Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #15

I came close to being high bidder on a 2012 Jayco superlite 27' fifth wheel. It weighed 7050# dry weight. Am I lite enough now with that set up to use a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck with trailer package? The rating on the 1/2 ton trucks fifth wheel towing capacity is 9500# I am trying to go with the 1/2 ton, because it will be our only vehicle,,to be used for everyday travel. I can order the truck with a bigger engine and optional axle gearing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberframe
I came close to being high bidder on a 2012 Jayco superlite 27' fifth wheel. It weighed 7050# dry weight. Am I lite enough now with that set up to use a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck with trailer package? The rating on the 1/2 ton trucks fifth wheel towing capacity is 9500# I am trying to go with the 1/2 ton, because it will be our only vehicle,,to be used for everyday travel. I can order the truck with a bigger engine and optional axle gearing.
The problem will be the pin weight of the 5er. Most if not all 1/2 ton trucks will have payload capacity that will not handle the pin weight and all your gear along with passengers. Also, the rear suspension is lighter on 1/2 tons that on 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #17

timberframe
The 4x4 truck bigger engine and optional gearing still won't allow the truck carry more weight. All new 1500 GM trucks are limited to approx 1400-1500 lbs of capacity because they all use GM small 3800-4000 RAWR which include springs/wheels/tires that will be carrying the pin weight.

A 9500/9700 lbs 5th wheel trailer will still have around 1800-1900 lbs of pin weight at a minimum after you load the trailer.

Like KJcachers says your problem is the 1/2 ton trucks small payload capacities. Also 4x4 trucks eat into payload numbers vs a 2wd same truck.

I would look for a 5th wheel trailer in the 6000-6500 lb dry weight range with a 900-1100 lb dry pin weight .... or smaller.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
No it wont safely handle the 5er. Dont cheap it, get the truck you need if you want to RV.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberframe View Post
I came close to being high bidder on a 2012 Jayco superlite 27' fifth wheel. It weighed 7050# dry weight.
Dry weight is meaningless. What's the Gvwr of the 5er? Use the GVWR of the trailer to estimate the wet and loaded weight of the 5er in the middle of your third long trip.

Quote:
Am I lite enough now with that set up to use a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck with trailer package?
Probably not. As others noted, GVWR of the pickup will probably be your limiter.

Quote:
The rating on the 1/2 ton trucks fifth wheel towing capacity is 9500#
More meaningless info. That tells you only how much weight your truck can pull, but ignores how much weight you can haul. If your trailer is a wagon-style with insignificant hitch weight, then use that tow rating. But for a TT, and especially for a 5er, determine how much unused payload capacity you will have after loading the truck with people, tools, jacks, coolers, hitch, other stuff, and a full tank of gas.Divide that unused payload capacity by 0.20 to get the max weight of any 5er you can tow without overloading the truck. For any half-ton pickup, it ain't much.

Quote:
I am trying to go with the 1/2 ton, because it will be our only vehicle,,to be used for everyday travel. I can order the truck with a bigger engine and optional axle gearing.
Example: Special order a 2012 F-150 with HD payload pkg and Max tow pkg with EcoBoost engine. Requires 3.73 Limited Slip axle. GVWR 8,400 pounds. GCWR 17,200 pounds.Wet and loaded CrewCab 4x4 will weigh around 7,000 pounds, leaving payload for max hitch weight of 1,400 pounds and real-world tow rating of 10,200. 1,400 divided by 0.20 = 7000 pounds max trailer weight.

My 25' Sprinter with one slide weighed about 8,000 pounds when on the road With just two old folks and two dogs. They don't make many 5ers smaller or lighter than that. So even with that special order towing machine, you'll probably be overloaded with that 5er. And most folks want at least a 10,000 pound 5er so they will have some rattling around room.

I love my 2012 EcoBoost, and I'm now in the middle of a 4,000 mile towing trip. But I'm dragging a small TT instead of a 5er. The CAT scale says I'm right on the GVWR of the truck and way under the GCWR. So with that special order towing machine noted above, you could probably tow an 8,000-pound TT without being overloaded.So either shop for more truck or less trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #20

Weights

Hi

I don’t recommend using the ½ ton truck for the 30 ft 5th wheel trailer I do know that GM has drastically reengineered their light duty trucks by increasing the frame structure by “Boxing” the frame and increased the braking ability with bigger brakes and upgrading the suspension.

I still wouldn’t go with the ½ ton truck. You will find the ¾ ton truck to be a lot more stable and less fatiguing to drive long distance.

Last but not least I think you may be mistaking about the trailer weight. You need to look at the trailer you have or are considering having and the number you should work with is the maximum gross weight. I think you may be using the empty weight.

3665RE