Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #1

Best place to buy

Will probably be buying a Ram 5500 or F450 chassis cab and having a hauler bed installed.

First, for those who already have one of these, since these have the derated engines; do they have sufficient power getting you up and down hills pulling a heavy (potentially 24k) fiver.

We full time so I can buy pretty much anywhere, are there dealers out there that were particularly good to deal with....price, service, etc. Other side of the coin, any dealers to avoid like the plague and why.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Weve used both to haul weights just a little over what youre looking at. If youre on flat ground theyre just ok. I use them alot in the mountains and i get really tired of 30mph on a slight uphill on the highway. I flat out hate these trucks in the hills. If youre looking at these size trucks just take a day and look at the baby kennies and fls.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #3

Oh, and only ram commercial dealers can service the dodges. Thats been a problem in western pa. There are more paccar and international dealers. You would be way better off with something like a 4700 series international with a dt466 or 300 series kennie. These trucks are not adequate for pulling these kinds of loads up hills. I just watched a ram 5500 hit 260 degrees on a hill in 1st gear the whole way up. The trans smelled like burnt brakes.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:32 AM   #4

Motorhomes use the lower powered 6.7 and get up hills just fine, though maybe a little slower than some would like. I had a Tiffin Red that when pulling a crewcab pickup was approaching 40k lbs and it was sufficient but slower than i liked so i traded it for bigger power. I had a F450 work truck that was derated and hauled a gooseneck trlr carrying steel and it was sufficient as well and a few times was in the 35k lb total load. As for dlr’s try Dennis Dillon in Nampa Idaho.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #5

I don't think it matters so much where you buy it. Wherever you get the best deal would be my answer. However, doing your diligence on where you choose to have it serviced would be time very well spent.

I have a '17 F450, but haven't towed over 17k lbs with it. I don't think it is derated. I know the F550 is derated and available in a chassis cab.

Not out of experience, but from my own pre-purchase research. When you get up to those weights, and you plan to cover some distances, you owe it to yourself to look at heavy haulers. A singled out semi should seldom break a sweat in the mountains with a big 5er. However, if you also want to use the truck as a daily driver, it could be a bit cumbersome.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygge View Post
Will probably be buying a Ram 5500 or F450 chassis cab and having a hauler bed installed.
Why a class 5 Ram but a class 4 Ford? Ford makes class 5 chassis cabs too. F-550. An F-550 looks just like an F-450 chassis cab, but with more payload capacity.

Here’s an F-550 I built on Ford.com

Model
$48,085 2019 Ford F-550 Chassis Cab LARIAT Crew Cab®, 179” Wheelbase, 6.7L 4 Valve OHV Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel B20 Engine, 6 Speed Automatic with SelectShift® Transmission (6R140), 4X2, 4.88 Limited Slip Axle, DRW

Powertrain
6.7L 4 Valve OHV Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel B20 Engine with Manual Push-button Engine-Exhaust Braking
4X2 (4x4 available for more money)
TorqShift® 6-speed SelectShift® Automatic Transmission (Diesel Engine)
Crew Cab®
4.88 Limited Slip Axle
Packages
+$1,155 Payload Plus Upgrade Package

Lots of other options available, but this is the basic truck with Lariat (leather) trim and the 4.88 axle you want for serious towing in hills and mountains. A Class 5 Peterbilt may give you more stares, but will cost more and won’t pull a heavy trailer any better than the properly-equipped F-550. The 4.88 axle is the key. It's not available in the F-450 so you have to move up to the F-550 to get it.

If you order a chassis cab truck from a Ford dealer, you can also order the hauler bed from any ship-thu upfitter at the same time. Then Ford will build the truck and ship it to the upfitter. The upfitter will add the bed (and any other upfitter options you choose) then ship the completed truck to the dealer at no extra delivery charge. For example, here’s the Western Hauler bed:
https://www.westernhauler.com/fordoptions.html

And IIRC, you can also order the truck and bed direct from Western Hauler instead from a Ford dealer. So maybe negotiate with Western Hauler as well as your favorite Ford dealer to get the best out-the-door price for the complete package.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

Lots of other options available, but this is the basic truck with Lariat (leather) trim and the 4.88 axle you want for serious towing in hills and mountains. A Class 5 Peterbilt may give you more stares, but will cost more and won’t pull a heavy trailer any better than the properly-equipped F-550. The 4.88 axle is the key. It's not available in the F-450 so you have to move up to the F-550 to get it.
I was thinking something the size of an international 4700 or kenworth t300. The 450s and 550s arent worth having. Ive used that class truck alot pulling very similar loads. They dont cut it in the hills.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:32 AM   #8

If I wanted to look at a bunch of dually trucks, both LTD and MDT's I would go to the Columbus Ohio Quarter Horse Congress that runs this year from Oct. 4th thru Oct 27th.

By Oct you might be looking at all new redesigned more capable 2020 models from Ram, Chevy and Ford...cool.

I have been to this show 3 times. Each time I have been there I would guess they have 50 or more dually trucks from Ford, Chevy and Ram. The 350/3500 duallies are the smaller trucks you will see.

You will see lots of cab chassis 450/550 4500/5500 trucks.

But you will also see a few MDT's like the F-650 the Freightliner M2 Sports Chassis and a few other MDT's.

Back in 2012, I was living/working in Columbus Ohio and bought a new F-450 King Ranch from Richart Ford. On the windshield there was a QH. That means the truck was at the Quarter Horse Congress. Richart Ford advertises as being a big Ford Dealer. They have their own Diesel Shop in a separate building from the dealership. I would buy from them again and take my truck there if it needed work. So I think Richart Ford is a good place to buy a truck.

Oh, worth mentioning about 1/3 of the trucks will be 'Cowboy'ed up'. Meaning King Ranch from Ford and maybe a few horse stickers on others. After all, you will be around horse people.

The coolest truck there IMHO will be the Freightliner M2 Crew Cab Sport Chassis. 2 steps to get into a dually and 3 steps to get into the M2 Sports Chassis. Followed by the F-650.

Also it can either be kinda nice in October in Columbus Ohio or chilly and rainy, or windy and cold. I went one time it was 35 degrees and windy. One other time 70 degrees, no wind and sunny and one time overcast with a drizzle, misty rain.

It was $10 to park and free admission to the show. Plan on walking a lot as it is spread out.

At one time I was thinking about buying a 4 horse slant trailer with living quarters and converting the horse stalls to living space. It was because these horse trailers are all goose neck rock solid units. As a matter of fact it would be worthwhile to spend a few days there, 2 days looking at trucks a 1 day looking at the nice horse trailers with living quarters. You will see some really nice and expensive trailers.

About 15 to 20 miles north of the Franklin County Fairgounds where the QH Congress takes place is Alum Creek State Park (which might be closed for the season) and Cross Creek RV Park for places to stay.

If you go you will need to try Skyline Chilli. It is a Cincinnati style chilli sauce over spaghetti noodles.

Towing with a de-tuned truck....humm. My 2012 F-450 would now be considered de-tuned I would guess with only 400HP and 800ft lbs. of torque. I was only towing 16,000lbs thru the mountains of Pa. from Pittsburgh east to the Johnstown area on route 22. One big mountain where elevation gain was 1,200 feet was a non-event as I could easily maintain 65mph in 4th gear.

To tow 24,000lbs with 5,000lbs of pin weight humm...that points to a cab chassis for the extra weight carrying ability.

The problem you will have with the current 6 speed transmission is driving the truck solo. My F-450 with 4:30 gears and 6 speed did not like to go over 70mph. I would wait for the 10 speed in the 2020 models for the improved solo driving.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #9

An M2 or similar is certainly an interesting possibility, this will be our daily driver though and it doesn’t seem like this would be too convenient. We also have two large dogs, they can jump into a “regular sized” pick up; I’m not sure how they would get into one of these taller units. Back issues mean I can’t lift me anymore, they’re around 70 and 100#’s.

Wish there was an option on the chassis cabs to have a “full power” engine. Ram is at 1k torque and 400hp, Ford numbers will be similar, however the chassis cabs with higher payloads are only +/- 800 and 360....fine around town I guess but that reduction will make a difference I would think.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #10

truck HP and torque mean nothing if not geared correctly. if a 450 or 550 dont have atleast 488 rear gear it will be a pig. 513 or 538 are even better. Torque and torque multipliers in the trans and rear end climb mountains. Geared low to climb it wont be speedy on its own. But its a work horse not designed to go fast its designed to haul loads. besides whats the rush in an RV your on a vacation or long trip anyway.

Slow down gear down and Pull
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

The difference is the tune. You might be able to talk the dealer into flashing the ecm to the higher rating as part of the deal.

Other things like a suspension seat, air ride cabs, air suspension are also things that you gain going with the bigger trucks. The eaton 6 speed that comes in most of those trucks is super easy to use but i have no experience with autos in bigger trucks. The 4700 intl was more comparable to a pickup than a big truck as far as driving it. Theyre not for everyone, but hauling that much, i think theyd be worth a trip to a dealer to check out for a few hrs and get a test drive in. Something in that range with an 8 or 9l motor would do pretty well i think.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #12

Howdy!

We have towed with MDT for the last 12 years of fulltiming. Our previous 5er was over 20,000lbs. Our toy hauler we have now comes in at 18,000lbs. We started with a 5500 Chevorlet Kodiak Custom Hauler and then a 4400 International 2L Custom Hauler. My lovely wife decided she wanted a new truck and we decided to downsize from a larger MDT. We looked at the big three Dodge, Ford and Chevorlet. Talked to a few custom builders like Western Hauler, 2L Custom Trucks etc... They all agreed that most of the trucks they are building now are not truck chassis because they are detuned. They prefer the trucks with beds because they are not detuned and come equipped with more options. They remove the beds and then customize it. I wanted a new F450 platinum custom hauler from Western Hauler but was advised that even if I had the truck it would be 18 plus weeks before they could started on it. 2L Customs Trucks in Poolville, Texas made me and offer I couldn’t refuse. They had new in stock 2018 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado LTZ. They released the pickup bed and then customize the truck with Hauler bed, air ride systems, bumper etc... My drive our price was considerable less than what it would have cost me just to purchase a new F450 pickup truck before customizing. 2L Custom Trucks does other tucks but we are very pleased will what we purchased. We also purchased our 4400 International from them before this one.
I beleive the weight your are wanting to tow though as mentioned I would look at the new 2020 trucks coming out. The new Dodges and Chevorlet are boosting of great things regarding power and tow ratings and I not talking about the new Chevrolet MDT’s.

https://www.2lcustomtrucks.com/

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

We have towed with MDT for the last 12 years of fulltiming. Our previous 5er was over 20,000lbs. Our toy hauler we have now comes in at 18,000lbs. We started with a 5500 Chevorlet Kodiak Custom Hauler and then a 4400 International 2L Custom Hauler. My lovely wife decided she wanted a new truck and we decided to downsize from a larger MDT. We looked at the big three Dodge, Ford and Chevorlet. Talked to a few custom builders like Western Hauler, 2L Custom Trucks etc... They all agreed that most of the trucks they are building now are not truck chassis because they are detuned. They prefer the trucks with beds because they are not detuned and come equipped with more options. They remove the beds and then customize it. I wanted a new F450 platinum custom hauler from Western Hauler but was advised that even if I had the truck it would be 18 plus weeks before they could started on it. 2L Customs Trucks in Poolville, Texas made me and offer I couldn’t refuse. They had new in stock 2018 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado LTZ. They released the pickup bed and then customize the truck with Hauler bed, air ride systems, bumper etc... My drive our price was considerable less than what it would have cost me just to purchase a new F450 pickup truck before customizing. 2L Custom Trucks does other tucks but we are very pleased will what we purchased. We also purchased our 4400 International from them before this one.
I beleive the weight your are wanting to tow though as mentioned I would look at the new 2020 trucks coming out. The new Dodges and Chevorlet are boosting of great things regarding power and tow ratings and I not talking about the new Chevrolet MDT’s.

https://www.2lcustomtrucks.com/

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
I would definitely do something like this but....the whole reason for looking at the others (5500/550/etc) is that the 3500’s and 450’s don’t have sufficient payload capacity. If I’m going to make a mistake, it’s going to be on the side of too much truck not too little.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #14

It is never a mistake to have too much truck.

Well, maybe. At one time I had a 5th wheel, a 25' travel trailer and a 16' little runabout boat. I only had one truck to tow all of these toys, a F-450.

The total weight of the 16' runabout boat, motor and trailer was around 2,700lbs. It did look small behind the F-450.

But even worse, I traded the boat for a Seadoo and had to tow the Seadoo with the F-450. The Seadoo on a trailer weighs 1,200 lbs.

Now that was too much truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace