Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

Best 5th Wheel Hitch???

I'll be pulling a 39' 5th wheel weighing about 16,000 lbs. Considering safety, ease of ride, cost, etc, what hitches should I consider and why?

Considering what we paid for the 5th wheel and how much we anticipate spending on a truck, I don't want to scrimp on a good hitch.

We are full timing near Fort Worth (for now).

Thanks very much!

Gary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcakia View Post
I'll be pulling a 39' 5th wheel weighing about 16,000 lbs. Considering safety, ease of ride, cost, etc, what hitches should I consider and why?
What is the GVWR of the trailer?

If it's less than 18,000 pounds, then the best 5er hitch for a pickup with an 8' bed is the Reese Elite. If you order a new 2013 Ford SuperDuty pickup, be sure you order the optional fifth-wheel/gooseneck prep pkg. The prep pkg is the "install kit" or under-bed bedrails for the Reese Elite hitch. The actual hitch is also an option from Ford. You can order the 18k hitch for an SRW longbed pickup, or the 25k hitch for a dually.

If your trailer has a GVWR of more than 18,000 pounds, then you want a dually to tow it with. The Ford fifth-wheel/gooseneck prep pkg on a dually is rated for the Reese Elite 25k hitch.

If you order the prep pkg, be sure you also order the hitch from the factory. It's less expensive if you pay invoice cost from Ford than if you pay a discounted price from a Reese dealer.

They make the Reese Elite to fit GM and Dodge 3500 pickups too. So if you choose something besides a Ford, you can still get the Reese Elite 5er hitch.

Fifth Wheels - Reese = 2013 Chevy 3500

Fifth Wheels - Reese = 2012 Dodge 3500

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #3

I have the B&W Companion Hitch (18K) and it has worked just fine. It is easy to remove and leaves no rails. But it requires the Turnover Ball underframe hitch to work. About $1200 for both parts.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #4

I just ordered theTrailerSaver BD3 18K. It has air ride and shocks to help eliminate the chucking effect from towing a 5er. I searched alot of forums before I made my decission.
Cheers
Bob
Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Bob -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPerry View Post
I just ordered theTrailerSaver BD3 18K. It has air ride and shocks to help eliminate the chucking effect from towing a 5er. I searched alot of forums before I made my decission.
Cheers
Bob
Hensley makes great products. And the BD3 is made to fit into the Ford prep pkg. So I'll bet you will really like that hitch - (after you recover from sticker shock!).
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #6

You have learned something from reading these responses. There are many good hitches. There is no "best" hitch. You need to determine what your individual needs are. Do you want to keep a clean truck bed when the hitch is not in use, or can you tolerate having rails?

Joel
J Birder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #7

I'm having the Reese Elite 18k with slider and undermount rails installed in my Chevy tomorrow. My new 5er GWVR is 14k so it should be plenty of hitch.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
You have learned something from reading these responses. There are many good hitches. There is no "best" hitch. You need to determine what your individual needs are. Do you want to keep a clean truck bed when the hitch is not in use, or can you tolerate having rails?

Joel
Excellent point. Kind'a like asking which is the best truck. Everyone has their favorite.

I would look at the Reese/Pullrite/B-W/Curt/Husky and for a flat bed truck the Holland-Binkley.

Lots of good 5th wheel hitches out here with air ride or clean bed design and GN conversion if needed. Let google work for you.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #9

Depending on how you feel about moving our manufacturing industry out of the country, you might want to buy a Curt or B&W Hitch, instead of any hitch brands made by Cequent /TriMas if they move production to Mexico.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #10

If your budget allows I would look at an air hitch. Trailer Saver and Air Safe both have adapters for the Ford hitch system. I have had my Air Safe with the Binkley head for over five years with no problems. It's quite a site to look in the rear view mirror and see the fiver "floating" with little or no effect on the TV.

Chuck
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Curt all the way
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #12

Purchased and Installed!

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I had a Reese Elite installed and our first trip is scheduled for New Years weekend!