150

Gulf Streamers Club
1bigmess, I think you have to take into account this argument for deleting and reprogramming a contemporary diesel is being made by 77Travco, which, if true to his handle is dealing with a 1977 Dodge V8. Unless upgraded, he's used to points and vacuum/mechanical timing. Perhaps a modern computer controlled engine is scary for him!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
1bigmess, I think you have to take into account this argument for deleting and reprogramming a contemporary diesel is being made by 77Travco, which, if true to his handle is dealing with a 1977 Dodge V8. Unless upgraded, he's used to points and vacuum/mechanical timing. Perhaps a modern computer controlled engine is scary for him!

Dang!!!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #152

The BlueTec used very expensive cats,. I plugged them with bad tank of fuel in Arizona. It was replace them for $11,000 or delete for $3000. The delete is actually easier on the engine.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #153

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maybe, I'll make no assumptions, but my dad was like that with old vs new diesels in his tuna seiner. When he saw the money he was saving in fuel, and the longer oil change intervals, he kicked himself for being so skeptical and not listening to other owners. He fixed his own engines, and other things, himself too.

I realize comparing large boat engines and on road engines is comparing apples to plumbing, but these things always get better overall with time and lessons are learned.

In so happy with my '14 diesel Ram that I can't imagine what it would be like to drive one from ten years ago.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Actually it is electronic but I do carry a spare of everything in the ignition system including a complete new distributor.
Yes, modern computer controlled engines do scare me because I do all my own work. I have software and scan tools for all my modern stuff but I cannot find any of the manufacturer proprietary software for the newer diesel trucks yet.