Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Dan

assistance with tire selection

I am in the process of replacing the tires on my 2001 Ford F350 gasser. I pull a Holiday Rambler fiver and am in need of new tires. I have looked at the Goodyear Duratrac LT245/75R/16 in a ten ply. I'm not sure this is the best choice based upon product reviews. The truck is 2 wheel drive single axle. I would like a m/s tread and not overly concerned with road noise although I don't want a ten piece orchestra under the truck. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #2

I am using Michelin M/S2 tires on my truck very quiet, all most no road noise at all. I installed them April 2011, I now have over 23,000 miles on the tires with very little tire wear, seems like they should be able to last the full 70,000 miles life rating on the tires. They are an E-Rated tire for a load rating of 3042@80 PSI. Michelins tires have several sizes of them including the LT245/75R/16/E 120R tire for a MSRP of $261. The 120R is the speed rating on the tire.

Jim W.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #3

While two michelins blew out, the GY Silent Armour 265s have served me well.

I like the Toyo's I put on my MH.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Michelin VS Bridgestone VS Chinese Etc.

To me Michelins felt like steering was merely a suggestion. I didn't like the floating sensation at all and took them back.

I put Bridgestone 'Dueler A/T Revo' tires on my F250 & love 'em. I've never had a problem with them. Some reviews say they're not the best in rain but I disagree. My first set aged out before showing any signs of wear.

Toyo makes a good truck tire and they are pretty popular.

Pirelli Scorpions are too.

JUST SAY NO TO CHINESE TIRES! Tire shops selll them real hard because their profit margin is so much higher on them. (If they can sell them for 2/3 the cost of a good tire and still make 3 or 4 times the profit how much are the tires actually worth?)

Of all the tire failures I've had over the last 40+ years all but one has been a Chinese tire. And that one was a 12 year old Michelin loaded past capacity. I learned my lesson well.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I am in the process of replacing the tires on my 2001 Ford F350 gasser (SRW)
The glorified three-quarter ton F-350 with single rear wheels came with LT265/75R16E, and that's what you should go with if you ever have more than 6,000 pounds on you rear axle.

The best tire with an M/S tread for your truck -bar none - is the Michelin XPS Traction in size LT235/85R16E.
Michelin*XPS Traction

Notice they are not cheap. But that's the only tire I would want on my tow vehicle. I wore out two sets over more than 100,000 miles, and the third set was about half gone when I sold the tow vehicle.

That tire will work good on an SRW if you don't overload the rear tires over their combined 6084 weight capacity. However, if you haul heavy with more than 6,000 pounds on the rear axle, then the XPS Traction may not have enough weight capacity for your requirements on an SRW pickup. But that's the biggest size that the XPS Traction comes in, so if you want a different size such as the LT265/75R16E, you have to pick a different Michelin tire.

Second choice for an SRW would be Michelin LTX M/S2 in size LT265/75R16E, with 3,415 weight capacity, or 6,830 max weight on the rear axle. They're not nearly as good as the XPS, but many owners swear by them. And they are a lot less expensive than the commercial grade XPS.
Michelin*LTX M/S2

Quote:
I have looked at the Goodyear Duratrac LT245/75R/16 in a ten ply.
Wrong size for your truck. If you go with the Wrangler Dura Trac, then go to size LT265/75R16E for you SRW. The 245s are shorter than the stock-size tires, which will result in a speedo/odo/tripmeter error of about 4% "fast" compared to the stock size tires. IOW, an indicated 70 MPH will be an actual 67 MPH, 400 miles on your tripmeter will be an actual 384 miles, and 40,000 miles on your odometer will be an actual 38,400. And realize that the Dura Trac cost less than the LTX M/S2 - and you get what you pay for.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote