Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

Bed rail vs goose neck ball hitch??

I have a 2015 Silverado HD and the plan is to purchase our first 5er in the next two years, retire, and become full timers. I definitely plan on removing the hitch when it is not in use and so am considering the Andersen Ultimate....which I've seen pretty much nothing but good reviews for. The question is....which set-up would be best for the truck and/or 5er.....the B&W goose neck ball or the traditional rail set-up? I don't mind the added expense of the ball version as long as it is worth it. I am not expecting to ever really need a true goose neck hitch so it comes down to whether one version is better, more solid, safer for truck/5er......not that "price is no object" by any means but I am of the old school belief "you get what you pay for."

Thanks for all your expert experiences and opinion!!

tsm1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #2

I have the Andersen Ultimate secured directly to the goose neck ball and sitting on the bed and have had zero problems. With that said, I would imagine that if you already had rails, or something like a factory 4 point connection, that could be argued to be superior. You could go either way. I'll be putting my hitch back in next month for the summer travel season. At 32 lbs it's a piece of cake.

rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #3

Here is a thread on using slider hitches and in post #16 and 17 the Anderson hitch system is mentioned. You can read through the entire thread or just the items about the Anderson Hitch.

5th Wheel Hitches, Enlighten Me Please

Now another item to think about is the gooseneck style hitch on the 5er frame! Most trailer manufactures will voided the frame warranty of any trailer using a gooseneck hitch. The reason is the frame is not reinforced for the load that is being placed on the frame from the gooseneck hitch. You may want to ask the trailer manufacture about using a gooseneck hitch.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1975 View Post
I have a 2015 Silverado HD and the plan is to purchase our first 5er in the next two years, retire, and become full timers. I definitely plan on removing the hitch when it is not in use and so am considering the Andersen Ultimate....which I've seen pretty much nothing but good reviews for. The question is....which set-up would be best for the truck and/or 5er.....the B&W goose neck ball or the traditional rail set-up? I don't mind the added expense of the ball version as long as it is worth it. I am not expecting to ever really need a true goose neck hitch so it comes down to whether one version is better, more solid, safer for truck/5er......not that "price is no object" by any means but I am of the old school belief "you get what you pay for."

Thanks for all your expert experiences and opinion!!
First, if you plan on full-timing, then how often will you actually remove the hitch?

Second, as a newbie to fifth wheels, use a conventional fifth wheel hitch or at least the Andersen. In both cases, you can see the hookup point from the driver's seat, a big plus compared to what you are used to. On occasion, I have to move conventional GN trailers with a bed mounted ball, slow process to get it aligned by yourself. With a conventional fifth wheel hitch, single person hookup is normal, I've been doing it for over 25 yrs. My hitch breaks into two pieces, pull two pins and remove the head, pull four more and remove the crossmember/legs.

Finally, you aren't limited to rail systems when it comes to fifth wheel hitches, there are a number of underbed mounting systems available.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bed rail vs goose neck ball hitch?? The question is....which set-up would be best for the truck and/or 5er.....the B&W goose neck ball or the traditional rail set-up? I don't mind the added expense of the ball version as long as it is worth it. I am not expecting to ever really need a true goose neck hitch so it comes down to whether one version is better, more solid, safer for truck/5er......not that "price is no object" by any means but I am of the old school belief "you get what you pay for."
There are two versions of the Anderson fifth-wheel hitch. One version is sorta like the B&W TurnOverBall Companion 5er hitch in that it plugs into a TurnOverBall gooseneck receptical in the bed.

Http://www.andersenhitches.com/Produ...k-version.aspx

The other version is a normal 5er hitch in that it plugs into the "industry standard" (Reese) above-bed rails in the bed.
3200 - Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection -Rail version

So with either version, you must first install either the TurnOverBall or the above-bed rails. There should be no difference between the strength or perfornanceof the TurnOverBall gooseneck recepticle or the above-bed rails.

If starting with no hitch at all, the TurnOverBall version will leave nothing in the bed when he 5er hiotch is removed. The Reese bedrails usually remain in the bed after you remove the rest of the 5er hitch.

I had the Reese in-bed rails for a dozen years towing my 8,000-pound 5er, with absolutely no problems. But some folks hate the bed rails left in the truck when not towing. It's about a half-hour job to remove the bedrails, so it's inconvenient, but certainly not impossible to remove them as part of putting away the 5er for a season.

When the 5er hitch is removed, the TurnOverBall version of the Anderson 5er hitch leaves nothing in the bed except for a big hole in the bed.

And the difference in price. You can buy the Reese "universal install kit" which requires drilling into the steel frame of the truck, for about $130. Or the "custom install kit" for yur exact truck frame for about twice that amount.
url=http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Chevrolet/Silverado+2500/2015/RP30035.html?vehicleid=2015642419]2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Fifth Wheel Installation Kit - Reese[/url]

The TurnOverBall will cost a lot more.
B&W Turnoverball Underbed Gooseneck Trailer Hitch w/ Custom Installation Kit - 30,000 lbs B and W Gooseneck BWGNRK1012

I assume your 2500 has an 8' bed. If it is a shorty and you were my kid or grandkid, I would veto use of a non-sliding 5er hitch
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #6

I like the turnover ball better than rails , I use the Andersen. For me its all about use of my truck bed with hitch out.
I use the Curt ball in my truck because its the only system that uses 2 pins instead of 1 to keep ball secured that I am aware of.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Here is a thread on using slider hitches and in post #16 and 17 the Anderson hitch system is mentioned. You can read through the entire thread or just the items about the Anderson Hitch.

5th Wheel Hitches, Enlighten Me Please

Now another item to think about is the gooseneck style hitch on the 5er frame! Most trailer manufactures will voided the frame warranty of any trailer using a gooseneck hitch. The reason is the frame is not reinforced for the load that is being placed on the frame from the gooseneck hitch. You may want to ask the trailer manufacture about using a gooseneck hitch.
It really depends on the truck and/or trailer. First off, the Anderson is not a "gooseneck" hitch. It is a ball hitch mounted at the same approximate level as a typical 5th wheel hitch. So in essence the geometry stays the same.
If you have a long bed truck a slider is not needed and the Anderson would be a good choice as you'd not have the issue of the trailer cap coming into contact with the cab.
Many trailers are now built to tow with shortbed trucks. Sure you can't do a 80-90 degree turn, but you can turn fairly sharp and a lot tighter than with some TT's.
But, regardless of the hitch, you need to be wary of these modern tall trucks and the pinbox hitting the side rails.
Grand Design confirmed last year that Lippert approved of the Anderson hitch. But then they retracted that statement and don't talk about any hitch recommendations I guess. Lippert does approve of the Reese Goosebox.

I sure haven't heard many complaints from Anderson Hitch owners.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states it is against the law for a manufacturer to void a warranty based on use of 3rd-party products. RV's are full of 3rd party products. If you received a written warranty, you are covered. If you did not receive a written warranty, or bought your RV before 1975 you are screwed.

Again, not many complains from Anderson users. Lots of dislikes from non users though.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #8

Can you tell I'm kind of green..... :o)

Thanks for the replies and great info everyone....I'm just trying to make educated decisions and get the most for my money. My 2500 Silverado is a crew cab, if that matters, and has a standard bed, 6'7" (79"). I've been told by other campers that a standard hitch will be fine and no need to get one of the "slider" type of hitches.....true??? And yes, my truck does seem to be kind of tall. Any way I can measure or some how know this will be a problem?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #9

Can you tell I'm kind of green..... :o)

Thanks for the replies and great info everyone....I'm just trying to make educated decisions and get the most for my money. My 2500 Silverado is a crew cab, if that matters, and has a standard bed, 6'7" (79"). I've been told by other campers that a standard hitch will be fine and no need to get one of the "slider" type of hitches.....true??? And yes, my truck does seem to be kind of tall. Any way I can measure or some how know this will be a problem?