Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #15

Blue Ox
makes two different designs of bed savers. As to a 5er tail-gate, I have never owned one, and unless I hitch/unhitch more than once a day I might buy one. I'm retired though and stopped rushing through life.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #16
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Blue Ox
makes two different designs of bed savers. As to a 5er tail-gate, I have never owned one, and unless I hitch/unhitch more than once a day I might buy one. I'm retired though and stopped rushing through life.
I assume you are saying the second type of Bed Saver is the pin lock. Looking at their application guide, it's only applicable to a few hitches and to me is a design that is not really 'person' safe to use as far as hitch/unhitch.

My Bed Saver is currently residing under my work bench and will probably only be used for extended trips even after "testing" it once while unhitching. It is a great product for those that occasional bouts of CRS or senior moments.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #17

Everyone has his own level of concern about hitchup routine--the test pull seems to me to be the best safety device to be sure the hitch jaws area around the pin and locked closed. I do it every hitchup.
Now, having said all that, after 5 years had my first incident--was hitching up to leave CG and backing into the pin when WHAM. Looked back, trailer was sitting on the bed--not good. What happened, is the hitch closed as I was backing up and hit the pin, pushing the trailer backwards. BUT, legs were still down and they caught the trailer just as it contacted the bed rail covers. No damage. Autopsy: chocks had loosened allowing the trailer to move, or I would have just bounced off the pin and stopped the truck.
So now I have to devise a way to keep the jaws lever open (Companion hitch, normally it stays where I put it) when backing into the pin box, and check chocks for tightness at least once after setting up and tires are cool.
Normal comp insurance will cover this type of damage, but preventing it is much preferable to fixing it.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I assume you are saying the second type of Bed Saver is the pin lock. Looking at their application guide, it's only applicable to a few hitches and to me is a design that is not really 'person' safe to use as far as hitch/unhitch.

My Bed Saver is currently residing under my work bench and will probably only be used for extended trips even after "testing" it once while unhitching. It is a great product for those that occasional bouts of CRS or senior moments.
I don't believe I commented on either type. You must have me confused with anothers reply.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
Commercial Member

just thought I would chime in. I had it happen to me where my hitch came unhooked and caused about $ 8000.00 dollars of damage. This happen in my yard moving the camper about 5' to access the back and had a brain cramp I forgot to flip the lock tab and put my pad lock in. When i pulled tested it, it stayed hooked and then I pulled up about two feet and stopped and then pulled up again and that's when it let go. I did check out my hitch and found a broken spring, but if I would of known of this devise ( the bed saver ) It would of save me $$$$ and embarrassment. I'm looking to install one soon. Rebuilt hitch and will never do this again, but will not take the chance.Checked on prices in my area and they want $ 384.00 installed. Not sure if you can order streight from th factory ( Blue Ox )
Old 07-24-2011, 01:35 AM   #20

Bed Saver

Based on some of replies not sure everybody understands what they do. I have personally seen someone drop their rig and do thousands of dollars damage to their truck. I have been RVing for 10 years. After I saw that I purchased one myself and a year later actually dropped mine and no damage was done. I am very particular and us a Pullrite Super Hitch which locks around the pin when backing in. I heard the click and saw the bar move but what I didn't realize was it did not completely lock, thus when I went to move forward the rig came loose and droped into the Bed Saver. It only takes once but that once can cost you a fortune. The Bed Saver is around $200.00. Hopefully I will never have to rely on it again as I now go back and make sure it is completely close but also at least hang my lock in their so it can't open.

2001 Ford F250 7.3 Supercab PSD
CWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
IC2

In a campground just this morning saw a bashed GMC pickup box with some corresponding 5er damage - no Bedsaver.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #22

I read more about the Blue Ox bedsaver tonight. Read page 2 of the installation manual for the Reese 20K, model 30081. It states it is a one-time use item, drop pin weight on it one time and it must be replaced. Lets see, $6-8k damage to truck and 5er, vs $200 for bedsaver, that's sure a no-brainer. Problem for me, they do not make one for my model Reese hitch.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #23
IC2

Quote:
I read more about the Blue Ox bedsaver tonight. Read page 2 of the installation manual for the Reese 20K, model 30081. It states it is a one-time use item, drop pin weight on it one time and it must be replaced. Lets see, $6-8k damage to truck and 5er, vs $200 for bedsaver, that's sure a no-brainer. Problem for me, they do not make one for my model Reese hitch.
Ray - give them a call. An acquaintance had the same problem. I have forgotten the details, but they were able to make one for his hitch at the normal price.

My particular hitch, pin weight does not damage it beyond paint scratches.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #24

Quote:
They do make for majority of 5th Wheels, if yours is a little older they might not have one in that case.