Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #1

Best Sway Control

Hello all and let me thank you in advance for any help. I am hauling a 24 ft springdale tt gross at app. 6000 pounds with a Ford f-250. I use a weight distributing hitch and sway control (husky friction bar). But I am looking to upgrade my sway control and VALUE is my chief concern. The reese dual cam, propride and hensley arrow I have seen online. Are the propride and hensley really worth the substantial cost over the reese? also since wind can increase sway I travel through high wind areas in Colorado and wanted to know if anyone has heard of a limit on the wind gusts i.e. mph that no trailer should attempt driving in.
Johncamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
CD

Johncamps
Welcome to irv2. This is a great forum. I am going to suggest something that most won't say. Increase the tire capacity. Most RVs have only enough to be legal. Extra capacity/size will increase stability tremendously. I have had that happen.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You have a good set up there so it may not make much of a difference however the Hensley and dual cam systems do prevent sway where as friction sway bars only help control the sway once it has started. Are you having sway issues with your setup?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been using the Reese dual cam HP for about 3 years now and it works great. I can't see the reason to spend the extra to go to a Hensley or a ProPride.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #5

thanks for the input. I haven't had any sway problems but don't want to wait until it happens to address it. I would like to give myself a safe margin for error. I did tow the same trailer with an f-150 but at the elevations in the Rocky Mountains and through mountain passes (rabbit ears, etc) I wanted a better combination and the 250 with the tow haul feature coming down Monarch Pass this spring was a charm
Johncamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #6

When I had a PU camper on my 3/4 GMC I installed a Helwig rear sway bar because I felt that the rig was a little unstable.

Although I have no scientific evidence, I FEEL that it increases stabliity while towing my TT (9000# plus hitch). I also have a sway bar on the WD hitch.
mhcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #7

Best sway control

I'm on my second 5th wheel now, but on the travel trailer I had before the 5th wheels I had the Hensley. There was NO SWAY period, from the wind or from the big truck passing. It's a big bucks item, but if you two a lot it's worth every penny.
scheppman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #8

There are hitches that dampen sway, and there are hitches that eliminate it. There is no comparison between the two (none). The best of the former is the REESE Dual Cam, and of the latter, the ProPride (and if it will fit your vehicle) the PULLRITE.

The Hensley (which I own and will eventually sell) is much improved by the original designer/patent-holder Jim Hensley, in the ProPride, if for nothing else in the ability to make finer, more accurate adjustments for proper weight-distribution.

Best hitch rigging trumps bigger tow vehicle any day. I can do maneuvers with mine that will put any 5'er or conventionally rigged TT in the ditch. And do it all day long.

I'm third generation RV'er and owner of aerodynamic aluminum trailers (which themselves are far more roadworthy than any square box), and the sway eliminating hitch is, (along with disc brakes), the gold standard.

The size or weight of the trailer has nothing to do with it. The tail wags the dog, so improve the performance envelope with one of these hitches for ANY TT or TV combination. Same with best brakes and brake controller (and associated wiring). All of it is cheap in comparison.

It only takes one time, one incident, one momentary lapse of attention. In all the thousands of threads on all the RV forums one will notice -- in these arguments -- that the driver is always healthy, attentive, rested and experienced in all situations (as a truck driver I'd take issue with any of those, and will caution greatly that combinations of tired, distracted momentarily while driving in a construction zone AND in the rain . . . it only takes once) so even a compromised hitch design is "fine". Bull.

Getting there, and back, without incident is all that matters. So hitch rigging (using a certified scale), brakes, tires, shock absorbers, LED trailer external lighting, etc, etc, are all of first importance.

So take your time in set-up, know the numbers, and keep records. The best hitch is a no-brainer.

Good luck

Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #9

the Equal-i-zer is a great hitch, the hensley and the Pullrite are the best if you want to spend the big bucks.
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck1 View Post
the Equal-i-zer is a great hitch, the hensley and the Pullrite are the best if you want to spend the big bucks.
In the same way that re-treaded bias belt tires are fine if you don't want new radial tires. The "big bucks" aren't relevant when it matters. And, compare to the cost of the TV or TT it's pennies.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would love to have a Hensley Arrow, but with my truck and trailer, a properly set up Reese Dual Cam HP gets the job done and no problems. The thing with the Reese it is a well proven design that does work. In my case, I have plenty of truck and it can handle the trailer. The other thing is the trailers, a Silver Streak and the Avion are both well balanced aerodynamic trailers that tow easily.

What ever hitch you decide to use, make sure it is set up correctly and you have a reasonable weight on the tongue when loaded. Also go with a top rated brake controller. I think the MaxBrake is the best add-on on the market now.

Setting up a hitch is not heard, it can take some time if you are new to setting up a WD hitch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote