Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2018, 11:19 PM   #141

[QUOTE=Monacoach;4063273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
If I am not in a hurry, yes otherwise I go around them on the right if it is safe to do so legal or not.
Same as when they are in an exit only lane and slowly ride it up to the front to cut in to the backed up traffic. THAT is my exit lane to MY home and you'd best mooove! LOL

I got my license at 16 in 86 and have had over 10 wrecks in car and MC both and exactly 2 were my fault so I must be doing more than half right at how I feel is the correct way to drive. And people didn't use to do the things they are doing of late (GPS, cellphones, dialing up an IPOD, etc.). Used to be inattentiveness was dialing the radio knob or trying to read or refold a map, LOL
---------------------------------'-----------------------------

over ten accidents? you might want to consider a defensive driving course
Not fault accidents??!! I pay attention, I watch out, I cover all my bases and still get creamed. What on earth would a defensive drivers course do?
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #142

Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Interesting. I guess that would explain why in some states its illegal to cut in front of a big rig too soon after passing.

And they will be enforcing that as well as the new Do Not Impede Left Lane law among others I am sure.

And 2, my car doesn't have cruise control. I have driven the equivalent of going around the world 6+ times in about 2 years (132k + in this car alone) just driving for work in my state alone. My right foot only bunion is killing me but I bet you I am far more aware of everything going on by having to keep my foot on the gas as opposed to using cruise and chilling out and relaxing.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:23 AM   #143

[QUOTE=6x16inside;4065281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post

Not fault accidents??!! I pay attention, I watch out, I cover all my bases and still get creamed. What on earth would a defensive drivers course do?
Some people just don't get it!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #144

[QUOTE=6x16inside;4065281]
Quote:

I suggest you take a motorcycle riding class. Talk about needing defensive driving skills. 12 straight years of riding MC's and I had enough. Figured I'd get out while I'm still walking. Every thing I learned from those years of riding I've carried over to my driving style. I drive like people don't see me.
Got my license in 1969. Have never been in an accident that was my fault. And only one accident with another vehicle. When I was 17 years old and another student friend ran a stop sign and I broadsided him in my parents car.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #145

Here's the way I see it. Diving in today's traffic has to be a team effort, I don't care how great a driver you think you are, you have to work with those around you. Some here have rambled on about the law says this or the law says that, keep 200 feet here or 700 feet there, hold your speed here and speed up here. None of it's a given. Every scenario is different, and many require split second decisions. While keeping safety cushions sounds good, the reality is that in heavy traffic it's just not going to happen! If everybody followed every traffic law in heavy traffic in most any city I'm sure traffic would come to a screeching halt. So yea, sometimes your going to have to briefly drive a little faster than you want to in order to get out of the way, or maybe you'll need to make someone slow down a little in order to let a merging vehicle avoid hitting the wall or slamming on his brakes and causing an accident. It's not the way we want to drive, it's the way we're forced to drive. We're no longer driving on the lightly traveled hi ways we did 40 or 50 years ago. Most hi ways through cities are majorly inadequate for today's heavy traffic. We need to adapt and cooperate if we want to see traffic flow efficiently!
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #146

Quote:

Be open minded and try the Defensive Drivers Course, there are alot of good points taught from the course. A common point stressed, is to anticipate what the other driver might do and to plan your reaction. Education is a good thing.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #147

[QUOTE=Cumminsfan;4065632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post

I suggest you take a motorcycle riding class. Talk about needing defensive driving skills. 12 straight years of riding MC's and I had enough. Figured I'd get out while I'm still walking. Every thing I learned from those years of riding I've carried over to my driving style. I drive like people don't see me.
^^^^Agree. Me too. Amen
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

Be open minded and try the Defensive Drivers Course, there are alot of good points taught from the course. A common point stressed, is to anticipate what the other driver might do and to plan your reaction. Education is a good thing.

Yup. You can anticipate what a car will do by watching the driver's mannerisms and movements of the vehicle.
A valuable skill I learned while riding a motorcycle among all the cars that were trying to run over me.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:15 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
Sigh. Guess the rest of us should stay home leave the interstate to the real men, huh?
Aw just an attempt at humor, lighten up 😀
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Do you live in Oregon?
Nah just a little humor. My daughter lives in Portland. I drove Seattle to Medford pulling triples for Reddaway 3x a week, for 5 years. I've seen my share of nutty drivers just like most of us who have driven for a few years.

It does get frustrating for truckers at times, especially when someone cuts in front and slams on their brakes. Actually kind of the same thing when you're pulling your TT I guess.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:30 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejac55 View Post
LAPD? When does LA traffic get over 5MPH?
Yep Highland Park was his station last dozen years. He retired and was running long haul but finished up running a local shuttle near Stockton.

I spent 5 years as an EMT1 and 15 years as a Paramedic in LA, picked up my share of not so bright drivers, they exist everywhere.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:55 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
I’d like for you and others to re-think this. Especially with an RV.

Moving left to accommodate entering traffic = bad habit.

For traffic struggling to get to speed, a little different. BUT! Today’s big trucks are rocket ships in comparison to those of 1990 and earlier.

Rarely if ever the need.

The habit translates into mindlessly cutting off the braking distance and vision of those in the left lane.

And it’s no courtesy. Not any more. It’s just a bad habit.
Nah it's different when I have three trailers behind me. If I don't move I run them right off the road and yes I have done that. I can't speed up quick enough to make any difference.

I drove some belly dumps for a few months filling in between jobs, those trucks had the power and could actually get up and go when you mashed the pedal. When pulling three trailers with a little single screw truck that has a governor, speeding up just isn't an option.

Sometimes there's a line behind me cussing me out I'm sure. Each instance is a judgement call, sometimes I'll just figure they deserve running out of lane because they didn't look until they got to the end of the ramp. I try to drive with courtesy but it's difficult sometimes.

I have a pretty good idea how to merge, I've been driving for 48 years, 20 years driving emergency vehicles and 25 years driving truck.

As to the Oregon comment I was just poking fun. I'm well aware of my fellow forum members that reside in Oregon.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
Nah just a little humor. My daughter lives in Portland. I drove Seattle to Medford pulling triples for Reddaway 3x a week, for 5 years. I've seen my share of nutty drivers just like most of us who have driven for a few years.

It does get frustrating for truckers at times, especially when someone cuts in front and slams on their brakes. Actually kind of the same thing when you're pulling your TT I guess.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #154

6X16-- like you I also got my license at 16 as did a majority of drivers, unlike you in 5 MILLION miles of over the road driving and many uncounted miles in a 4 wheeler I have had only 1 accident and it was definitely the other guys fault, I was stopped at a red light and the other guy made a left directly into the front of my truck. The number of accidents you have had says something about your driving style and I suggest as others have already stated you need some driving lessons. Also you state that you drive like people don"t see you, maybe they should and then they could avoid YOU. Also except in an emergency it is never safe to pass on the right shoulder, legal or not.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote