Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Better receiver hitch out there?

I got rear ended today. Everybody's fine, only minor damage.
The bumper and receiver hitch will be replaced. Which brings me to my question..
Is there a better receiver hitch than the Ford OEM class-5 hitch?

2016 F-250 6.2L
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyB View Post
Is there a better receiver hitch than the Ford OEM class-5 hitch?

2016 F-250 6.2L
The OEM receiver on your F-250 is not what I call a Class 5 receiver. It has max trailer weight capacity of 12,500 pounds.

Assuming by "better receiver hitch" you mean a brand-name receiver with more weight capacity that the OEM receiver, then yes, there are several true Class 5 receivers on the market that will fit your F-250.

My choice would be the Reese Titan Trailer Hitch Receiver Class V - with 2-1/2" receiver. 18,000 pounds max trailer weight, 2,000 pounds max tongue weight. Like this one:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eid=2016301027

Other brands are available with slightly different weight capacities. Here are the ones available from etrailer.com:
https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2016_...rl=-pt-Class_V

If you want to go hog wild with hitch weight capacity, check out the $800 TorqLift in the link above. •Rating: Class V ◦Maximum gross trailer weight when used with weight distribution: 30,000 lbs. ◦Maximum tongue weight when used with weight distribution: 3,000 lbs.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #3

Insurance is requiring a "used, like new" hitch. This is totally unacceptable to me.
New OEM hitch is about $530.
The junkyard hitch they want is about $130.
A 16k B&W hitch is $185 on eTrailer. (Yes, the OEM is 12.5k rated)
Old 10-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Insurance is requiring a "used, like new" hitch. This is totally unacceptable to me.
It would be totally unacceptable to me as well! Since you were the one hit it would continue to argue with them.
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

The insurance company shouldn't want to replace your hitch with a used one--for liability's reasons.

Give them the options of a new OEM hitch @ $500ishp--or tell'em the B&W is a perfectly acceptable option as far as you're concerned.

They should be glad to pay for the B&W hitch as they're first class units in workmanship and materials.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #6

Best I've gotten is I can pay the difference between whats authorized and any 'upgrade' I want to make.
So I'll probably buy one myself and submit the bill for reimbursement.
No way in hell they're putting a junkyard hitch on my truck.
So Monday I'm letting Ford fix the bumper and wiring harness, but not the hitch, instead I want them to give me a detailed bill on the hitch.
Bamaman, I was try to argue safety and the claims girl argument was "we guarantee the hitch so we would cover the liability..".
Really??? The company would rather save literally $50 now and expose themselves to tens of thousands of risk.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #7

Not a 150.
It's a 250
Old 10-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not a 150.
It's a 250
Yep. My bad.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #9

Quote:
That's very common. It's typically written into the insurance policy that they will only use new OEM parts if you carry additional coverage for it. Aftermarket and used parts are common in repairs, even if it's not your fault. You can typically pay the difference though if you want new OEM, or you can talk to the repair shop and work out a deal with them where they will bill the insurance company for the cost of the used one, and you can pay the balance directly to them, which may be less.

I got lucky when someone hit my parked truck. The insurance company said I needed a new bumper and receiver. The adjuster was an idiot and didn't actually crawl under the truck to see that it was a factory hitch that actually attaches to the frame. He quoted about $80 for a bolt-on model that attaches to the bumper. The shop I used argued with them that it was the wrong part, the adjuster agreed to use a non-OEM direct replacement, but the shop couldn't find one, so I got a brand new OEM one, at no cost to me.