Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #57

The exhaust coming out of a modern diesel is cleaner than the air sucked into it.

Fuel milage on trucks with scr urea systems is as good as prior to emmisions. I am getting 17/18 with 4.10's in a dually...have 1 tank with a 20 average, and 10 solid pulling my hauler @10k in the mnts.

Prior to scr urea systems the fuel milage suffered badly as they regen alot and waste about 7 gal a fuel per tank just in regen.

If you don't have the scr urea system delete is beneficial yes.

I have never owned a truck that stayed stock, my new one will

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
The exhaust coming out of a modern diesel is cleaner than the air sucked into it.
That's like someone saying the "literally died" when something happened to them.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
But how often do you find yourself behind a rig in regen?
There was almost always someone behind me in my V10 diesel Touareg when the smokescreen started. Looked like something from a 007 movie and this was mandated by the EPA!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #60

There are thousands of these trucks on the road, the only ones I ever see belching smoke are those which have obviously been deleted. Easy to tell from the sound of the exhaust. I have a 2011 Ram and have never seen it belch smoke.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #61

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
There was almost always someone behind me in my V10 diesel Touareg when the smokescreen started. Looked like something from a 007 movie and this was mandated by the EPA!
VW? HA! Considering the recent commotion with VW, you could be making a smoke screen anytime you wanted to!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilber1 View Post
I have a 2011 Ram and have never seen it belch smoke.
2014: NO SMOKE. Some steam on cold mornings, and the exhaust smells almost oddly sweet, but no scaring ladies, children, the elderly, or any "delete it!" fans, either. I'm flying under the radar, not drawing any undue attention to myself, just like I like it!
Old 10-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
VW? HA! Considering the recent commotion with VW, you could be making a smoke screen anytime you wanted to!
That issue only applies to the 2.0L 4 cylinder, which I also own and it never smokes. VW makes or made thousands of other i4, v6, v8 and v10 diesels which are not part of this nonsense.

My deleted Ram never smokes.

The trucks you see smoking a lot are usually running oversize injectors and the reason they smoke is because they are overfueling, which is bad for the engine and generally dumb because ignorant people tag all diesels as being like that. A diesel that is fueled correctly should not smoke at all. Maybe a small puff of a downshift or when cold, put that's all.

Whether you like it or not, a modern diesel from the last 10 years has less harmful emissions than a comparable gas engine. Ironically, what you see and smell is less impactful from a diesel than what you don't see or smell from a gas engine.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #64

I've seen gas engines smoke too! Those must be harmful and probably terribly polluting, and should be banned.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #65

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with TDI-Minnie, the VW issue is highly over-blown. I've had VW diesels since 1982 and enjoy their economic fuel sipping. Older diesels, pre-computer controlled, 2 cycle engine models, poorly maintained or tired engine diesels will smoke, but most modern, well tuned ones do not.

The selling of these delete kits and claiming all kinds of MPG and power improvements reminds me of the days when shady businesses offered all sorts of 'fixes' for the early emission controls added to cars in the early '70s. They emptied your pockets but did little to improve drivability. Some of the early emission measures were pretty convoluted, remember smog pumps?

The OP wondered about the need of the delete kits in a post 2012 Chevy or Ford diesel pick up he was thinking of buying. He's not responded to any of our 'valuable' opinions, so don't know if he's still paying attention or just completely confused.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #66

I know this thread was started about Dodge(Ram) Cummins,,, (LONG time Mopar Fan),,, but I now own a new 2015 Silverado Duramax ,, after many months of researching and shopping... As far as the exhaust,, and yes I'm a trucker,,, you can put your face within a few inches of the exhaust at 80+ MPH (ok, I'm kidding,,, at idle) and NOT smell that nasty diesel exhaust... Nice.... And this 7760 lb truck gets just as good of fuel mileage as my (very nice) Grand Cherokee (04) did... I'm happy... I can side with those that want performance,,, I was a street racer pretty much all my life,,, till I got old. Now days I just wanted a truck to pull a TT or 5th for the rest of my life.... Need to sell the class A ,,, ???
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #67

Quote:
Whether you like it or not, a modern diesel from the last 10 years has less harmful emissions than a comparable gas engine. Ironically, what you see and smell is less impactful from a diesel than what you don't see or smell from a gas engine.
Not if it has been deleted.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #68

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Whether you like it or not, a modern diesel from the last 10 years has less harmful emissions than a comparable gas engine.
True, but still not a reason to somehow excuse deleting emmissions controls.
Diesel Engines and Public Health | Union of Concerned Scientists
Old 10-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #69

paying attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree with TDI-Minnie, the VW issue is highly over-blown. I've had VW diesels since 1982 and enjoy their economic fuel sipping. Older diesels, pre-computer controlled, 2 cycle engine models, poorly maintained or tired engine diesels will smoke, but most modern, well tuned ones do not.

The selling of these delete kits and claiming all kinds of MPG and power improvements reminds me of the days when shady businesses offered all sorts of 'fixes' for the early emission controls added to cars in the early '70s. They emptied your pockets but did little to improve drivability. Some of the early emission measures were pretty convoluted, remember smog pumps?

The OP wondered about the need of the delete kits in a post 2012 Chevy or Ford diesel pick up he was thinking of buying. He's not responded to any of our 'valuable' opinions, so don't know if he's still paying attention or just completely confused.
I am here and reading..... and still some what confused.....lol
Old 10-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #70

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Confusion isn't so bad. Not like a toothache kinda bad anyhow.