Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Best SUV for Towing 3500GVW TT?

We have a 2007 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 liter V6 and tow package. The Exp has over 100K miles and has been well cared for. Two months ago we traded our popup for a 20' TT and love it! The TT is 2753 dry but with added food, gear, equipment, etc. we know it's well over the GVW the Exp is rated to tow. Of course we learned this after purchasing the TT. So we are aware it's just a matter of time before we'll have to upgrade the TV.

In the meantime, we baby it by keeping the speed no more than 60mph and keeping the tires inflated properly (both TV and TT). Since we're retired and are a one-vehicle household we want to continue with an SUV that will meet our overall needs.

Any suggestions, recommendations, or experiences you'd like to share are welcome!
nancyanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So you want an SUV that can tow a 3,500 pound TT without exceeding any of the weight limits of the SUV?

The problem with any SUV is that they can either tow a decent-size trailer, or they can haul a normal load of people and stuff, but not both at the same time without being overloaded.

Way back when. GM made a Suburban 2500 that could do both, but they stopped production of the 2500 a few years ago. And before that, Ford made the Excursion SUV that was a workhorse of a towing machine. But the last Excursion was produced over 10 years ago. So there's nothing in an SUV that's really suitable today.

Consider a CrewCab pickup with a camper shell on it. If you plan way ahead, you can order a half-ton pickup that will fit your needs to a "T". The F-150 offers a heavy duty payload package (HDPP) that will allow you to tow a travel trailer (TT) a lot heavier than 3,500 pounds. But dealers don't stock them, so that's why you must plan ahead and order yours.

Example: F-150 SuperCrew with the HDPP. For a 2015 model, it required the 3.5L EcoBoost drivetrain, 3.73 electronic locking axle, and Maximum Trailer Tow pkg. Result was GVWR of 7,850 and GCWR over 17,000 pounds, and tow rating over 11,000 pounds. The GVWR is the critical weight rating you need. 7,850 GVWR resuits in enough payload capacity for you to tow just about any TT you desire without being overloaded. With the tow rating over 11,000 pounds, you can pull any TT that weighs less than about 9,000 pounds over the Rockies with no problem.

My older F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew has a Leer camper shell that makes the bed weather proof. So it's similar to the usefulness of the way-back area of an SUV, except you can't crawl back there from inside the vehicle.

If you prefer to not order and then have to wait two or three months for it to show up. then don't consider a half-ton pickup. Instead, go for a three-quarter-ton (F-250) or even a one-ton with single rear wheels (F-350 SRW). In a Ford, you can get a CrewCab with your choice of trim from work truck XL thru leather-wrapped Lariat and fancier King Ranch to luxurious Platinum Edition, And you don't have to order for one and wait for it. Dealers have a bunch of them in stock waiting for you to make up your mind.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
So there's nothing in an SUV that's really suitable today.
Granted, that's overstated if you promise to never upgrade your trailer to a heavier trailer. The Explorer is now a FWD car-based "crossover" SUV, and is no longer based on a pickup chassis, so the overstated tow rating is only 5,000 pounds. A 3,500 pound trailer would max out the towing capability of the new Explorers.

But the Expedition (and Lincoln Navigator) is still based on the F-150 pickup chassis, and by careful ordering you can get one with 14,900 GCWR and over 9,000 pounds tow rating. You still cannot tow a travel trailer that grosses 8,000 pounds without exceeding the payload capacity of a normally-loaded SUV, but you can probably tow a TT that weighs up to around 6,500 to 7,000 pounds without being overloaded.

That Expedition must have the 3.5L EcoBoost engine and the optional heavy duty towing package. Don't even think about buying one off the lot unless it has the heavy duty towing package. The 3.5L EcoBoost engine is now standard on all new Expeditions, and the heavy duty towing package is included in all trim packages above the base XLT trim, so you shouldn't have any problem finding a new one in stock that will do the job. But if you want to keep the price down by getting the least expensive trim level, then be certain it includes the optional heavy duty tow package.

And if you look for a used Expedition or Navigator, then be sure it has both the EcoBoost engine and the heavy duty towing package.

(My F-150 has the 3.5L EcoBoost engine. It now has 60,000 mostly-towing miles on it and it's a marvelous little towing machine.)

Per Ford.com:
The Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package is standard on Expedition Limited, King Ranch® and Platinum, and available on XLT.

Includes:

• Class IV Trailer Hitch receiver
• Wiring harness w/4 & 7 pin connector
• Heavy-duty auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Heavy-duty radiator
• Electronic braking wiring kit
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #4

Coastal Campers
You might want to look at full size vans. Late model 3/4 and one ton passenger vans and conversion vans are quite reasonable, and tow great with plenty of capacity. I have used a series of vans as daily drivers since 1984. Although they look boxy, they are really no bigger than a standard pickup, and in my opinion drive with a better view of the highway ahead, and easier to park due to the short front and back overhang. Now if you need to drive to a city often, all bets are off.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are looking for a used vehicle the older Expeditions will also work. I have an '05 that is rated for 8600 with the factory tow package.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliWali View Post
You might want to look at full size vans. Late model 3/4 and one ton passenger vans and conversion vans are quite reasonable, and tow great with plenty of capacity. I have used a series of vans as daily drivers since 1984. Although they look boxy, they are really no bigger than a standard pickup, and in my opinion drive with a better view of the highway ahead, and easier to park due to the short front and back overhang. Now if you need to drive to a city often, all bets are off.
We do want a TV that will fit in our garage and it looks like an Expedition would make it fine. I think a van would be too big, plus as our sole vehicle we just don't need that much interior space.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyanddan View Post
We do want a TV that will fit in our garage and it looks like an Expedition would make it fine.
Expedition comes in two lengths, regular and EL. The EL has a bit more room, so if your garage is at least 20' deep, then you can close the door on an EL. But some garages are only 18', and the EL at 220.8" long won't let you close the garage door.

GM has similar lengths in their full-size SUVs. Suburban is the long jobbie and Tahoe is the shorty. But GM doesn't have an engine that competes with the Ford 3.5L EcoBoost engine.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #8

We were also wondering if a V8 Explorer with the heavy duty tow package would do the trick. I know they're out there but after searching the web I sure can't find any. Also, if we want the truck suspension that means a 2010; I believe that's the last year the Explorers had this feature.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would not tow that with an Explorer. I used to tow 3500 pounds with one of that vintage and it got pushed around a good bit by the trailer. Tail wagging the dog as the wheelbase was just too short.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #10

The best towing vehicle I've owned was a later model, 2007+ Acura MDX
Lower profile tires, sport suspension, low centre of gravity. Towed over 12000 miles over 2 years
4200 lb Jayco Jay feather x20E
Best towing combination I've owned. Towed much better then the new truck I traded. I actually preferred towing with the MDX over the new truck
Campingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #11

Mercedes GL series.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I bought a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow my new Flagstaff 21 FBRS. The Flagstaff weighs 3908 "Empty", and can be loaded up with about 1200 lbs of stuff. Since my Jeep is a V6, I only have a 6200 lb tow rating. Had I gotten the diesel or V8, it would have been 7400.

It's just my wife, me and a small dog, so the load isn't too big. On the only trip I've had a chance at so far, I hit the CAT scales at 10,180 lbs loaded up for a week in the mountains. Jeep doesn't publish a combined weight rating, but the research I've done gives "estimates" of about 11,200.

The Jeep is only a little bigger than a new Explorer, and a lot smaller than an Expedition. It fits my garage easily.

The performance of the V6 towing from Phoenix up to Flagsaff was quite good. Taking a 6% 6 to 8 mile grade at 55 to 60 was easy. I got 11 mpg for the round trip, which is OK.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I would not tow that with an Explorer. I used to tow 3500 pounds with one of that vintage and it got pushed around a good bit by the trailer. Tail wagging the dog as the wheelbase was just too short.
We have a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar on the Explorer and as yet have had no issues towing. Aside from short trips around Southern California this one has been all the way up the West Coast and onto Vancouver Island. The engine doesn't seem to be straining but we're taking it easy. I think we'll know better once we return home about how much life expectancy is left in the Explorer. I'm still leaning toward an Expedition once we upgrade though Dan prefers to go with a V8 Explorer, around 2010 vintage. Hopefully we'll have plenty of time to do the research and find a good vehicle for our needs.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyanddan View Post
We were also wondering if a V8 Explorer with the heavy duty tow package would do the trick. I know they're out there but after searching the web I sure can't find any. Also, if we want the truck suspension that means a 2010; I believe that's the last year the Explorers had this feature.
The V8 engine in 2003 thru 2010 Explorers was the weakling 4.6L - not the 5.0L as in earlier years nor the modern 5.0L in the 2011-up F-150. I had a 2003 F-150 with that 4.6L engine and 3.55 axle ratio, and it was a dog. Beautiful dark blue Lariat SuperCrew, but made for hauling butt, not towing a trailer. Even trying to tow an empty enclosed cargo trailer that grossed about 2,000 pounds, the 4.6L was not satisfactory because of aerodynamic drag of the trailer. After one trip to Phoenix and back, I got rid of that dog.

Tags
tow, towing