Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Attention All Tundra 5.7L Owners ~Need Buying Help~?

Looking to upgrade our tow vehicle....

Were very active RVers (50-60) nights a year. In a average year we will do maybe 6-7 weekend trips to local state parks in NE. Ohio. Will also do three 1 to 2+ week trips anywhere from 100 miles to 750 miles from home.

Right now we tow a 5000k lb. tt (25') It's a 2013 so we will be keeping it a number of years, but as all RVers know when you buy your next RV you always seem to go larger....

Right how we tow with a V-8 Toyota 4-Runner...Great vehicle, good gas mileage, great daily driver, great shape 2005 with only 52k miles. BUT.... it is going to be 9 years old. This is our 3rd 4-Runner, but they no longer offer V-8s...So I'm going pick-up. Looked and drove two today the 2014 Silverado (5.3L double cab) and the 2014 Tundra (5.7L double cab).

The plus on the Silverado was the Active Fuel Management system (dropping the V-8 to 4 cylinders) when not needed.

Negative on the Chevy was the rear seat was small and the back of the seat was very upright, the tow mirrors do not go in or out. So as a daily
driver you stuck with wide mirrors.

The plus on the Tundra was back seats that clearly had more room and the rear tilted back for more comfort.

Over-all ride seemed smoother, and the tranny seems to shift smoother.

A big negative is the poor gas mileage for the 5.7L V-8

Because the 2014 Tundra's are new, the dealers don't have many. After driving both today, I'm leaning towards the Tundra. My main ? here can start with: looking over the brochure I want to buy one that will be for towing. I noticed the "Tow Package" includes a 4.3 rear axle ratio. How much will that affect gas mileage? Will it also affect gas mileage when not towing. This may be a non-issue because if I read the brochure right all 5.7L's get the tow package.

I want to hear from others using a Tundra as their tow vehicle, what you tow, weight, length, gas mileage towing and as a daily driver, and your driving habits...

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #2

If you feel the need to sell a car/truck/SUV with only 52k miles on it, why would you ever buy another vehicle from them?
Just curious.

As to options going forward, both dodge and GM are coming out with V6 diesels next year in their 1500 pickups. Should easily handle your towing and efficiency needs.
But none of these vehicles are really nice daily drivers IMO, if you are talking about commuting to work or taking your honey out for date night, or even parking at the grocery store.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #3

Personally if you are concerned with fuel economy as a daily driver i'd get the Silverado or the ford ecoboost, or the new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel coming out before the end of the year. The 5.7L in the toyota is a little outdated.

Are you sure you were looking at the silverado Crew cab and not the double cab??? The double cab has 4 doors but the rear seats are straight up and only good for short trips. The crew cab should be fine for long hauls.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
If you feel the need to sell a car/truck/SUV with only 52k miles on it, why would you ever buy another vehicle from them?
Just curious.
I (actually my wife) wants the security of knowing when we are many miles from home RVing we don't have a breakdown. Nine years is the longest we have owned a tow vehicle. We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2016 and want the most dependable vehicle possible. #2 The last 3 years I have had to pass up deals on stuff I buy at garage sales, estate sales and flip on Craigslist because I didn't have a truck to haul the item home. Also with a truck I can get the bikes out from inside the RV. Also going forward the 5.7L will give me plenty of truck if and when we buy another RV tt. It's best to have too much truck than too much trailer.

Even though the 4-Runner is rated at 7200 lbs tow cap., I wouldn't want to go much over the 5000 lbs (+ or-) I haul now.

Quote:
As to options going forward, both dodge and GM are coming out with V6 diesels next year in their 1500 pickups.
With what they want for diesels now a days and the 20% extra for fuel...that is out of my price point....

Quote:
Are you sure you were looking at the silverado Crew cab
We were actually comparing double cab to double cab. The Chevy crew would give you a short bed (5-1/2'). 6-1/2 feet is what I'm looking for. The Chevy double cab the seat in back was very upright and very little leg room. My 19 year old son is small 5'-5" 115 lbs. Once my wife saw the Tundra's back seat she was sold. Big difference...

I'm not really a Dodge fan. My brother has had three Rams for his RV and has way too many major issues. I think he has gone thru tranny's in all 3 and major front suspensions problems.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #5

I've had the Tundra (2009) for over a year now. We pull a 6500# TT with it and are very pleased. We get an average of 10.5 pulling at 62mph, and as my daily driver I calculate 15.7 most of the time. Of course I drive like an old grampa--oh, wait, I AM an old grampa.

It turns over about 1900 rpm on the highway with the 4.30s 'cause it has a 6 speed trans. Nice running rig. However, it is a half ton and I wouldn't want to pull much more than I do now. That's what 3/4 tons are for.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #6

I've owned a 2007 5.7 Tundra for about a year and a half. I towed my Sunline (over 8K) a few times, and have towed the new Winnebago (6,300 lbs) a few times. With the Sunline in tow, gas mileage stayed around 8 mpg. With the Winnebago, I'm getting 9-10 mpg., but haven't taken any really long trips yet.....heading to FL in March!

On the highway (not towing) I've gotten 16 mpg....sometimes even a bit better. If you do a lot of real city driving, mileage drops to 12-13 or so.

Although the Tundra is rated for 10k of towing weight, I wouldn't want to tow much more than 8K.....and the truck handles 6K very easily!

I really like my Tundra...it was a big upgrade from my 2001 Dodge dually with the V-10 magnum. Unless I were sure that the Ford ecoboost model would really improve towing mileage, I'd get another Tundra.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanx guys...The only disappointment is the poor gas mileage. I do like to here that at 62MPH the RMP's are 1900. 10.5 MPG is OK, I would be more happy at 11.5 I get now with my 4-Runner. My tt is about 1500 lbs lighter, so maybe I can sneak into the 11's....

Right now I'm 95% set on the Tundra. Was looking on the Toyota website to build the truck I need to Tow a RV. First thought I could do with a SR5, but would need to add more options to meet what I want. It almost makes sense to go up a trim level to the Limited.

Do you two ( MarkQ, scbwr) have the factory "tow mirrors". None of the available Tundra's in my area (Cleveland Ohio) have tow mirrors. Saturday morning I'm going across town to another dealer.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #8

Not familiar with Tundras, but why a tow package without tow mirrors?
And, yes, a 4.30 axle ratio will affect gas mileage when not towing--as do ALL axle ratios.
On another note, you will love the Alaska trip--did that in 2011, planning maybe again in 2015. But we did it on a different vehicle level than you are going to do--more weight, more trailer, more expenses for fuel.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ya, I don't understand why a "tow package" don't get tow mirrors. That is one of the questions I'll ask Saturday.

Would like to see a SR5 and Limited (double cabs) side by side to see what each offers. The limited includes the "tow package".
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #10

My SR5 has the tow mirrors, TRD package, and is an extended cab, not the crew cab. Our Arctic Fox is 8 1/2 ft wide and the mirrors are adequate. For 7 1/2 to 8 ft they would be great. I bought the Certified used model through the Costco program and the dealer looked for one with the mirrors. I also recommend the backup camera as I have no trouble hooking up solo. It doesn't always run 1900 Roma with the TT as the Tow setting holds things in 5th gear.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

Umm...that's 1900 rpm. Thanks auto spell.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #12

I bought my tundra in 2007 its an 08 tundra crewmax sr5 love it pull a 2009 attitude 26lfs 9600 fully loaded have had only one problem running out of gas so I have to take filled gas cans on top of my fuel station being full I also installed air lift and got rid of the wdh great decision I feel love my tundra but hate that Toyota wasn't smart enough to put a bigger gas tank and in CA you can't change them out
Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Ya, I don't understand why a "tow package" don't get tow mirrors. That is one of the questions I'll ask Saturday.
Got the answer today about the tow mirrors. It is only $40 more for factory added toy mirrors. In the 2014 Tundra brochure on page two where they have all 5 Tundra models lined up in one picture, the red SR5 has the tow mirrors if you look very carefully.

Today I measured the width ( mirror to mirror) of my aftermarket de-tachable tow mirrors on my 2005 4-Runner to the 2014 tundra with standard mirrors. With my tow mirrors it was 95-1/2" glass to glass. The Tundra was 95" with the standard ones. So with the added factory Tundra tow mirrors it can only be more and the surface area looked to be much larger. My tt is 96" wide so even the 95" is not quite enough to see down the side.

Have received one firm price quote with trade and one "soft" quote with trade. And over the weekend, looking over what the SR5 offered and what the Limited offered, I'm going with the limited. I would have to add too many options to the SR5 to get what I want and need. So might as well start with a Limited.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #14

Where do I start? 2008 limited double cab. I tow 8000# 5er. I drive 60-62 mph and averaged 10 mpg on 4700 mile trip from LA to Yellowstone and back last month. I get 20 mpg not towing on interstate at 70 mph. 18 at 75 mph. Now on my third RV and second tundra. My tundra pulled the rv through the rockies with little effort. The issue with tundras, that I have, will not apply to you. Clearance between truck bed and 5th wheel, and pin weight on a half ton. With TT you'll be free of those concerns. I bought limited when tow mirrors were not available so I bought aftermarket. Make sure you compare apples to apples. Crewcab-crewcab, doublecab-extended cab, etc. But the 5.7 will not break a sweat and Toyota reliability is the reason we keep going back. Good luck.

davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote