Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #15

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Enjoy...........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #16

I'm surprised to see so much opposition to modding. I understand, it's illegal. So is modifying intakes, and exhaust systems to be "free flowing," but most do it, and they actually help.

Deleting the EGR, DPF, and DOC on the new diesels are great, but usually require tuning once physically removed to trick the computer that everything is ok when, in reality, none of that stuff is there anymore.
Illegal, yes. Definitely helps reliability and efficiency? Yes.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #17

I would do it on my 12 2500 but don't want to spend the big $$$$ for the tuner. Where I live they don't test for emissions annually. But I also have 1.5 years or 20,000 miles left on my warranty. In 31,000 miles I've never had the message for plugged DPF and I do a lot of in town driving. Run the EB and don't lug it. Before the EPA cracked down on tuner companies the tuners were fairly cheap. Now it's harder to find the ones that delete all the codes that're associated with deleting the DPF/EGR. Yes it's illegal but so is driving 1 mph over the speed limit which 99% of everyone does. Lets not be hypocrites.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Yours is a '14 that uses DEF.
And the Diesel Supplement for the Owners Manual talks about DPF regeneration. So how do I find out for sure?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #19

DEF is a fluid injected in the exhaust to cover nitrogen dioxide into nitrogen oxide . The DPF diesel particulate filter is just that a filter for soot matter. Since the dpf on modern diesels they all use extra fuel to run a hotter exhaust temp to clean the dpf to date. The def is injected after the dpf to mix nox and ammonia. Then nox gas and ammonia travel into the scr and turn into nitrogen and water vapors.

Again def has nothing to do with dpf regen...the trucks still use extra fuel for a dpf regen.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #20

It will cost you about 2500$ to do away with emmisions on modern trucks and void warranty plus federal crime in most areas.

I will tell you this the only thing harmful in modern engines is the egr. Your motor is breathing it's own fart...suckling down soot and hot air lacking oxygen back into the motor.

Fuel efficiency is killed by the regen process

Failed sensors and exhaust components put these trucks on the side of the road.

My truck will go till I have the first problem, or out of warranty...which ever comes first.

I think the EPA needs put on a short leash for the crap they do today.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #21

"a fuel mileage gain of 25-30% can be achieved."
Having had a tuner and DPF delete, and driving to conserve fuel, the above is NOT achievable. However, most of the tuners mess with the vehicle's computer enough that the MPG/DTE readings are extremely optimistic--I have seen 18-20mpg on my truck at times, only to put the pencil to it and get 13-13.5. My only experience is with a Ford and do feel that Dodges do better either stock or deleted.
I don't know if the tuners are programmed to delude the user into feeling great about the $$ spent, or it is just an inadvertent computation. I do know that not having the regens happen on long, steep pulls, or while into a passing situation, is a big relief.
And with a Ford, any attempt at an engine warranty with a tuner installed is usually denied--lots of info on Ford forums--'course Ford isn't too slow in denying valid engine warranty concerns either.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Having had a tuner and DPF delete, and driving to conserve fuel, the above is NOT achievable. However, most of the tuners mess with the vehicle's computer enough that the MPG/DTE readings are extremely optimistic--I have seen 18-20mpg on my truck at times, only to put the pencil to it and get 13-13.5. My only experience is with a Ford and do feel that Dodges do better either stock or deleted.
I don't know if the tuners are programmed to delude the user into feeling great about the $$ spent, or it is just an inadvertent computation. I do know that not having the regens happen on long, steep pulls, or while into a passing situation, is a big relief.
And with a Ford, any attempt at an engine warranty with a tuner installed is usually denied--lots of info on Ford forums--'course Ford isn't too slow in denying valid engine warranty concerns either.
I don't know of any vehicle that the computer mpg and pencil whipped mpg were correct...stock er not.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
MPG claims are in the same category as fishermen and used car salesmen. Once as an exercise in math I had students collect MPG claims from the back of magazines and calculate the total gain from compounding one gadget on top of another. They were able to quadruple MPG ---- all on paper.

The question unanswered in all this, if these things gave such mileage increases, why wouldn't the manufacturers incorporate them into their products? They spend millions in research to increase a vehicle's MPG by fractions. Some folks believe in free lunches and winning lottery numbers by email, too.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
You experience with Ford has no bearing on the OP's question about 4th gen cummins Ram up to 2012. The 6.7 uses diesel for regen. This negatively impacts fuel mileage.

2013+ aded SCR using DEF. This system, like that on your Fords, reduces how often the DPF needs to regen. 2013+ cummins get better stock mileage than 2007-2012 for this reason.

Now, remove the restrictive DPF, EGR, and all need to use fuel to regen from a cummins 6.7 up to 2012 and you will see significant gains.

Less gains will be had on a 2013+ cummins or the other offerings from GM and Ford that have the SCR system using DEF.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #25

drittal,
Sorry to have been so abrupt as to mention Ford--but seems I saw "What about Ford and Chevy" in the OPs post...
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #26

I cannot take sides with this, have done it in past. I will post my 2012 only problems have been emissions related. Needs to go in shop now for a NOX sensor. If I deleted likely never go in shop since that is all that is failing. Sorta of a two edge sword.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The smog devices on the diesels seem to be a real pain to their owners. I am not real fond of mine as I see them as a possible problem down the road. So many people in areas of the country that do not require inspections or smog tests remove all the smog devices on the engine. Even though there may be no local issues with removal where you live, remember, this is a federal law, not state or local. If you Delete the smog devices you will be in violation of federal law. If you do it in a area that requires testing, you will not pass and will not get your registration for that vehicle. I know I can't touch mine here in Calif. Do your homework before you delete the smog.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The question unanswered in all this, if these things gave such mileage increases, why wouldn't the manufacturers incorporate them into their products?
Because the EPA spends more millions and requires them.