Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Never had any backing up issues with my Equal-I-Zer.

I did get tired of the noise.

I cut four small strips of teflon, about 1/8" thick, and epoxied them to the inside and bottom of the L, where some people suggested grease.

It has rendered the unit silent, except for VERY sharp turns, where I may get a single POP. Does not seem to affect the other functions. Still uses friction, but quieter friction, not metal-to-metal.
I did the same but paid for the Equal-I-zer pads. Made a huge difference in noise.

DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #16

I have the pads and just greased the hell out of the joints on the equalizer and absolutely not a peep out of it.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't mind the noise myself. No one rise has complained to me personally.

Yet.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflippin View Post
Hi Everyone, when looking at WDS there are enough products to make your head spin. I know I want WDS with sway control that allows backing up. I'm willing to spend the money. I also know the system depends on the weight of camper and tongue weight. The tongue weight on my trailer is 500lbs. My questions is what is the best product out there from your perspective and experience? Thanks
Ok, nobody has asked. How do you know your tongue weight is 500 lbs? Have you actually weighed it when the trailer was full of everything that will be in it when you go camping? Is it full of water? Do you travel with black/gray tanks full or partially full?

Is the 500 lbs the advertised "dry weight"? Does the trailer have options or accessories on it?

All of these can add huge amount of weight to the tongue and needs to be considered when purchasing the correct size of weight distribution device.

My previous TT had an advertised dry weight of 580 lbs. Once loaded, it was a little over 800 lbs. I started with a simple WD unit with a friction bar....then two friction bars....then conversion to a Dual Cam...and finally, bit the bullet and got a used Hensley Arrow.

However, the title of this thread refers to the "best" WDS..... The only answer to that question is either the Hensley Arrow or the Pro Pride.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTG173 View Post
I did the same but paid for the Equal-I-zer pads. Made a huge difference in noise.
I didn't realize they made pads for it. I guess I should have looked it up before I made mine.

Gonna look it up now...
Old 11-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just make some pads out of some plastic sheeting and figure out how to keep them in place. Maybe a thin plastic cutting sheet from the dollar store? Cheap and easy.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #21

I originally bought a thin cutting board, but when I got home, I found an old piece of teflon sheet, and used it. Scuffed the sheet up, and the metal, and used 5-minute epoxy.

Held up so far...
Old 11-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
However, the title of this thread refers to the "best" WDS..... The only answer to that question is either the Hensley Arrow or the Pro Pride.
Is that so? And what about the Pullrite?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
PullRite - Worry-free Travel Trailer Towing | PullRite Hitches

The Pullrite travel trailer hitch probably works as good as the ProPride, and costs about the same. The big difference is the Pullrite is mounted on the truck, so it requires a different hitch for every different tow vehicle. The ProPride mounts on the trailer. So if you trade tow vehicles, you have to buy a new Pullrite, but the old ProPride stays on the trailer and can be used with any tow vehicle that has a 2" receiver.

I tow my TT with my F-150, but Darling GrandDaughter is going to borrow it for a couple of months, tow it with her F-250, and use it for full-timing while she serves an internship out in the middle of the California desert. No problem with the ProPride hitch on the TT, which will plug right into her 2" receiver.

And if you upgrade trailers, you can move the ProPride hitch to the new trailer. It's not quick or simple to move the ProPride, but it can be done with a bit of work. That's why I leave my ProPride on my TT, and use my Strait-Line on the cargo trailer.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post

Pullrite is an excellent unit...but as Smoky mentioned above, it is pretty much restricted to a vehicle type/brand. As most people will change out their tow vehicle every few years, the Pullrite then is usually sold with the tow vehicle it is mounted on and the person has to purchase another WD unit.

So, unless you plan on keeping your tow vehicle for a long period of time, it's probably best to go with the ProPride or Hensley that can be used with any tow vehicle or any TT.

Ron
Old 11-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #25
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I think that maybe a word of explanation is in order here. The Hensley/Pro-Pride/Pullrite systems all relocate the hitch pivot point to the center of the rear axle. This eliminates any leverage that the trailer can impart to the tow vehicle, eliminating the cause for tow vehicle to sway. This is why tractor trailers and 5th wheels do not have "sway" the way a travel trailer does.

The Reese strait-line dual cam setup, and others with friction damping have the pivot in the standard location, but use weight distribution and leverage (or friction) to manage the forces that cause sway. They do help manage sway, and the Reese is very good (from my own experience) but they are definitely second tier as compared to the high-end hitches. For my uses the Reese was fine because I was towing with a big, long Dodge Diesel pickup, well with-in the GCVW rating. Your needs may require more if your tow vehicle is smaller and/or your trailer is larger.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I think that maybe a word of explanation is in order here. The Hensley/Pro-Pride/Pullrite systems all relocate the hitch pivot point to the center of the rear axle. This eliminates any leverage that the trailer can impart to the tow vehicle, eliminating the cause for tow vehicle to sway. This is why tractor trailers and 5th wheels do not have "sway" the way a travel trailer does.

The Reese strait-line dual cam setup, and others with friction damping have the pivot in the standard location, but use weight distribution and leverage (or friction) to manage the forces that cause sway. They do help manage sway, and the Reese is very good (from my own experience) but they are definitely second tier as compared to the high-end hitches. For my uses the Reese was fine because I was towing with a big, long Dodge Diesel pickup, well with-in the GCVW rating. Your needs may require more if your tow vehicle is smaller and/or your trailer is larger.
Excellent explanation.

Ron

Tags
weight