Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

Auxiliary fuel tank in 06 F350 Diesel

Hi there! I want to install an aux. fuel tank in the bed in my 2006 F350 diesel dually. The problem is that apparently the "miles to empty" computer doesn't like fuel added while the truck is running. A couple of years ago, I used to leave it run with the A/C on for the dogs at a truck stop while fueling in the desert and eventually the check engine light came on. The local Ford dealership finally came up with a service bulletin that said you would get the check engine light if you left the engine on during fueling (They reset the computer and eveything has been fine since). I called another Ford dealership and actually spoke to one of their diesel mechanics, who said, Yes that is a problem but they could reprogram the computer for an aux. tank. However, the reprograming only works about 90% of the time. Therefore he really didn't recommend a direct flow auxiliary tank.

I spoke to the big gas tank bunch in CA and was told they had never heard of such a thing, and had installed thousands of tanks. However, per the above adventure, I know it is an issue at least in some instances. Maybe not if you have a tank on the same level as the factory one so the computer just sees it as one big tank. For price and convenience reasons, though, I want a bed tank.

Is my only option to buy and mount a pump on my tank in the truck bed and fill the factory tank by hand? I would really like to have the aux. tank feed directly into the original tank, which is much handier and more elegant, not to mention cheaper and simpler. I will probably get a Northern Tool aluminum tank.

Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #2

I have a 115 gallon tank installed in a F350 dually mfg by Dually Depot in Elkhart, IN. Their tanks are available in various sizes. The tanks have their own fuel pump and fuel guage sender which operates off the dash fuel guage. Factory tank and aux tank operates seperate from each other and is selected by a single manual operated switch on the dash. Between the 2 tanks I have an operating range of 1200-1500 miles. FY I most gravity feed aux fuel tanks are illegal in most states and if truck is used commerically then by DOT
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

My GMC has that problem I just put a cut of vale and turn on fuel when needed and cut of when tank get full I run all fuel through aux tank and large fuel filter.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardt48 View Post
My GMC has that problem I just put a cut of vale and turn on fuel when needed and cut of when tank get full I run all fuel through aux tank and large fuel filter.
I thought of that but thought it would take too long to fill through the little tube and gravity flow. I would prefer it to just keep the regular tank full as I drive but if that is not practical, I want to turn off the engine and fill it as quickly (or better yet quicker) than a service station stop and get moving again. So far, I've not come up with anything better than a pump and fueling hose on the tank in the bed.

I like your idea of running all the fuel through the big filter on the aux. tank and will definitely do that in the future. Thanks for a great idea!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #5

I start of with a full tank about 250 miles later open fuel vale and drive the rest of the day most of the time the tank is full when ready to stop for evening. Takes about 25 to 50 miles on fuel gauge not showing any fuel used for the gauge to go to empty.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #6

Installing Aux Truck Bed Tank

Five years ago I installed a 60 gallon tool box/tank combo in my 2005 Duramax. I bought the "Tee" from Northern tools that fits in the truck OEM rubber filler neck hose. I took out the ball check valve that came with the tee and replaced it with a 3/8' hose fitting. I installed an electric fuel pump drawing from the tank discharge and feeding the filler neck tee. The pump is operated by a switch located on the trucks dash with a red light showing when the pump is operating. When the OEM tank is down to about 1/3 tank, I switch the tranfer pump on and watch the fuel gauge climb. When it is full, I turn the pump switch off. My aux tank has a return line, so I put a second hose fitting in the tee in the rubber oem tank fill line, so if forgotten, it just recirulates excess fuel back to the aux tank. I takes about 30 minutes to transfer 15 gallons from the aux tank to the OEM tank. Be sure to use a key switch location that disconnects power to the pump when the switch is in the off position. Avoid gravity feed systems at all cost. They are illegal in many areas. If your aux tank has a ball valve drain in a bottom corner. hook up a hose to it that will allow you to drain (and use) the fuel in the aux tank in case the pump quits. Keep it curled up behind the aux tank with a bolt in the end to keep it clean. I like my setup so much, I can't remember the last time I filled up through the filler door.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
Five years ago I installed a 60 gallon tool box/tank combo in my 2005 Duramax. I bought the "Tee" from Northern tools that fits in the truck OEM rubber filler neck hose. I took out the ball check valve that came with the tee and replaced it with a 3/8' hose fitting. I installed an electric fuel pump drawing from the tank discharge and feeding the filler neck tee. The pump is operated by a switch located on the trucks dash with a red light showing when the pump is operating. When the OEM tank is down to about 1/3 tank, I switch the tranfer pump on and watch the fuel gauge climb. When it is full, I turn the pump switch off. My aux tank has a return line, so I put a second hose fitting in the tee in the rubber oem tank fill line, so if forgotten, it just recirulates excess fuel back to the aux tank. I takes about 30 minutes to transfer 15 gallons from the aux tank to the OEM tank. Be sure to use a key switch location that disconnects power to the pump when the switch is in the off position. Avoid gravity feed systems at all cost. They are illegal in many areas. If your aux tank has a ball valve drain in a bottom corner. hook up a hose to it that will allow you to drain (and use) the fuel in the aux tank in case the pump quits. Keep it curled up behind the aux tank with a bolt in the end to keep it clean. I like my setup so much, I can't remember the last time I filled up through the filler door.
That sounds perfect. However, I still have the probelm of the computer kicking on the "Check engine light" if I fuel while the engine is running. Maybe thats just a Ford thing since nobody has addressed it.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #8

I've heard that Ford has that problem. Maybe someone here will address that problem, or maybe go to a Powerstroke forum and ask it.....Good luck, as it's the way to go for towing.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #9

Some very wrong info here.
Gravity feed of diesel into the main tank from an auxiliary tank is legal in all 50 states. Gasoline cannot be gravity feed.
I use a RDS 91 gal. bed tank/toolbox unit with the RDS diesel kit and have never had a problem with the check engine light.
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaint View Post
Some very wrong info here.
Gravity feed of diesel into the main tank from an auxiliary tank is legal in all 50 states. Gasoline cannot be gravity feed.
I use a RDS 91 gal. bed tank/toolbox unit with the RDS diesel kit and have never had a problem with the check engine light.
What does it do to your "miles to empty" computer and readout? I think (not positive) that's the problem with my '06. It flips out sometimes when the fuel amount changes while its taking readings.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormseeker View Post
What does it do to your "miles to empty" computer and readout? I think (not positive) that's the problem with my '06. It flips out sometimes when the fuel amount changes while its taking readings.
I never use the "miles to empty" on the screen so I can't tell you what it does. I keep the aux. tank flowing into the main tank and when the aux. is empty the main tank fuel gauge starts its countdown. I did put an electrical solenoid valve between the aux. and the filler tube that is powered by a ignition on power wire so no fuel flows when stopped but that is more for peace of mind than a real need to have.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #12

Psaint, Does the fuel fill cap on the stock fill pipe stop any overflow from the Aux. tank so there are no leaks? I would think the steady flow would fill the filler neck right up to the cap.

Also, my concern with the miles to empty is that I think that's the computer that went crazy when I fueled while running. Do you not get the check engine light with your constant refueling while running? It doesn't happen on a single occurrence but turns up over time. Maybe keeping the stock tank full from a steady flow from the aux. tank fools it somehow.

I'm still trying to get a handle on this.
Thanks,
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 AM   #13

I used the "diesel install kit" to connect to the main tanks filler tube. Check it out at
Diesel Install Kit for Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank — Fits Ford and Dodge Trucks

The kit has a check ball that is located on top of the tee that stops the fuel from flowing when the fill tube is full. This stops the level of fuel about half way up the tube and there is no chance of overflowing through the filler neck.

I used the Aux. fuel tank/tool box with the install kit on my previous '99 F350 and now on my current F450 and have not had the check engine light come on with either truck.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #14

Discovered this site that gives some troubleshooting info on gravity feed kits. On newer vehicles, the fuel gauge computer resets and shuts down if it does not see the fuel level going down. Maybe I can use a solenoid valve and start it and stop it before the factory tank is full. Still checking. @#$%^computers!

Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank Installation Kit

www.gravityfeed.4t.com

Tags
auxiliary tank, deisel, f350, ford, fuel