Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
That will work for about 100 feet, then you'll get all sorts of warning lights that the ESP or ABS detect a malfunction as the wheels are spinning at different rates.

The truck will think it's skidding.

If that were true then you couldn't use those donut spares on cars with ABS without having your warning light coming on.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but ABS prevents any one of the wheels from stopping if any of the others are still turning. It's primarily purpose is to prevent skids from over breaking.

Limited slip prevents one wheel on an axle from spinning faster than the other wheel under acceleration. E. G. Skids when accelerating. When it senses slip, it locks both sides of axle together with a clutch so both spin at pretty much the same speed. If it didn't slip a little, turning corners under acceleration would cause one wheel to hop.

A locking rear end works similar to the limited slip, except both axles are locked together until you remove power.

When you lock in 4x4, there is no slip between front and rear tires through the transfer case, unless you have full time 4x4. That's why manufacturers recommend the same size tires on all wheels and that it be engaged only on "slippery" surfaces, never on dry pavement.

Running two different sizes of tires on the same axle should be ok for a limited time. It could affect handling but shouldn't tear up anything.
__________________

__________________
2012 Dodge C3500 DRW 4x4 Long Box, WeatherGuard 90 Gal transfer tank, B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Keystone Montana 3100RL, 520W Solar, 460AH batteries, Morningstar MPPT 45 CC, Bogart 2030RV monitor.
drdarrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
If that were true then you couldn't use those donut spares on cars with ABS without having your warning light coming on.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but ABS prevents any one of the wheels from stopping if any of the others are still turning. It's primarily purpose is to prevent skids from over breaking.

Limited slip prevents one wheel on an axle from spinning faster than the other wheel under acceleration. E. G. Skids when accelerating. When it senses slip, it locks both sides of axle together with a clutch so both spin at pretty much the same speed. If it didn't slip a little, turning corners under acceleration would cause one wheel to hop.

A locking rear end works similar to the limited slip, except both axles are locked together until you remove power.

When you lock in 4x4, there is no slip between front and rear tires through the transfer case, unless you have full time 4x4. That's why manufacturers recommend the same size tires on all wheels and that it be engaged only on "slippery" surfaces, never on dry pavement.

Running two different sizes of tires on the same axle should be ok for a limited time. It could affect handling but shouldn't tear up anything.
You are correct. I don't see an issue for the ABS. But this is my tow vehicle and I boondock. So if I get a flat in the desert I could be a long way from a tire shop. I would like to get a exact size spare. Unfortunately finding a wheel is proving difficult. I prefer OEM wheels over aftermarket.

As you can see I'm picky
__________________

__________________
2016 PCW Panther Mini 20BBS
2001 F250 CCLB 4x4 V10
The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 541
Even an exact size spare is only going to be the same exact size for a brief period of time. For example, new tires have approximately 1/2 inch tread depth, right. That means the circumference of your tires is 3 inches greater when they are new verses when they are ready for replacement. How much tread does your spare have on it? Yes, that's really picky ( my comment, not yours)

Good luck in your search for a wheel. A patch kit and air method are probably already in your bag of tricks.
__________________
2012 Dodge C3500 DRW 4x4 Long Box, WeatherGuard 90 Gal transfer tank, B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Keystone Montana 3100RL, 520W Solar, 460AH batteries, Morningstar MPPT 45 CC, Bogart 2030RV monitor.
drdarrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
Even an exact size spare is only going to be the same exact size for a brief period of time. For example, new tires have approximately 1/2 inch tread depth, right. That means the circumference of your tires is 3 inches greater when they are new verses when they are ready for replacement. How much tread does your spare have on it? Yes, that's really picky ( my comment, not yours)

Good luck in your search for a wheel. A patch kit and air method are probably already in your bag of tricks.
Not quite 1/2", more like 13/32, and certainly not that much real world difference when you consider 3/32 is considered a worn out tire. Plus that 13/32" is amplified when you are using a starting point of a different tire size that began 1/2" shorter.

I prepare for war on road trips. I have patch kits, plugs, valve cores, a compressor that can handle truck tires etc. etc.

My truck came with the Limited Slip, I'm not a big fan of clutch based limited slips. Part of the reason is this little discussion. I prefer hard lockers or gear driven LSD's like the Detroit truetrac. I've never owned a vehicle in my entire life that didn't have at least one locker or a limited slip.
__________________
2016 PCW Panther Mini 20BBS
2001 F250 CCLB 4x4 V10
The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
rlott2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BC, Cariboo, Lower Mainland.
Posts: 536
My OE Ford chart shows LT235/75R16 E as correct size.
__________________
2008 KSDP/2013 Flex
2nd year Fulltimers and still loving it.
rlott2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
My OE Ford chart shows LT235/75R16 E as correct size.
235/85-16 is listed as standard equipment on my original window sticker.

However, 265/75-16 was an optional size.

My truck was originally equipped with 265s. It is listed on the window sticker and door jamb. That also happens to be the size of my spare.
__________________
2016 PCW Panther Mini 20BBS
2001 F250 CCLB 4x4 V10
The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
wandering1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 450
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Look at the sticker on the inside of the door frame and it will tell you the tires required by the DOT to support the capacity ratings for your truck. That is the tires you need for the truck.
__________________

__________________
Wandering1
wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tires, tow



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is 4-Down really easier than a tow dolly? jondrew Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 42 10-11-2015 09:35 PM
Where to buy tires and rims for EZ Tow? jondrew Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 5 09-01-2015 06:15 AM
What is a safe size trailer to tow? johnnyringo Travel Trailer Discussion 12 03-13-2015 08:25 PM
What TV to get to have enough space, but still safe to tow Jbird1311 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 25 01-15-2015 06:33 AM
Tow dolly owners beware Squanto Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 7 12-28-2014 01:32 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.