Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #1

Best 20k 5th wheel hitch

I am needing a 20,000 LB fifth wheel hitch and looking for advice to best on the market.

I glanced at a Hensley TS3 with air bags. Anybody have experience with that one?
Captkenrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
It would really help if you would detail your specific requirements. For instance:

1. Are you running a short-bed tow vehicle that would require a sliding 5th wheel hitch, or will a fixed position hitch suffice?

2. It appears you're wanting an air-ride hitch, right?

3. Do you have a fixed, air-ride or fore/aft motion compensating (e.g., Mor-Ryde or Glide Rite) pinbox extension on the 5th wheel?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
It would really help if you would detail your specific requirements. For instance:

1. Are you running a short-bed tow vehicle that would require a sliding 5th wheel hitch, or will a fixed position hitch suffice?

3. Do you have a fixed, air-ride or fore/aft motion compensating (e.g., Mor-Ryde or Glide Rite) pinbox extension on the 5th wheel?

Rusty
1. I am ordering a RAM 3500 longbox crewcab with MaxTow package so fixed is fine.

2. I am wanting the best hitch I can get both for ride and ease of use. I plan to have airbags installed with suspension and in cab control.

3. My 5th wheel is a 38' King of the Road with Mor-Ryde fore and aft on the pin and Mor-Ryde electric over hydraulic brakes on three axles. Trailer gross is 18,000.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC

Rusty
Rusty, I did as you asked and then you ignored my questions. What give?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Well, frankly, I haven't responded because I'm not an air hitch user. I was trying to get enough information on the thread for the users of such a hitch to respond.

Personally, I use a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch in conjunction with the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch - see HERE. This setup is rated for 18K 5th wheel, 30K gooseneck and yields a clean bed floor when neither hitch is in use. It's a bolt-in for the Dodge (see my signature) and quite durable - when I bought the 2011, I installed a new Turnoverball gooseneck hitch but am still using the Companion 5th wheel hitch that I bought in 2001 for use in my 2002 Ram 3500 dually.

The Companion 5th wheel hitch has both fore-and-aft and side-to-side articulation, has an excellent kingpin locking system and is used by quite a few individuals, but it is NOT an air ride hitch. However, since you already have the Demco Glide-rite pinbox extension (as do I), IMHO an air ride hitch is not a must-have with your truck. If you want an air ride hitch, by all means get one, but the B&W Companion with the Glide-rite pinbox extension provides excellent towing performance.

Maybe some air ride hitch users will chime in now that this thread has been bumped to the top.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you are getting one of the new MorRyde pin boxes that cushions as well as reducing chucking, I see no reason to get an air hitch.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote