Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Just test drive a Limited 5.7L this morning. The dealer I have been dealing with didn't have any Limited's, so I wanted to see what the Limited was with the leather interior. A dealer 45 minutes away had two Limited's, both in black and gray leather. It was worth my drive because the gray leather was very light colored. Now with the Limited you get the 20" rims with the lower profile tires. There is a disclosure in the brouchure that says these tires will experience greater tire wear. Should I be concerned?

Quote:
I tow 8000# 5er. I drive 60-62 mph and averaged 10 mpg on 4700 mile trip from LA to Yellowstone and back last month. I get 20 mpg not towing on interstate at 70 mph. 18 at 75 mph
20 on the highway I can live with....My tt now (2013 Aerolite hybrid) is about 5000 wet, so if I tow at 58 to 62 MPH maybe 11 MPG is not out of the question. So towing 5k behind a 5.7L the Tundra will not be even be breaking a sweat. You know us RVer's when we buy a new unit we always go bigger. So this gives me lot-sa-room to get a larger tt next time. When we were buying our 2013 tt I really liked the Kodiak #279, but didn't have the tow vehicle to handle it.

Found out the factory tow mirrors are only a $40 option.

Quote:
Make sure you compare apples to apples. Crewcab-crewcab, doublecab-extended cab, etc.
Yes, we did that. The Chevy double (Extended cab) was way smaller in the back and the back seat was very upright. The Tundra Double cab had about 3-4" more leg room and the back of the 2nd seat leaned back much more. That was a deal killer for my wife....I would have had to get into the Chevy Crew cab.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't let the towing mirrors affect your decision. On my 2010 Silverado I ordered the towing mirrors at over $600.00 extra only to have problems getting my truck in and out of my garage. Last year I found these: CIPAŽ - Chevy Silverado 2007-2012 Extension Towing Mirrors I upgraded to a 2013 Sierra and the mirrors moved with this change. Mirrors are very good quality and handle my 24' Kodiak easily. Big bonus was the price as the CIPA mirrors are under a hundred dollars a pair. I put them on when I'm towing and take them off when I'm not.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Just test drive a Limited 5.7L this morning. The dealer I have been dealing with didn't have any Limited's, so I wanted to see what the Limited was with the leather interior. A dealer 45 minutes away had two Limited's, both in black and gray leather. It was worth my drive because the gray leather was very light colored. Now with the Limited you get the 20" rims with the lower profile tires. There is a disclosure in the brouchure that says these tires will experience greater tire wear. Should I be concerned?

20 on the highway I can live with....My tt now (2013 Aerolite hybrid) is about 5000 wet, so if I tow at 58 to 62 MPH maybe 11 MPG is not out of the question. So towing 5k behind a 5.7L the Tundra will not be even be breaking a sweat. You know us RVer's when we buy a new unit we always go bigger. So this gives me lot-sa-room to get a larger tt next time. When we were buying our 2013 tt I really liked the Kodiak #279, but didn't have the tow vehicle to handle it.

Found out the factory tow mirrors are only a $40 option.

Yes, we did that. The Chevy double (Extended cab) was way smaller in the back and the back seat was very upright. The Tundra Double cab had about 3-4" more leg room and the back of the 2nd seat leaned back much more. That was a deal killer for my wife....I would have had to get into the Chevy Crew cab.
You're doing your homework, good. Mine came with 18" michelin p tires. I‘ll be replacing them in the spring now that I'm close to 50,000. I like a little more rubber than the 20s offer, and i think the 20s will ride rougher. But thats just me. Ha. I drove to mckinney texas from northwest louisiana for an extra $1800 off sticker, a total of $8,750 off. It was worth it. Local dealer wouldnt budge any more than the $5000 rebate at the time. I really think the tundra will serve you well but if you ever think youll go heavier than 8000lbs, maybe consider diesel 3/4 ton. Good luck and enjoy.
davidjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #18

Tundra towing

Pics of my tundra with current 2013 Rockwood and 2010 Wildcat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1169.jpg
Views:	3259
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	48409

Name:	RV in Snow.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	471.4 KB
ID:	48410
davidjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
David, I see from your two pictures you have what appears to be the Toyota tow mirrors. In the closed / non-towing position how much wider would you say they are from the normal issue mirrors. Here is a picture from Flickr of the 2014 tow mirror.

They look like the same thing. The factory tow mirrors are only $40 more as an option. I was actually surprised they were only $40. Kayakcrazy said his Chevy was $600 for tow mirrors.

Like a earlier post in this thread, I stated my 4-Runner with screw on tow mirrors is 95-1/2" glass to glass and the 2014 Tundra regular mirrors are 95" edge to edge. (we measured with the windows down on both vehicles). In a pinch I could get away with the 95", but with a 96" wide RV I would like a bit more security when changing lanes on the freeway.

My only concern is how much wider are the Toyota tow mirrors when they are closed up for normal driving. I have not seen any on the lot yet. I might call the CIPA number tomorrow to see if they even make ones for the Tundra.

I do plan to retire in about 2-1/2 years and do a whole-lot-of-RVing, so this new tow vehicle will be my retirement farewell, a gift to myself....I'm just getting it a little early....
Old 10-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #20

They each extend 4". These are after market from monstertruckcom I think. They were reported to be same dimensions as orig. equip. Could not order tow mirrors on limited as they cost less that standard.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Could not order tow mirrors on limited as they cost less that standard.
A agree, the standard chrome mirrors on the Tundra's are nice. Before I actually seen a picture of the 2014 Tundra factory tow mirror, I was hoping it would be a regular mirror that just pulled out. My wife was the one who would put on and take off the tow mirrors we use now on your 4-Runner. Would be nice to just slide them out and be done with it.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #22

OK. Back now. Been out of pocket a while. Good thing about these is the dual mirrors on each. One aligned down side for traffic and the lower one for watching trailer tires in turns. Love it. Father in law has Chevy 3/4 ton with "tow" mirrors. They move in and out under power but have only one small mirror on each. What's with that.
Sending pics for you showing measurements retracted and extended. Ruler is upside down so read bottom numbers. Measured straight out from window glass. 16" in. 19 1/2" extended.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20131023_200840.png
Views:	113
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	48425   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131023_200858.png
Views:	94
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	48426  

Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our first TT in 2010, and had a 2005 4Runner with the tow package. Our trailer, fully loaded, was about 6K. If we lived in Kansas we would have been fine, but we live in the mountains. First trip out loaded, we dropped off the camper at the campground drove the 4Runner to the dealership and came back with a 2010 Tundra double cab, towing capacity over 10K.

Dear spouse said we needed to move "up" to a MH, so we did that this year. I would buy another Tundra in a heartbeat. It was an awesome vehicle and I miss it, much as I love the MH. We bought a CR-V to tow behind the MH, and it isn't the same thing AT ALL - but dear spouse is happy.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #24

Well? New tundra yet? Guess you been out paying in it for 2 days and forgot about us lowlifes. Lol. Pictures please!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yup...pulled the trigger today.

Quote:
Maybe you can help me here. Can't decide between the Blue Tundra or the Sunset Bronze Tundra What do you think?
Got the blue one...Actually have to wait 4-5 weeks to have her built....Last night was pondering either getting the factory tow mirrors or going after market. I researched the after market mirrors that you guys posted and just though for the $40 extra, I would get the factory ones.

Got a real good price from the dealer I bought three 4-Runners from. Was 95% sure the other dealer I had a offer from would not be able to beat it. But they showed they wanted my business and came to my target price. Still a whole lot of $$$$. The biggest purchase since we bought our home in 91'.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now we know what Jim's Christmas present is this year. Congratulations. Can't wait to see the real thing.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Nope...Not a X-mas present, I see it as a retirement present to myself...Just a little early. (June 1st 2016).

The hard part is waiting....
Old 10-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #28

Good for you. Been retired one year thus month. It is everything it should be. OEM mirrors all the way. I'd pay $40 each right now for an upgrade. Congrats on the new tundra. You know the Toyota quality, now witness the magic that is tundra.