RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
mre

Big Block V-8 vs. 3.5 Eco Boost

We are RVers. We travel extensively -- 5-6 months a year. Over the years, we have had to large 5th wheels and towed by two diesel duallies. We have travelled all over North America. In doing so, neither truck missed a beat and travelled flawlessly in high temperatures over all types of driving including the Rockies.

We are looking to downsize to a ˝ ton and tow a 30 foot travel trailer. The weight of the trailer loaded will be in the 8500 lbs. range. Two-thirds of the mileage on the diesels were towing miles and we plan to use the ˝ ton and travel trailer the same way. I suspect that with the stuff we will carry in the pick-up bed, we will be within 90% of the truck GCWR.

I looking at trucks by the Big Three (mostly interested in the Big Two) the Ford 3.5 Eco Boost sounds impressive. However, in my mind, a big block V-8 (as in GM) in our case would be the way to go as I am not sure that the EBs are designed to be used in the same capacity as I have use the diesel’s. Also, the EBs power ratings are nearly the same as the Ford V-10’s in the F-53 Chassis motorhomes. Are the EB’s not strong or heavy duty enough to use in the gas motorhomes?

I don’t want to get into a Ford vs. Chevy thing. I have had both and to me it’s all about meeting a need.

Any thoughts and/or experiences?

mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How does that saying go ......

'There's no replacement, for Displacement' !!

Old 01-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #3

I don't think Ford puts the EB in MHs or 3/4 ton trucks because they're busy wedging them into every F150, Expedition, and Mustang they can.

I drove a EB for 5 years without a hiccup: it's a plenty stout engine and proven by this point.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

I started out pulling a 30ft tt with a half ton. It wasn't much fun stressing each and every time we took a trip. Long story short is we found a dually in our price point and eliminated the need for the w/d and anti sway garbage and gained all the power, stability and stopping ability we needed. Good luck and safe travels.
shoeing dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
mre

[QUOTE=Freqz;4004241]I don't think Ford puts the EB in MHs or 3/4 ton trucks because they're busy wedging them into every F150, Expedition, and Mustang they can. QUOTE]

Actually, I did not mean that in the literal sense, but to make the point that it the EB may not be strong enough to use it the way I intend to use it. However, I feel that if the EB would work for the motor home chassis, Ford would gladly discontinue the V-10 and replace it with the EB. I do like the 3.5 EB as I have one in my Ford.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #6

[QUOTE=mre;4004267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
I don't think Ford puts the EB in MHs or 3/4 ton trucks because they're busy wedging them into every F150, Expedition, and Mustang they can. QUOTE]

Actually, I did not mean that in the literal sense, but to make the point that it the EB may not be strong enough to use it the way I intend to use it. However, I feel that if the EB would work for the motor home chassis, Ford would gladly discontinue the V-10 and replace it with the EB. I do like the 3.5 EB as I have one in my Ford.

Ford doesn't have any reason to do that right now. They can sell every EB they can crank out in higher margin products (which also have fuel economy requirements that the others don't have)
Old 01-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeing dude View Post
I started out pulling a 30ft tt with a half ton. It wasn't much fun stressing each and every time we took a trip. Long story short is we found a dually in our price point and eliminated the need for the w/d and anti sway garbage and gained all the power, stability and stopping ability we needed. Good luck and safe travels.
Long story short, these are the parameters I have to work with. Otherwise I would do something a little different. Years ago I had a 1993 TT and I know what you are talking about. However, with anti-sway control on the half ton trucks and some of the W/D sway control towing systems on the market, it appears that much of what was previously experienced in the old’n days has been, for the most part, eliminated.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

If you want a 'big block' engine, you are going to have to go back several years. Even the Ford V10 isn't a 'big block' type.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #9

Personally, I'd go Ford F-250 Crew cab, 4x4 with the 6.2L gas motor in it.

The motor is awesome, but it is gas, and has the 6 speed tranny behind it.

Will be WAY more fun than using a 1/2 ton with most of the payload used up already just starting out.

Griz
2011 F-250 SD CCSB 6.2L Lariat 115k on it.
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
If you want a 'big block' engine, you are going to have to go back several years. Even the Ford V10 isn't a 'big block' type.
I agree. I was looking at it in terms today's standards and not the standards of yester-year. I had a V-10 in a motor home and just can't image an EB replacing it. However, there have been tremendous stride in technology so I guess anything is possible.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #11

From my experience you need a bigger truck. I have a 28 ft TT that weighs about the same as yours. I had a 14 F150 V8. It pulled ok but was not fun to drive. White knuckling it all the way. After the 3rd trip (less then 100 miles each) I traded the 14 F150 in for a 17 Ram 2500 (gasser). Best move ever. So much more easier to drive. I feel tons more comfortable. I live in Indiana so pretty flat. There is a large hill leading up from Nashville to Brown Co State park that we go to a lot and with the F150 I thought I was going to have to get out and help push. Just kidding but it really dropped mph going up. Now no problems keeping speed steady. I added air bags to the F150 to help level it out since the back sagged quite a bit. Helped with that but still sucked. You should really look at a 2500 in my opinion.
bwinger73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ View Post
Personally, I'd go Ford F-250 Crew cab, 4x4 with the 6.2L gas motor in it.

The motor is awesome, but it is gas, and has the 6 speed tranny behind it.

Will be WAY more fun than using a 1/2 ton with most of the payload used up already just starting out.

Griz
2011 F-250 SD CCSB 6.2L Lariat 115k on it.
I agree, however, DW feels she can drive an F-150 and not an F-250. So this is the parameter I have to work with.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #13

The 3.5 may have nearly the same HP as the 6.8 but you will probably need a 10 speed transmission to keep it in the HP range.
You need to look at the HP and torque curves.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #14

That's a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton, any 1/2 ton. Especially if you are used to a diesel dually. I second the idea of a 3/4 ton, diesel if you can, gas if you want to.
Speaking from the perspective of someone who had to upgrade from a 1/2 ton gasser to 3/4 ton diesel to get to a comfortable place towing my 7,000 lb TT.

purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote