Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

Back up camera on the trailer?

I have a back up camera in my truck, and it find it more useful than I imagined. But it's pretty worthless when the trailer is connected. What I'd like is a camera on the back of the trailer so I can see where the trailer is going. In a perfect world, it would display on the information center of the truck, and it would automatically show the trailer camera when the truck and trailer are connected.
Does such a thing exist, or have I just come up with an idea that will make an entrepreneur a fortune?

Quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Aftermarket backup cameras are plentiful, but I've never heard of one that will integrate with your truck's display system. Back in my school daze getting my MBA, I learned the way to get rich was to figure out something that people wanted, develop and engineer it and manufacture it and sell it. So why don't you research it further and if there's not already one on the market, then get to work.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #3

The aftermarket stereo shops may be able to add another feed to the head unit (dash display) and a wireless video camera mounted on the trailer may work for you.

A friend just added an aftermarket backup camera to his Dodge Durango. He had the factory head unit that is video compatible, but did not want to fork out $800 for Dodges camera. He went to a stereo shop last weekend and had an aftermarket $180 video camera installed. They told him to go to a dealer to have the head unit video feed turned on with the service techs computer. They tried to tell him they couldn't, but the stereo shop had done the same thing a week earlier on the same model. Took him arguing with the service writer to see a tech, and the tech did what he asked and the video WORKED. The only thing is it throws a code to the Durangos computer that the video module isn't being read. Whenever the dealer pulls codes this will always come up since he didn't use the Dodge video module. $800 vs $180 and a code in the computer?

Something can be done with your unit - finding someone who knows how is the key. If a feed splitter isn't available, you may have to go aftermarket for both cameras, and use a switch to power the camera you need when connected or solo.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #4

Thanks for that response, and as you stated, finding someone who knows how, and is willing, to do it might be the biggest challenge.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

The local AutoZone has a wireless camera and receiver screen for $75 here, but screen is a little small. Saw it today at the counter.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

You have been a lot of help.

Thanks!!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a fan of the small screens on most aftermarket wireless backup cameras. But here's one with a 7" screen. If I add a backup camera to my rig, I'll probably get this one:
Rear View Safety 7" LCD Color Backup Camera System with Audio
Old 06-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

If you put a wireless camera on the back of the TT make sure it is one that has enough range to get the signal to the TV.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
LOL
Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #10

This is the unit I installed on my 5th to keep an eye on my bike in tow.

RVS-770613-213 1 camera set up 5th wheel | backup camera system | Rear View Safety

It works excellent, day or night.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't just think of it as a backup camera. It is just as useful while driving. It makes it extremely easy to judge where the car in the next lane is while making lane changes utterly risk free. I can also check on my spare tire cover and bicycles while driving. Mine has the separate display that I attach to my windshield so it is displaying video the entire trip. For this reason I wouldn't go with a display system that only engages when backing up or utilizes the in-dash system you may already have. We use the navigation on the trip which would mean switching back and forth all the time. I prefer to use mine like a rear-view mirror for safety.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You might try here --> https://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

It can take more camera inputs AND release the locks that ford put in

Or here's what I decided to do:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-of-truck.html

ordered the camera and rear wiring harness.... just need to do the install
Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #13

I had a wired camera on the back of my old TT I installed. All you have to do is buy an extra camera that is compatible with your current one.

- Install camera on TT.
- Run camera wires under TT to trail tongue.
- Cut truck camrea wires and install male and female connectors.

Now when youre hooked up to the trailer all you have to do is unplug the trucks camera and plug in the trailers.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #14

Great ideas! The idea of having it display separately, and all the time while driving, is something I hadn't thought of!!

Thanks for the great suggestions!!

Tags
camera