Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Auxiliary fuel tanks?

On the fence about having an auxiliary diesel fuel tank put in the bed of my new tow vehicle. I like the idea of the extended range.

I don't have any toys (like quads, or motorcycles) that need fuel so the intended use is strictly to extend the range of my future tow vehicle (Ram 3500)

Wondering what brands / models others may have and recommend?
PJinHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #2

You could also go with an extend capacity fuel tank to replace the OEM fuel tank. This way the bed is still free to use as needed. Another + for the replacement tank is that the OEM fuel gage will work with the new tank.
Have you looked at these tanks? https://titanfueltanks.com/ Just one of a couple of tank manufactures that are out there.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Hopefully, Ram will figure out they need a larger tank on the long bed trucks, as Ford did.
Short of that, a TransferFlow or Titan tank will work, ATTA will custom make any design you can think up.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
You could also go with an extend capacity fuel tank to replace the OEM fuel tank. This way the bed is still free to use as needed. Another + for the replacement tank is that the OEM fuel gage will work with the new tank.
Have you looked at these tanks? https://titanfueltanks.com/ Just one of a couple of tank manufactures that are out there.

Agree. Added a 65 gal Titan to my F350 LB SD and dropped the OEM 35 gal tank.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinHawaii View Post
Wondering what brands / models others may have and recommend?
Probably the best - but also the most expensive - is Transfer Flow, Inc. - Aftermarket Fuel Tank Systems

They have several options.

One option is to simply replace the stock tank with a bigger tank.

Another is to add a second tank under the bed and plumb it into the stock tank.

Or add an auxiliary tank in the bed. With the right options, the auxiliary tank can gravity flow into the stock tank

Or add a combo toolbox/fuel tank in the front of the bed.

Least expensive would probably be a "refuel tank" that's not plumbed into the stock fuel system. You would have to pump the fuel from the refuel tank into the stock tank - using either a manual pump or a 12-volt electric pump. Normally used to haul fuel to off-road construction or farm equipment, but it would also work to haul extra fuel for your tow vehicle.

Be aware that extra fuel is heavy, and combined with the extra weight of the tank and other hardware will decrease the payload capacity available for hitch weight and other weight on the truck axles. If you are close to maximizing out your payload capacity, then you probably don't want to add a fuel capacity to your TV.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Years ago, a fellow in our campground had a Ford pickup with 2 stock 22 gallon tanks and a 60 gallon bed tank. He pulled a Terry trailer, maybe 25 foot. I told him that if he had an accident anywhere in the Continental United States, we would see the fireball. Of course, diesel fuel isn't that dangerous. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #7

I think it really depends on how you travel and with whom you travel. When towing our travel trailer, I find that our Excursion's fuel range far exceeds the "bladder range" of my traveling companions. If I've got to stop and wait, might as well top off the diesel.

However, when my fishing crew and I haul my boat with the F350, I always wish I had more fuel capacity!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #8

What about 1 tank for off road diesel ( lower taxes ! ) for the genny & stock tank for road motor ?

Many truck stops sell refer diesel, can that be used in a generator? Assuming it is a diesel generator of course.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #9

I have a Dually Depot 109 gal pump fed aux tank in the bed of my Chevy 3500 dually and I love the freedom it provides. Even pulling my fifth wheel, I have a 1200/1400 mile range between fill ups. This allows me to buy the fuel required to get to my destination and fuel up at the cheapest place in town. I am looking to upgrade my truck soon, and the aux fuel tank is definitely going to the next truck. It's not cheap at about $1300, but I can stock up on cheap fuel and can always resell the tank when I'm done with it.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #10

Went with this one, the RDS Aux 45 gal tank set up for gravity fill. Installed it myself in just a couple hours. Only 9" thick so it doesn't take up a lot of the bed. But with it filled I can pull probably 13-14 hours without refueling if I want. We generally don't pull more than about 7 hours at a time. But with the tank I don't have to stop while hooked up at those overpriced truck stops and get raped paying for fuel. I get to our overnight destination, unhook and go fuel back up at the lowest priced place I can find nearby. Next morning we are back on the road.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #11

I second the RDS brand of tank. I have the 60 gallon version and it fits below the bed rail so my Leer folding bed cover is above it.
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #12

We opted for the WeatherGuard 90 gallon L shaped tank with 15 GPM 12V pump. Bought it used. It’s no real bother for me to top off our main tank when we stop a rest areas. It’s a comfort to know that we don’t have to find a fuel point before we get to our destination, most times. The also does not interfere with our turning radius.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #13

Check out Enduraplas Refueling Equipment. They range from 25 to 100 gallon tanks. Are portable and made of poly so don't rust and come completely assembled. Have pump, auto shut off nozzle and 12 volt motor that connects to the vehicle battery like jumper cables. They range in price from $662 for the 25 gallon one to $840 for the 100 gallon one.

I bought the 25 gallon and it also has a 10 year warranty. Also made in the USA if that matters to you.

I am not affiliated with this company, just looking for a reasonably price option, and came across this companies products.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #14

I too use the RDS tool box fuel tank combo-60 gal. I have a GPI electric pump to pump into my main tank and it all fits under my tonneau cover when not towing. I ran the wire to one of the upfitter switches so unless the key is on at least acc position & upfitter switch is on no one can pump it out.

Tags
fuel, tank