Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #1

I have a '04 F250 PS Ford, Crew, short bed. I already have the B & W turnover ball in the bed. I am buying my first 5th wheel camper soon.
I have looked at (on internet only) B & W's 5th wheel hitch. Looks good, uses the mounts already there, has a long 2" shaft that connects it to the existing mounts. When removed, bed is clean again (almost). Price is right.

Anyone use this set-up?? The negetives?? Will I need a "slider" hitch because I ahve a short bed??
Dagwood_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #2

I have a '04 F250 PS Ford, Crew, short bed. I already have the B & W turnover ball in the bed. I am buying my first 5th wheel camper soon.
I have looked at (on internet only) B & W's 5th wheel hitch. Looks good, uses the mounts already there, has a long 2" shaft that connects it to the existing mounts. When removed, bed is clean again (almost). Price is right.

Anyone use this set-up?? The negetives?? Will I need a "slider" hitch because I ahve a short bed??
Dagwood_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may be in for a major shock. Most SB pickups need the slider unless you plan on buying a TITANIUM 5VR.
Some will say they have never used theres however you will here many stores where they forgot to slide the hitch and $5K they had there truck and 5VR repaired
B&W does make a great hitch setup but it may be all for NOT.
Oh, yeah don't believe all the hipe about the Pin Box extenders because most manufactures will VOID the warranty if you use one
Old 04-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #4

The B & W is an excellent hitch but they do not offer a slider option. If you decide to go with it anyway, check ebay. There used to be a guy selling them there very cheap. Installing it takes just a few minutes each time. I really like mine, but with a shortbed, I think I'd want a slider. With my last truck, I had the slider and a shortbed and never used it. However, I'm sure the time would have come eventually and I like the idea it was there.

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
The Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
The B&W is a great hitch and I have been using it in my shortbed Ram for over a year with no problems. True it won't turn to 90 degrees(it will do about 85) but I have never had to turn that short. I am just very carful when making tight turns and take it slow and steady. If you decide to go with it you will not be dissappointed. By the way, buy a 5ver with an extended pin box.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #6

I am in a similar situation and was thinking about posting the exact same question. I have a 2001 shortbed RAM 2500 and we are currently shopping for a new fiver. All of the models we are looking at have the extended king pin on them.

My truck also had the B&W turnover ball gooseneck already installed in the bed when I purchased it. The 5th wheel companion sure would be nice if it would work with my shortbox. I use my truck bed to move a lot of computer equipment when I'm not towing, so I have a custom carpet kit and tonneau cover. It's like a huge car trunk. I really want a clean install for my hitch.

Would love to hear more opinions on whether this is doable or not.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #7

The hitch does have a few inches of adjustment front to back depending on how you mount the side pices, I really like having a clean bed when it is out myself

2000 Ford Crew Cab Dually
Offroadtoys is offline   Reply With Quote