Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #1

Here is my issue. My tires on my 5r are wearing badly and unevenly. The rear axle tires have worn on the inside edge of the left and outside edge of the right. They also have lost a significant amount of tread. The front axle tires have worn down on both inner and outer edges only as if they were under-inflated. The tires have 5K miles on them. Multiple people have said that I may have an alignment issue. Took the trailer in, shop said the measured and all was within normal limits. They said "possible bad tires." I don't think I trust their work. Thinking of taking the trailer to a fram and axle shop. Anyone else experience this? Any other ideas?
Chemtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #2

The rear description sounds like the axle is out. Your thought of taking your trailer to a frame/axle alignment shop is valid. The front tires sounds like under-inflation, do you keep tires inflated to sidewall maximum? You should, since most all trailer axles are loaded to the maximum. This is so important the Carlisle tire warranty states tires must be inflated to sidewall maximum or warranty is voided.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
chemtchr, We had a similar problem on our new T/T we contacted the dealer and we were refered to the manufacture of the tires. On both axles the tires were wearing both on the inside and outside, took pictures of the abnormal wear and sent to tire manufacture. Tires were defective and replaced. I had them mounted and rebalanced at a local tire dealer, also had high pressure valve stems installed. So far no problems with the new ones pressure is at stated max pressure. As a note we also contacted Lippert, who manufactured the axles, they were more than willing to have our axles checked for square at no charge.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #4

I'd for sure take it to a shop that specializes in trailer alignment.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #5

Chemtchr, Just for your information. In my 30 years of RV'ing. I have NEVER met a dealer or Trailer Manufacturer that will admit to the possibility of your trailer axles being incorrectly installed on your traler. They will ALWAYS suggest it is something you have done to cause the misalighnment.(Hit a curb, went thu a pot hole to fast, etc) The dealer says this because that is what the manufacturer will tell him to say & will deny ANY claims for this problem.
Now, to try & help you, here is what I suggest you do. It is what I did when I had the same problem, & the trailer chassis manufacturer reimbursed me. The trailer manufacturer would not help me other then tell me how to contact their chassis manufacturer.
Find a quailty trailer alignment facility. This will likely have to be a truck alignment facility, as they are the only ones who can handle that trailer size. Have them perform the alignment & fix ANY problem they find, or have them contact the chassis supplier with the information the have RECORDED. In any case, whatever you find MUST be recorded from the alignment facilities computer printoff machine. Fix the problem they find. Send the trailer or chassis manufacturer the information, bills involved & wait for their answer of assistance.
This is the ONLY way you MAY have a chance of getting ANYTHING from these people. BTW. I had been in the heavy trucking industry & I am a licensed automotive, truck & bus tech for over 40 years. I also handled warranty for the company I worked for across Canada with all truck & trailer OEM's related to drive axles, steer axles, trailer axles & drive train. If a customer gave me the proof of their concern, nine times our of 10 they were able to get assistance.
Hope this will hope you somewhat & good luck.

Reg
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #6

Thanks for all of your information and suggestions. I do keep my tires inflated to the sidewall recommendations. That is why the wear pattern had me baffled. I definitely will take the trailer to an alignment facility. I'll keep you posted.
Arctic Owl- your suggestion of the computer print out is especially appreciated.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 AM   #7

I would also suggest that you get a 4 wheel weight ticket from a good "cat' scales location. It is very possible that your trailer is overloaded on one side or axle which could cause the same symptoms to appear. Also, are you towing level??
Old 02-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #8

Here's an update.
I took the my trailer to a frame and axle shop. One look at the tires and the shop owner said that there was a problem. I told him just fix it and let me know what the damage was. Turns out, all four tires were off camber. The initial camber was a -3/4. The new setting is now at +1/4. I asked him if there was anyway I could have caused the axles to be that far off. He said no. There was no sign of any damage to any part of the axles, frame or tires and rims. Now the fun begins. I am submitting the bill to Fleetwood this week and see what their response is.
In response to some previous postings I need to say that I am towing level and I travel with only 1/3 of my water and my black and grey tanks are less than that, so I don't think I am near the weight limits. My wife and I are light packers and believe it or not we have lots of extra storage space. I will have everything weighed just in case. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #9

For future reference; Dexter has this handy self-use axle alignment checker: http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/6-8K_Service_Manual_3-08/Suspension_Systems_2-08.pdf
Go to the last page for instructions and diagram.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #10

I don't know if you have done this, but get your tires balanced. I have never seen balanced tires on a new trailer.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote