Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer-1 View Post
... Now all I have to do is find one that doesn't have a million miles on it and costing $50,000!
Make friends with a local used car/truck salesman, that's what we did when we were shopping for a truck for our previous 5-r. I had researched the 3 major brands (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) & made 2 lists: have to haves & nice to haves. I gave that list to the salesman & told him when he got something in that fit my criteria I'd come look at it. It took him less than a week to locate the truck we ended up buying. We got a 1yr with balance of warranty, low mileage & more options than we requested (including Flomaster exhaust & Rhino bedliner) for less than half what a new one, optioned the same would've cost us. It paid having him doing the legwork.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Make friends with a local used car/truck salesman, that's what we did when we were shopping for a truck for our previous 5-r. I had researched the 3 major brands (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) & made 2 lists: have to haves & nice to haves. I gave that list to the salesman & told him when he got something in that fit my criteria I'd come look at it. It took him less than a week to locate the truck we ended up buying. We got a 1yr with balance of warranty, low mileage & more options than we requested (including Flomaster exhaust & Rhino bedliner) for less than half what a new one, optioned the same would've cost us. It paid having him doing the legwork.

Lori-
What do you mean by "5-r"?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
5-r, 5er or 5ver - 5th wheel-type RV, so named because it uses a 5th wheel hitch mounted in the truck bed over the rear axle

TT, bumper pull - conventionally-towed travel trailer-type RV pulled by a hitch at the rear of the tow vehicle.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You might also want to try working with an auto broker - my credit union has one as a service to its members and it works on both new and used cars and can also handle your trade.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2007 Tahoe and a 5200 lb trailer and I wouldn't use ANYTHING smaller than the Tahoe. The Tahoe does fine with a weight distribution / anti-sway hitch for all but the steepest passes. We spent 7 weeks around Durango this Summer and the Tahoe was "just" adequate.

It's our second Tahoe and our second trailer right around 5,000 lb and really that's about maxed out right there. Take my word for it. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that would say "no way" to our rig. I sure wish you could still get a Tahoe with the 6L engine. But you can't.

So, I would say, from my 7 years of experience - don't look at anything smaller than the Tahoe.
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
creativepart - I thought your TT looked familar - I also have an AF 22H. I tried towing with a 99 Tahoe and it was a real chore - however I was right at the 12,000 lb CGWR. My TT tips the scales at closer to 5600 lbs. I think that I would prefer going the 2500HD Burb route - that way you can get the nice towing mirrors that are NA on the Tahoe along with the 6.0, 6spd, and 3.73 Rear Axle. Of course the 6sp tranny was not offered until 2008.

BTW have you looked at www.afnash.com - it is a site for owners of AF and Nash TTs.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Randy,
I'm a member over at the Nash Forum as well. Same username. I sold the AF 22H last Fall and ordered a brand new 2010 25S. We picked it up from Thunder RV in Feb and have been enjoying the daylights out of it. So far we've spent 2+ full months in it this year.

I got the 25S instead of the other heavier models with slides because of our Tahoe. As soon as I got it home from Oregon I upgraded the WD Hitch to make everything beefier. It's pretty much OK accept in the mountains, and then the only real problem is on the really steep grades.

We're looking at the 2500 Suburban's. But I had planned on keeping my Tahoe another year or two. We'll have to see. I guess if I keep the Tahoe, I'll put some LT tires on it and some HD Gas Shocks -- if not airbags on the springs.

Knowing us, we'll probably just go with the burb.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
CP - I tried the LT tires and HD shocks on my old Tahoe - however the biggest improvement came when I went from 550lb spring bars to 1000lb bars - my tounge wt is 650lbs and I usually haul wood and gear in the rear of the rig (truck or Tahoe).

The old Tahoe handled my older 4000lb liteweight TT with ease - I did not think that 1000 lbs would make so much of a difference - but it really did.

I looked at the 08 2500HD Burbs - they were almost twice what I paid for my truck! and had lower tow rating.

I usually like to keep vehicles at least 10yrs or 100,000 mi whichever comes first - the Tahoe was my first TV to not last that long before trading.

Found you on the other forum - good luck with your 25S - I am sticking with the 22H.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I too had to increase my springs on the WD Hitch. I had lighter roundbar springs on the Reese WD hitch with no anti-sway on my old 22h and it was an instant problem on the 25S.

I swtiched to 1200 lb bars on a new Husky Centerline Hitch and that helped a lot.

My wife is a tad claustrophobic and the captive bed on the 22H became a problem for her. So, the 25s is pretty much the same trailer with a walkaround bed.

The unintended benefit to the 25S is the extra width. The 22h is 8' wide and the 25S is 8.6' wide. What a difference that extra width makes. It's amazing.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The new 10 and 11 AF 22H are also wide bodies and they made the bed longer. Compared to many small TT plans the bed in the 22H is great. I used to have a TT with a rear corner bed - now that was a tight squeeze. We also like the big bathroom as well.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
The Suburban 2500HD is difficult to find. There are only a couple in my area and they are all loaded to the gills. I wouldn't mind a new 2010 at a lower price either, but according to Chevy there aren't any within 150 miles of here.

I assume that the Ford Expedition is pretty much the same as the Tahoe. It does have more HP and torque, but not much.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, the Expo is the same as the Tahoe - the Excursion was the burb equal. I went to the truck because it fit my lifestyle - ext cab for the dogs and occ passenger. The next option is to get one of them on special order - talk to the fleet manager/buyer at your local Chevy Dealer and see what kind of deal he can make. I have not used a front end salesman since 89 - bought all my cars from the same fleet person. My last truck was so simple - went in - had a cup of coffee - went over the option list, priced it out - consulted the DW the bank and pulled the trigger. One more hint - almost 90% of the fleet managers business is in trucks so they usually know how to equip them for towing etc.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #27

We have decided to go w/ a Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab with diesel. It will have the tow package.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #28
CD

That should be a very good choice. Just remember, speed is not your friend. My personal experience is when I reduced my speed from 65 to 60 I get about 10% better milage ($.30 per gal). Also as speed goes up control goes down.
Have fun with you new rig.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote