Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #1

Best SUV for towing your TT

We are looking into replacing our van in the next six months or so and we would like to find an SUV with third row seating to tow our 25' travel trailer with GVW of 4920 fully loaded (weighed on CAT scales).

We've looked at a GMC Acadia (really liked it, and apparently GM does too based on the price), and we looked at the Buick Enclave (didn't even look at the price).

Any other suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
CD

First, I know nothing about the SUV you are looking at. I would highly recomend something built on a 3/4T (1T is better) chassis with LT tires etc. I would guess what you are looking at will have P rated tires. It is not about the power but about the handling. Can you make a fast/hard lane change and not loose control? You can add an expensive hitch such as a Hensley (they are very good) but a bigger/heavier Tow vehicle will do it with less. I have towed a 23' TT about the same weight as your's with a 3/4T PU with LT tires and a very stiff suspension (DW complained about the ride often) and I didn't want any less.
Good Luck with your choice and don't believe what the sales people tell you.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Our Toyota 4-Runner is set to tow 7200, but with the short wheelbase I wouldn't want to go anywhere near that much. Right now we pull 4500-4600 in a 24' tt. You can get a 3rd row in the 4-Runner line, but very tight in back.

Quote:
We've looked at a GMC Acadia (really liked it, and apparently GM does too based on the price), and we looked at the Buick Enclave (didn't even look at the price).
I forget what the Chevy version is, but I didn't think the towing cap. was over 5500. A friend of ours has the Chevy version and is very much at his limit. for his 25' tt.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Dodge Durango we used to tow our 25ft Aerolite TT (7.5ft wide/no slides) had a 3rd row seat. It was pretty tight back there though. It also had a short wheel-base & was at it's capacity with that TT.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & Jeep Liberty Limited, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
First, I know nothing about the SUV you are looking at. I would highly recommend something built on a 3/4T (1T is better) chassis with LT tires etc. I would guess what you are looking at will have P rated tires. It is not about the power but about the handling. Can you make a fast/hard lane change and not loose control? You can add an expensive hitch such as a Hensley (they are very good) but a bigger/heavier Tow vehicle will do it with less. I have towed a 23' TT about the same weight as yours with a 3/4T PU with LT tires and a very stiff suspension (DW complained about the ride often) and I didn't want any less.
Good Luck with your choice and don't believe what the sales people tell you.
We were either looking at the GMC Acadia (which can tow 4,500lbs.) or the Sequoia (which can tow 7,400lbs.). My husband wants to go for the Tundra CrewMax (which can tow 9,900lbs.). So that's all that we have looked @ so far.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #6

If you like GMs, what about the Tahoe/Yukon? I wouldn't think you would be looking at too much more $$$ than an Acadia. The Tundra automatically is out--no 3rd row seating. The Sequoia would be more $$ than a Tahoe?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #7

I second the Tahoe/Yukon class - also look at the Ford Expedition/ Merc Mountineer/ Lincoln Navigator. While the Acadia has three rows of seating - it also has a 5200 lb tow capacity - which is barely enough for your TT.

05 Arctic Fox 22H
Randy the sly old fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm surprised no one has suggested the Suburban. It's like the Yukon, with a longer wheelbase. You can carry more stuff, and the longer wheelbase makes it an even more stable towing platform.

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:01 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If one could find a clean, low mileage vehicle, I'd put my vote in for a 7.3L diesel-powered Ford Excursion as the ultimate SUV suitable for towing a TT.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #10

According to the GMC website, the Acadia can tow 5,200lbs. and not 4,500lbs. Our trailer (w/ some water in the tanks and loaded with food and clothes) weighs in @ 4,920lbs. (Cat Scales) In ya'lls opinion, is that too close of a margin to tow w/ the GMC? Or does what I'm asking make no sense at all?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
stargazer, I'd go up in size from the Acadia for a 25' trailer. The one thing the weight rating does not consider is the size of the trailer. I want a well equipped full 1/2 ton vehicle.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #12

I'm surprised no one has suggested the Suburban. It's like the Yukon, with a longer wheelbase. You can carry more stuff, and the longer wheelbase makes it an even more stable towing platform

The Burb has the same drivetrain as the Tahoe so the CGWR is the same - the burb is heavier so the tow rating is actually less - yes it has more room for the third seat - and behind it but no more real weight capacity. That said there is a 3/4T (2500) version of the burb that has the larger 6.0L engine - however at 8500 lbs the tow rating is still less than that of the HD trucks.

05 Arctic Fox 22H
Randy the sly old fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Suburban or Tahoe are great for towing TT.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #14

My wife finally decided that the Acadia (though roomy for our son) probably isn't the best vehicle to tow our TT. I'm trying to talk her into a Dodge Mega Cab 2500 diesel. More than enough room for our son (who already is tall for a 12yr. old) and daughter (doctors say will be tall also). And I'd rather have too much pulling power and not just barley enough pulling power. Now all I have to do is find one that doesn't have a million miles on it and costing $50,000! Hopefully we will have something picked out by spring break (were going to Big Bend State Park). Oh, B.T.W. everyone thanks for your input an suggestions.