Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #15

I think it was a combination of factors that led to this wreck. The BIGGEST factor was inexperience! If not, the other factors wouldn't have come together and culminated in this wreck.

The WDH (not sway bars) can induce sway if not adjusted equally. I have noticed my trailer not towing 'right', stopped and inspected to find it was 2 links different and readjusted it and started back on the highway to a trailer towing like it should. This was when I was towing with my 1500 GMC and over capacity. I had another incident also - while on uneven terrain and turning, I had the head platform of my Reece 1,200 lb trunion style WDH "blow" out. One side would not stay hooked up and I had to tow 90 miles back home like that. A new head platform ($130 later) fixed that. Reduced speed and the friction sway controller helped me get home safe. Depending on the trailer weight, length, axle placement, and the size of the tow vehicle, its capacities, and how close or far from them your rig is, weight distribution hitches can be used with only 1 bar and sway may not be noticed. BUT having a bar pulling down on only 1 side of a trailer does have an effect. It may be more noticable on some trailers than others.

The WDH in the pics are of round bar design (usally 800 lb bars). They are inserted from the bottom and locked to the hitch head. One side is completly off the hitch - either it wasn't properly attatched or ripped out. I go with not properly attatched.

The friction bar (anti sway control) isn't hooked up nor does the ball look as though one had been used at all. It would have helped. I recently replaced one that had become ineffective due to age and weather, and boy can I tell a difference, EVEN WITH my new 2500 truck!

Trailer brakes are another factor. Either 'lack of' OR improperly adjusted brakes contributed here. On wet roads, trailer brakes can lock up and jackknife a trailer. Proper adjustment and use of trailer brakes can add a whole new level of brakeing safely. If sway had started, light to moderate, and even intermittant application of the trailer brakes can reduce sway. Once sway has started, using the TV brakes too hard adds to the bad situation. LACK of trailer brakes can cause wrecks too.

Experience would have had the driver check his rig and also adjusted it for conditions. He/she would have had a friction sway bar attatched too.

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
so go ahead and test it. let us know how it works out. if the results are the same as above, post some pictures.
LOL!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #17

It could have been ice too. I've hit patches of black ice like that and lost all steering. Sad thing is, that's someone's camper. I hope everyone was ok.
Marky
Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
The WDH in the pics are of round bar design. One side is completly off the hitch - either it wasn't properly attatched or ripped out. I go with not properly attatched.
That's very plausible. We had a round bar WDH on our old TT. The bars are locked in place with a small pin and a spring clip. The pin is supposed to be captive in the clip. Not exactly a substantial foolproof design IMHO. On our old WDH, from new, I had trouble making one pin and clip engage properly and I actually lost the pin somewhere once. Never did figure out where, but it wasn't while towing. Replaced the pin and was okay after that. So I can see the possibility of somebody having a bar fall right out while towing. But the bar could have come out in the accident too.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #19

The bars were still attached at both ends. The TV was a 2007 F250 Super Duty Diesel. The owner allowed the ex to hook the Camper to the TV and failed to follow up.
She was traveling South and after the death wobble began, she spun out. She ended up facing North.
The owner had towed 1000+ miles on trips. Not inexperienced. Just panicked.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #20

F250 and a trailer that size is adequate! I was thinking 150/1500 or SUV or maybe a car as the TV. Even without bars there was something amiss. Trailer tongue weight may have been too light. Tire low on air or outright failure. Pic shows bar dragging, but could have come loose in wreck. Too fast for conditions? Or did EX set her up for failure? Divorced? Final? Cheaper than payments! Glad she wasn't hurt.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #21

That's pretty amazing that only the bars caused a wobble. But you're right, just panicked and didn't slow down with trailer brakes. Probably slammed on the brakes and that was it.