Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #1

Best Place in the USA to Buy a Used 1 Ton DRW

We live in the Northeast and due to weather conditions used vehicles are typically plagued with rust. We are looking for a 2006 or newer diesel, crew cab, one ton DRW tow vehicle. I have no brand loyalty I just want the best possible vehicle for $25000 or less. Since I know I will have to travel outside the area for a rust free vehicle no distance is too far. I would appreciate any and all recommendations.

Thanks, John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Commercial Member

AZ or NV are not a bad place to look, no rust here. Phoenix CraigsList has several trucks that meet your specifications or are close. I'm not going to say anything about preference for brand or model. I've driven at least one truck similar to each of these listings, in the last year and they were all good. I ended up buying a new 2013 F350 4X4 Crew Cab long bed loaded with options including 14K GVWR package.

Fords:

2006 F350 Crew Cab Dually - 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel

2006 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Dually DRW Crew Cab No Salesmen -- All In

RAM:

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 2WD Quad Cab 160.5" DRW ST

Las Vegas is also a possibility:

Fords:

2003 Ford F350 Super duty dually 4x4 diesel

**2006 Ford Super Duty F350 - DUALLY - King Ranch - 4X4 - CREW CAB **FINANCING**

(that's a nice truck for 25)

RAM:

**2006 Dodge Ram 3500 - SLT - 4X4 - DUALLY - CUMMINGS TURBO DIESEL **FINANCING**

GMC:

2003 gmc sierra dually

low price for 77K mi. (2003 model)

06 Sierra GMC Dually Duramax.

Chev:

2008 Chevy 3500 Duramax Ltz Dually Crew Cab 4x4 ...168,000 miles

Erich

Old 04-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4 litres F350. The Navistar engines were problematic. We had an 2005 6.0 litre and fortunetly we bought a ford extended warranty which probably cause ford 10k in only 4 years. Two Turbos, Inter cooler, high pressure oil pump and front bearings. We know bought a 2011 6.7 F350 which we love
Old 04-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

As to where, go where the most one ton duallys are sold - Texas. To dodge the weather related problems, go to west Texas - between Fort Worth and El Paso. Shop around the large metro areas and you'll some find trucks owned by city dudes that used them only for RV towing. Go with the high-end trim packages such as Lariat or King Ranch on a Ford and you'll not have to worry about getting a fleet special that has been beat to death by careless employees.

Anywhere in the desert SouthWest, along the southern border between Dallas and Los Angeles should have at least a few prime trucks that meet your needs. Fly into one of the bigger cities such as Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso or Midland/Odessa if you want a good choice.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #5

I agree with previous post Texas is the place to go.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Definitely agree Texas is a good place to buy a 350 dully. Check out Craigslist Houston. Ask only for dealer listings.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Houston is not a good choice. Salt water from the Gulf of Mexico goes right up to near downtown at high tide. So salt is in the air. Plus it rains all the time. Very humid. I wouldn't get any nearer to the Gulf than Austin or San Antonio if you want a rust-free dually.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Houston is not a good choice. Salt water from the Gulf of Mexico goes right up to near downtown at high tide. So salt is in the air. Plus it rains all the time. Very humid. I wouldn't get any nearer to the Gulf than Austin or San Antonio if you want a rust-free dually.
Completely disagree. I live in Houston, south of Houston to be exact, and you rarely see car rust except on old POS's.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtk View Post
Completely disagree. I live in Houston, south of Houston to be exact, and you rarely see car rust except on old POS's.
Agree totally
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

Have a look at Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID. Very large dealer with a lot of ranch and RV business. May or may not have what you want on any given day but a place to start. They also have a complete line of aftermarket if you need any.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #11

just be prepared for much higher mileages than you see on the east coast. 25k per year is not uncommon.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #12

Thank for all the info. Since we will be full-timing our TV is very important. The 5th wheel is important to my wife and kids but TV reliability and dependability are important to me. I don't really want a brand debate but what should I avoid? What should I look for?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhuff8181 View Post
Thank for all the info. Since we will be full-timing our TV is very important. The 5th wheel is important to my wife and kids but TV reliability and dependability are important to me. I don't really want a brand debate but what should I avoid? What should I look for?
Sort of thinking 2012 or newer, but it depends a bit on the brand.

You definitely want a variable vane turbo, also called an exhaust brake. It needs to be tied to the tow/haul and cruise control so that descents on hills are controlled. You want a 5 or 6 speed auto where you can manually determine the gear, again for controlled descent. Remember, gravity is not your friend. You want all the torque you can get, usually around 800lbs.

A dually gives the absolute best trailer control, but you don't use parking garages and usually have to walk from the far end of the lot at the mall, and they just plain scare some folks. Still, you can't have too much truck and some feel a dually by Volvo or Kenworth or others is better.

Pay attention to simple physics. The object with the most mass is in control. If you truck weighs 9,000 and the trailer weighs 12,000...... OK, there is about 3,000 lbs of tongue or hitch weight on the truck, so on the wheels the truck weighs 9,000, plus 3,000 from the trailer, plus you and the family and cargo. Call it 13,000lbs. The trailer on the wheels weighs 12,000. I know there are a lot of folks who ignore this, just wanted to mention it.

For full time, consider a Mor-Ryde IS suspension, hydraulic brakes and 17.5" wheels and rims for the RV. As a guess it would add $7,000 to your cost.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #14

I can't argue with TX, but here in-and-around Atlanta there are LOTS that are in great shape and it's half the distance. Also flights from NY/Boston/D.C. to Atlanta are quick and easy.

Keep in mind that unless you are buying from a private party (no financing) the dealers and used car lots and especially Carmax move vehicles all over the country every day, so just because it's there now does not mean anything. You need to search the VIN# history to see where it's been registered.

With that said, Carmax will transfer most any vehicle to any of their locations for a small fee, which is cheaper than flying and driving back.

I just don't think you are going to find a good, clean, diesel DRW for $25k unless it's got 200k miles and needs some TLC.