Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #71

Well you usually get a powertrain warrenty of 5 yrs 100,000 That a computer will find then your warrenty is shot . Why do you want to screw it up with a delete kit ? My 14 Cummins pulls great and gets better fuelmileage then my 06 . Why do l want to spend a bunch of money for a tuner ? Unless you like being your warrenty center.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #72

Simple fact is though most that have problems is emissions related. I know mine has. Removing emissions the trucks no longer go in shop. This is a huge issue. A tow vehicle needs to be dependable. Truck broke down with your home attached is no fun. Speed limited to 55 while in tow is 15 mph. Yes and that is what these trucks do if emission faults. Also I have to be a new job in two days. Towing to that location. Truck emission faults. I'm broke down and loose out on this job. My work is weeks long. I am all for clean trucks and my hot rod days are long gone. I just want a dependable truck.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #73

Simple fact if it is out of factory warrenty that is up to the owner. If it is not and anything else happens and (yes there are many other components that may fail) then you are screwed when it comes to the warrenty paying for the repair. Which can run into the thousands.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #74

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If these things are defective why haven't they been recalled?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #75

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I think most complaints are because it's new and a change from before. These things tend to settle down after a few years of use and experience.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #76

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A good reason not to be an early sprout appropriate adopter.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:41 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Most issues arise from short run times...grocery getter, people letting them idle for long periods of time. Poor driving habbits.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #78

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Most issues arise from short run times...grocery getter, people letting them idle for long periods of time. Poor driving habbits.
The basic design of diesel engines is to be a hard worked engine. Hence the reasons for a very heavy engine block. Now today we have everyone that thinks they need a diesel engine for the power driving one whether they are driving two blocks, two miles, or two hundred miles. The persons driving the very short distances are the same persons having all the issues with the emissions systems and complaining about plugging the EGR, the DPF, the amount of regens, etc.
The sales people have a lot to do with the blame here. They should explain the potential problems to 1st time buyers to alert them of the possible consequences of purchasing and maintaining a diesel equipped vehicle. JMHO
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #79

Going on 3+ years with my 2012 CTD. Zero issues with emissions. I would never give up on my 5 yr 100,000 warranty. When it's gone that's a different story. I just can't see spend $2,000-3,000 to remove something that's working only to replace it with a tuner that can cause other issues not related to emissions.
Go read about the issue that guys are having with tuners. Things like the cruise stopped working. Getting a code for DPF clogged, even though it's deleted. Blown head gaskets. Truck won't shift out of reverse. Truck has no power. All these are problems from glitches with tuners. Once you install a tuner you lose your warranty. If something even remotely goes wrong that they can tie into the tuner you will get denied repairs. Just not worth the trouble IMO. Yes there are those that have tuners and have had zero issues. But why spend $$$$ to take a chance on having issues.

Run the truck like a truck and not like a soccer moms grocery getter and you'll be fine.
Back before the EPA slapped the hands of tuner MFG's, tuners were relatively cheap.
$500-700.00. Now IIRC they cost way way more. Plus to get one that'll work with deleting codes as well are very expensive.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
The basic design of diesel engines is to be a hard worked engine. Hence the reasons for a very heavy engine block. Now today we have everyone that thinks they need a diesel engine for the power driving one whether they are driving two blocks, two miles, or two hundred miles. The persons driving the very short distances are the same persons having all the issues with the emissions systems and complaining about plugging the EGR, the DPF, the amount of regens, etc.
The sales people have a lot to do with the blame here. They should explain the potential problems to 1st time buyers to alert them of the possible consequences of purchasing and maintaining a diesel equipped vehicle. JMHO
Exactly why I have a gas. 95% of my driving is empty. 70% of that is very short, quick jaunts as a daily driver.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Going on 3+ years with my 2012 CTD. Zero issues with emissions. I would never give up on my 5 yr 100,000 warranty. When it's gone that's a different story. I just can't see spend $2,000-3,000 to remove something that's working only to replace it with a tuner that can cause other issues not related to emissions.
Go read about the issue that guys are having with tuners. Things like the cruise stopped working. Getting a code for DPF clogged, even though it's deleted. Blown head gaskets. Truck won't shift out of reverse. Truck has no power. All these are problems from glitches with tuners. Once you install a tuner you lose your warranty. If something even remotely goes wrong that they can tie into the tuner you will get denied repairs. Just not worth the trouble IMO. Yes there are those that have tuners and have had zero issues. But why spend $$$$ to take a chance on having issues.

Run the truck like a truck and not like a soccer moms grocery getter and you'll be fine.
Back before the EPA slapped the hands of tuner MFG's, tuners were relatively cheap.
$500-700.00. Now IIRC they cost way way more. Plus to get one that'll work with deleting codes as well are very expensive.
How many miles on your 2012?

What kind of MPG are you seeing and at what speed?

My father's 2012 HO DRW got about 12.5-2.8 on the read out at 70mph stock.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post

That era truck did or does get poor milage. Those go into regen about every 3-400 miles and dump 7 gallons of fuel per regen. That's 7 gal of fuel per tank wasted.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #83

7gal per regen ? Where in the sky did you pull that number from ? No how, no way do you go thru 7 gal of fuel on a regen.

They had poorer mileage because they ran more EGR. Once DEF came into the pic they could run less EGR and the fuel milesge improved. That is why on the Rams with DEF you do not have to clean the DPF at 67000 as with the 2012s also not near as many regen due to Less EGR
Old 11-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post

I get 10.5-12.8 towing a 9000lb 5th wheel in Oregon.
17-18 @60mph
18+ @50-55mph
16+ @72mph.
31,600 miles.
I tow about 4000+ miles a year.
I also putt around town since I'm retired. But I will do a run on the freeway every 4-5 weeks, consisting of about 150 miles RT.
Lots of times it doesn't even reach full coolant temps. That's usually 3 months out of the year in winter. Never had the 80% DPF full message.
All the above are the reasons I'll never delete. Why spend $2000+ to get what?
As far as regens using 7 gals of fuel. That's about the biggest load of BS I've ever read.

FWIW, 2012 2500 3.73 gears CC LB 4x4
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote