Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Back-up cameras

I've been looking at adding a wireless back-up camera to my 27' TT ..... anyone have any they could recommend..... saw a nice selection at Tadi Brothers... I've read lots of bad reviews about them, not really sure ... Thanks

silverado07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
When we had our TT we tried two different ones and always had reception issues. That was mounted to the rear of our 24' TT and on the dash of our truck so the distance was less than your 27 footer. The manufacturers come up with really long distances obviously tested with clear line of sight. Hopefully you can find a good powerful set, but will have to pay good money for it.

USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
I use a Swift Hitch portable camera. I like the ability to put my "remote eyes" wherever I need them.

I have a Ram 3500 with an 8 ft box and my trailer is a little over 35'. I do not have any trouble with reception.

The reason I chose the portable camera (magnetic mount or suction cup mount) is for the three usage models;

1-use to hitch boat or trailer (mounted to the tailgate)
2-use to back boat into storage stall (I put it on one of metal poles and watch side to side alignment. Once lined up then I reposition it to the rear of the stall to know when to stop.
3-ditto for the trailer. When I am backing the trailer in the stall solo, I am totally blind since I am turning while backing.

I have used the camera for nearly 4 years and have been very pleased with hits performance and quality.

By way of contrast, I have a relatively inexpensive mounted camera on my Honda pilot for hitching a smaller trailer. Some times there is interference for no apparent reason. The Swift Hitch is very good even when it is located beyond my boat or TT rig
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
What I told someone just recently on the Class A board:

"I installed one of the Voyager WVOS511 wireless cameras. This one pairs the monitor with the camera to exclude interference and it worked very well on the inaugural trip. I wired the camera power to a clearance light as per the instructions. I have to run with the running lights on for the camera to have power, but it was just like having a rear view mirror looking out behind the trailer during the trip. The only hard part was drilling the hole in the siding, which was not difficult as much as it was nerve wracking.

I wish the top to bottom field of view was slightly wider. I can just see my rear bumper, but only about a car length or two back behind me. Would like to be able to see further back. I would highly recommend this unit."

I'm assuming this would be a camera for the back of the TT. I'd add that when backing it is a bit difficult to reference where you are and which way you should turn, at least at first. I haven't had the unit long enough to get adept at it. Some people put reference points on the screen to make that easier, something I might try at some point.

Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
Thanks for all ur input on back up cameras ... Looks like digital cameras are the way to go for a wireless system. Thanks again
silverado07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

I also have the Voyager WVOS511 and recommend the unit. I like that it has sound so I can hear my wife when she is at the rear of the trailer giving a direction.
btritschler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
I have installed a backup Camera on the back of my travel trailer
I hated having the huge blind spot behind the trailer.
I did NOT go the wireless route as most run in the same frequency spectrum as Bluetooth or are priced way out of my price range.

I bought a CMOS based with Infrared night vision 120 * field of view camera with the distance grid in the camera and the TFT monitor off Ebay. Bought the power wire and Coax locally and the RCA to RF adapters.
Bought a pair of RCA to RF connector. I ran RG6 coax cable (Same stuff used for Satellite TV dish connections) from the camera to the tongue on the trailer. Then from the rear bumper to the inside of my Truck to a clip on rear mirror 7" TFT display. Used a slip connector between the trailer and the truck for the RF end. At the monitor used the RCA to RF connector. Powered the mirror off a 12 volt connection near the mirror. Powered the camera off the trailer running lights.
Crystal clear picture out the back for backing up or for making lane changes on the road. No interference what so ever. Ran the power and coax down the frame of the trailer. Bought a short piece of cable cover and hide the camera power and coax in that. See image attached
Total investment was under $120.00
So why use RG6 Coax cable? Weather resistant and it is shielded so no interference from any other signals at all and it is easy to find. HD had the cable and the RCA to RF adapters and the cable cover.
Would I do it again with the same gear? YUP!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0720.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	59833  
TV: 2013 F150 FX4 Screw Ecoboosted! Luxury trim
OLD TT: 2012 JayFlight 22FB SOLD
New TT: 2014 Jayflight 26RLS
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Very clean install! I have been considering doing the same. It would be nice to see what's happening 35' behind me. I will have to look into your setup.
2014 Coachmen Catalina 303 KDS
Miller303KDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
I've got a wireless model on my 44" toy hauler. Cuts in and out some but works well 98% of the time
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali
2014 Voltage 3970 Epic III
MarksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
I like the idea of the hard wired camera for my TT. I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 8.4" display. I am thinking about something called a Lockpick that allows extra video inputs. I am going to try to find out if I can get one and hard wire a camera on the rear of the TT and see it on the OEM display. I don't want to have an additional display I have to disconnect and hide every time we stop.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
Jayco Owners Club
I purchased a Peak wireless rear view/back-up camera (with a 7" monitor) from Sam's several years ago. Camera is mounted in the license plate holder. I was able to get some additional cable and placed the transmitter as far forward in my TT as possible. It is far enough forward in the TT, that the signal is usually not disrupted. Very helpful when trying to monitor what's going on behind me.
okraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
I put this on my 5th before heading out west last year. Worked perfectly the whole time. It was on the whole time because I wanted the wife to keep an eye on the Goldwing riding on the SwivelWheel behind the 5th.

2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW w/1993 GL1500SE
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 AM   #13
I looked into the Lockpick... Too many $$ for my blood on my truck it was over $500 at the time!
Hence the Ebay Camera and 7" Display that I purchased
TV: 2013 F150 FX4 Screw Ecoboosted! Luxury trim
OLD TT: 2012 JayFlight 22FB SOLD
New TT: 2014 Jayflight 26RLS
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
Running RVS(rear view safety) 4 camera system. Luvin it!!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote