Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #15

I've decided to buy tires prior to my next camping trip in 3 weeks just to be safe. I do appreciate the responses and advice.

But to answer some of your questions the tires are 5 years old on the truck. The tires on the TT are less than one year old.

The door tag say tires OEM size was 265-75/16 or 31.6"

The previous owner replaced those with OEM Ford 18" rims with 275-65/18" or 32.1" They were the stock size on some newer years.

The Front GVWR is 5200# and the tires are rated at 2565# at max inflation 50 psi

I've also decided to make one of the good rear tires a spare. They are 5 years old but the spare is 15 years old. I figure that's an improvement. I will need an 18" rim but I figure its a wash in cost vs buying a new 16" tire and the truck has a Limited Slip rear so I want to make sure the tires are all the same size.

So I'm shopping for tires. Since this truck will be primarily road serving as a tow vehicle for my TT and a motorcycle hauler for my dirt bikes. So I'm looking at highway tread tires with an E rating. I do go into the desert and require 4wd on occasion. Most of the places I will take this truck will be fine on highway tires. I prefer top brands like Michelin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Consumer Reports says the best tire for your TV in size LT275/65R18E is the Michelin LTX with the all-season M/S tread. Not cheap, but worth it.

Michelin LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18E

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #17

I'm looking at those. I can usually haggle by tire prices down to what online places like tire rack offer. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for with tires and like name brands.

Tirerack has them for $215 for those and $219 for the "Defender" I don't think those MS2's have the load rating I need. The Defender comes in an E rated tire.

I've have good luck with a few different brands but prices being equal I like Michelin.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I thought I'd do a good deed, get some tires at my then local-to-me Les Schwab, get the best tires they sold for my needs. Spent the same amount of money, and while I get great service, I have gotten nothing but the run-around on a balance or tire carcass issue. So, I'm keeping a close eye on these things until the time comes to get a set of either Michelin or whatever load range E tires are rated highly for longevity on Tire Rack.

Costco has member coupons for Michelin tires more often than I ever need them.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #19

I just checked Costco and they have the Defenders at a prices close to Tirerack. They are advertising $70 off Michelin until the end of the month. I guess I have a target date for a purchase now. The $70 off Michelin seems to work at any shop so I'll look around.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The LTX M/S2 might be cheaper to buy, and I've used them on other vehicles before with great results. They come in a 10 ply or load range E tire.

Here is what I would likely buy for my 2014 Dodge 2500 (not necessarily where I would buy them, just an example):
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2OWL&tab=Sizes
Old 02-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #21

Tiger,

Before running your credit card.......

The previous owner changed from a 16" to 18" tire set. WHY? And what did they use the truck for????? Hauling? Towing? Cafe parking lots?

You have a 1" difference in tire diameter at least.... maybe more depending on the tire's height.

A larger diameter 'wheel' effectively increases the rear axle ratio. Meaning the engine will turn slightly lower RPM for a given gear and in top gear. Might give marginally better MPG and looks very cool. OTH, the 'taller' actual final drive means less pulling power. Sure you got a V-10 but.... the Ford engineers used a lot of computer time sorting out gear ratios, final drive ratio and tire sizes to give a balance of performance.

Good pulling power, good trailering capacity, good weight carrying, good performance and MPG over all. It's all a compromise......

With over OEM size 'wheels' the engine management computers will not be calibrated to OEM specifications. Speedo will be off. Shifts will be slightly off. MPG... may or not be improved. Does it make a difference??? Probably not much when feather weighted.... it will likely make a difference with a load.

If you keep the non-OEM 18" tires/rims, you are going to have slightly less performance when towing and may.... just may... have less MPG under load. The reason being, you have to lay on more throttle to accelerate and maintain speed due to the slightly higher over-all gear ratio. To put it clearly, you have to 'put the wood to it'... 'pour on the coal' or 'flog it' to get any kind of performance and maybe even keep up with traffic.

Or, you end up gearing down constantly to keep things moving along with out stress and strain on the drive train. Running a FORD V-10 at higher than necessary RPM really helps the gas companies.

Since you have a V-10.... not noted for it's fuel efficiency, even on its very best day .... even a small increase in fuel consumption is significant. More so when towing a 4500lb trailer with the aerodynamics of a barn behind you.

Crow would go back to OEM wheels & tire sizes. Just sayin'......
Old 02-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
You have a 1" difference in tire diameter at least.... maybe more depending on the tire's height.
No, it's 0.4" difference. But you cannot do accurate math using diameter - you need to use tire revolutions per mile.

Don't be misled by the 2" difference in wheel diameter. The middle number of the tire size can get rid of that difference and more.

Quote:
With over OEM size 'wheels' the engine management computers will not be calibrated to OEM specifications. Speedo will be off. Shifts will be slightly off. MPG... may or not be improved. Does it make a difference??? Probably not much when feather weighted.... it will likely make a difference with a load.
Tiger said the OEM 16" wheels on his 2001 were replaced with OEM 18" wheels, probably from a 2004. But wheel diameter doesn't mean anything. Tire revs/mile is what's important.

Michelin LT265/75R16E tires are 31.7" diameter and have 648 tire revs/mile.

Michelin LT275/65R18E tires are 32.1" diameter and have 657 revs/mile.

That's 1.4% difference in revs/mile. So uncorrected speedo will be 1.4% slower than with the 16" tires. That's one MPH at 70 MPH, so an indicated speed of 70 MPH will be 71 MPH on Officer Bob's radar.

Odometer and tripmeter will be 1.4% low, so after 40,000 miles you would have actually gone 40,560 miles. If checking MPG by hand, a fill up with 480 miles on the tripmeter would be an actual 486.72 miles.

And the 3.55 axle will have an effective ratio 1.4% taller, or equivalent to 3.50 ratio.

And your engine RPM is going to be 1.4% slower at the same MPH. If he tows at 2.700 RPM with the V10, then he'll be turning only 2,662 at the same speed with the slightly taller tires.

That's not enough difference for most folks to care about, but if you're anal about speedo and odo and especially tripmeter accuracy, any decent Ford shop can calibrate the speedo on a 2001 to exactly the revs/mile of the rubber.

Quote:
Crow would go back to OEM wheels & tire sizes. Just sayin'......
Then Crow would spend a lot of money for that 1.4% difference in speedo and odo accuracy, and to get back the 3.55 axle ratio instead of the 3.50 effective ratio he now has with 18" wheels. The dealer can fix the speedo/odo/tripmeter accuracy and will probably charge you about a half-hour labor. But the slightly taller gears you'll just have to live with if you don't want to invest in new wheels and tires.

However, there is a bright spot if you know about the 2004 18" wheels. They came on 2004 SRW King Ranch and Harley Davidson trim pickups, and Ford no longer makes them, and almost nobody else makes them either. They will fit '99 through 2004 only. Lots of folks with those model of SuperDuty SRW pickups are crying for a chance to buy those wheels. 2005-up wheels have different offset and will not bolt onto a '99 thru 2004 and look right. So there is high demand for those wheels if you know how to sell them in the right market.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #23

SmokeyWren addressed most of it. I know the effect of larger tires but I'm not concerned with the incremental increase. The wheels look good on the truck and I don't plan on spending unececessary money.

I will point out that in my experience most vehicle speedometers are not 100% accurate even with stock size tires. Per my GPS my speedometer is spot on with the .5" larger tire.

Second, my new to me Ford came factory equipped with the optional 4.30:1 diff gears. The standard gears on a 4x4 are 3.73's. That small difference in tire size with have little effect on towing power with 4.30's. The truck already revs kinda high at highway speeds.

And fuel efficiency is likely unaffected by such a small tire size difference. But people always knock on the V10 for fuel efficiency. It does fine thank you as a tow vehicle and is probably getting the same MPG towing as any other gas vehicle of similar size and capacity. For what I paid for this truck versus a similar condition diesel I can afford gas for 20 years. I've done the math on the cost comparison between gas and diesel. The break even point is quite large in terms of miles driven. And I paid 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a similar mileage and condition diesel.

I'm more concerned with getting a matching spare because I have a factory limited slip and I don't want to run mismatched tire sizes in the rear. I'm currently trying to source an 18" wheel because they don't make tires this diameter in a 16".
Old 02-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I thought I'd do a good deed, get some tires at my then local-to-me Les Schwab, get the best tires they sold for my needs. Spent the same amount of money, and while I get great service, I have gotten nothing but the run-around on a balance or tire carcass issue. So, I'm keeping a close eye on these things until the time comes to get a set of either Michelin or whatever load range E tires are rated highly for longevity on Tire Rack.

Costco has member coupons for Michelin tires more often than I ever need them.

If it makes you happy having someone up your AZZ before you get out of the truck LS is the place to shop.

Far better quality tires at better prices elsewhere. I paid $1,278 for 6 MS2's including tax at Discount tire for my 15 RAM Dually.

Example of LS work, see the problem?

Old 02-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post
I'm more concerned with getting a matching spare because I have a factory limited slip and I don't want to run mismatched tire sizes in the rear.
Easy workaround for an old farm boy. If you have to put the spare on the ground, be certain you put it on the front axle. If you have a flat on a rear tire, then first swap it with a front tire, then replace the flat front tire with the spare. And then don't put the transfer case in 4x4 mode until you get the flat fixed and move the mismatched tire back to the spare.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Easy workaround for an old farm boy. If you have to put the spare on the ground, be certain you put it on the front axle. If you have a flat on a rear tire, then first swap it with a front tire, then replace the flat front tire with the spare. And then don't put the transfer case in 4x4 mode until you get the flat fixed and move the mismatched tire back to the spare.
That will work for about 100 feet, then you'll get all sorts of warning lights that the ESP or ABS detect a malfunction as the wheels are spinning at different rates.
The truck will think it's skidding.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #27

Delete
Old 02-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
That will work for about 100 feet, then you'll get all sorts of warning lights that the ESP or ABS detect a malfunction as the wheels are spinning at different rates.
The truck will think it's skidding.
So turning a corner, when the tires spin at different speed will set off the ABS ?

ABS senses no spin, as in a skid, before it kicks in. You may even need to be stepping on the brake.

If it worked the way you propose, every time a 44 went into the mud or sand the warning lights would be on.

Tags
tires, tow